Dirty water

CondoWoman

I'm staying in a Condo near CMU which has dirty water - not just undrinkable but unusable for anything. The management seem unable or unwilling to do anything about the matter.

I don't really want to move so wonder if there is any way of forcing an improvement in the water quality?

Edited by CondoWoman

If the water is really "unuseable for anything" meaning you can not wash dishes, the floor or yourself and it will not work in the toilet, you should move. But of course you probably did not mean unuseable for anything did you? Just a little overstatement to add to the drama? What do your neighbors, the other building occupants do, do they use the water? Or do you even talk to them? Why bother, huh, there is not much they can do if they are renters.

What is needed probably is a filter system and perhaps a pump and storage tanks which cost money and would most likely be a collective decision by the owners.

I mean unusable for anything - it is full of black particles that stains cloths, toilets etc and it is not something you'd want in your hair.

The real bad black passes after a bit but black particles are always in the water.

Believe it is groundwater but the condo wants to change to city water but for some reason there is a blockage - the owners have voted a change but the committee can not make the change. Don't understand all the politics.

I did think maybe there was some local heath authority that would consider a complaint?

Don't want to move, it's a nice unit, nice location and nice landlord but looks like I'll have to go.

If the water is really "unuseable for anything" meaning you can not wash dishes, the floor or yourself and it will not work in the toilet, you should move. But of course you probably did not mean unuseable for anything did you? Just a little overstatement to add to the drama? What do your neighbors, the other building occupants do, do they use the water? Or do you even talk to them? Why bother, huh, there is not much they can do if they are renters.

What is needed probably is a filter system and perhaps a pump and storage tanks which cost money and would most likely be a collective decision by the owners.

Jeez, shame on you! What's with being so unhelpful, rude and cynical? Time of the month eh?

In fact, recently (within the last couple of weeks) the "non-government" water in our Moo Bann was filthy and totally unusable for anything except to the flush the toliets. Not only was it black but it left a muddy residue at the bottom of the toilet bowl; in the sink (when we were checking the quality) and in the water tank (which of course needed to be flushed out and cleaned). Evidently the filter in the water tower hadn't been cleaned in an age and the pump was sucking up dirty, muddy water (made worse because of the low water table) and distributing it. A quick word with the moobaan manager was effective enough to get some remedial work done and within a day or so we had clean water again. Maybe that's a route you can try and which might bring results. Of course if your neighbours are also suffering from the same problem then it might be more effective if a spokesperson for a group could have a word.

I would definably check at city hall to see if there is a health department that would come out and look it over.

I lived in the third biggest city in British Columbia Canada. The water system we were on looked dirty and the city checked it out and said it was OK as it was something that was picked up by the creek it passed through. We used it for every thing except drinking. It didn't feel good looking at it and then drinking it. It did not leave a stain on the toilets or bathtubs or any sediment.

If it is leaving sediment I am sure if there is a health department they could force some action.

The water in my condo has gone to heck as well. Leaves a white film on the dishes and anything else it touches. The sink and shower knobs are filthy with it within hours of being cleaned.

I'm out closer to the 700 year stadium, fairly new building.

The result of No rain, just buy a cartridge filter and install it where the water line enters your unit. 5 micron filter usually works best. The whole set up cost less than 1,000 baht, don't forget a valve to turn off the water into filter so you can conveniently change the cartridge when needed. Get a clear filter unit so you can see the condition of the filter. Filter cartridges cost less than 75 baht.

Well are getting very low now and people are still trying to draw the same amount of water from them, this lowers the level in the well and since there is no pressure from ground water from above (no rain) the water comes through rock strata that normally would not be used if there was water above this level, since the water is now flowing faster through these lower strata rocks the Dirt is washed from between the rocks and enters the well. Un like popular belief it is not Iron, just good old red dirt. A simple filter will fix the problem and it is cheap to do!

I mean unusable for anything - it is full of black particles that stains cloths, toilets etc and it is not something you'd want in your hair.

The real bad black passes after a bit but black particles are always in the water.

Believe it is groundwater but the condo wants to change to city water but for some reason there is a blockage - the owners have voted a change but the committee can not make the change. Don't understand all the politics.

I did think maybe there was some local heath authority that would consider a complaint?

Don't want to move, it's a nice unit, nice location and nice landlord but looks like I'll have to go.

That information clarifies your situation a lot.

As previously mentioned, you might try to get a group of tenants/occupants to send a representative, probably two or three to log a complaint and request action at The Chiang Mai Provincial Health Office at 410 Suthep Rd., Tel 211048 or Provincial Health Office 10 Suthep Road, Suthep, tel: (053) 211 048-50 (two different addresses from different web sites, call to confirm address).

You should try to have Thais do this with samples and photos of the water. If that office can not help they should be able to refer you to one that can but they are responsible for public health law enforcement.

The water that comes from the Moo Baan and out of the well is black here too (Hang Dong). Everybody has a sand pressure filter (these big blue steel things) before the pump. They need to be regularly cleaned (flush water through the opposite way) and sand has to be replaced. Your condo should have one of these things too, probably nobody takes care of it. I would talk to them and check, get maintenance done, does not cost much, and everybody will be happy afterwards.

Edited by MadMac