GPS / SATNAV

Hel123

I've just purchased a new Nissan Nirvana NP300 pick up....

I thought I'd order GPS / SATNAV but apparently not.

It's fitted with a Kenwood screen and seems to have everything except GPS / SATNAV

The Nissan dealership have quoted me 33000 baht to install a GPS / SATNAV is their an App that I can download onto my phone and then get it onto the screen via Bluetooth or similar ??

I'm not sure whe this is possible but if I can avoid spending a further 33000 Bahts it would be good.

Cheers

H

Hi There/.Hel123

Probably now not the case now (I see nissans website advertise GPS turn by turn etc) this might be on the top model truck only, or pay extra (as you have been quoted) to replace upgrade to a indash GPS spec player?. probably lost in translation? when buying your pickup.

Only Ford in Thailand (as far as i know - are offering Sync 3 soon (coming in the new Focus) will have option to display gps maps from your phone soon on your display, present Sync 2 in Thailand does not do this.

Best option- now you can use GPS map on a smart phone (i currently use Sygic maps on my Samsung phone) Download and pay the life time fee (mine was about 900 baht Thailand map) now believe alot cheaper? (from play store).

Sygic works fine for me - lots of options (head up display, speed camera, live traffic) i don't bother with these. (also has Bluetooth now, can display sound through your speakers in the truck). if you want.

You can mount your phone on the windscreen (lots of cheap mounts available), connect power lead (via usb socket car).

Free updates for life, many updates each year - plan routes, add way points, save these routes and many over things! - in the comfort of your house!

even if you have to buy a new phone (smart phone) and buy map, still alot cheaper than what you have been quoted!!! by nissan.

If you buy/pay the extra of a new unit from Nissan - map updates are far and few between (but costly also).

Hope this helps you!

cheers

I really have not heard anything good about in dash GPS units in any brand of vehicle. I have a 2015 Isuzu with the in dash unit. It doesn't hold a candle to my cheap Garmin that sticks to the windshield. I talked to Isuzu today and a new map will be available in early May. Hopefully that will improve the unit. They want 200 baht to install the new map. Any dedicated GPS is far better than a GPS phone.

Gary A, on 30 Mar 2016 - 22:23, said:

I really have not heard anything good about in dash GPS units in any brand of vehicle. I have a 2015 Isuzu with the in dash unit. It doesn't hold a candle to my cheap Garmin that sticks to the windshield. I talked to Isuzu today and a new map will be available in early May. Hopefully that will improve the unit. They want 200 baht to install the new map. Any dedicated GPS is far better than a GPS phone.

Ah ... so when Isuzu changed their 'on board' unit, they went away from the 'Garmin Like' unit? I had the 2012 V-Cross and it was very 'Garmin Like' and found it very good. Now I'm back to 'MAPS' which took some getting used to, but now I like 'Maps' and find it preferable. 'Maps has taken me down a couple of dead ends though!

I use it on a Galaxy Note 3... if only I could display it on the SYNC 2 screen.

You are lucky Isuzu wanted 1000 thb+ for the new map when I wanted one ... kept the old one.

. This post says it all.Plus with a Garmin you can sit in comfort and plot ,not huddled up trying to remember how this one works..

The Isuzu in dash unit is also rather confusing to use. Since I don't use it that often so I always forget how to do even simple things. The back up camera is great and it plays my iPod fine. I don't use the Bluetooth. The Garmin is intuitive and simple to use.

Gary A, on 30 Mar 2016 - 22:23, said:

Ah ... so when Isuzu changed their 'on board' unit, they went away from the 'Garmin Like' unit? I had the 2012 V-Cross and it was very 'Garmin Like' and found it very good. Now I'm back to 'MAPS' which took some getting used to, but now I like 'Maps' and find it preferable. 'Maps has taken me down a couple of dead ends though!

I use it on a Galaxy Note 3... if only I could display it on the SYNC 2 screen.

You are lucky Isuzu wanted 1000 thb+ for the new map when I wanted one ... kept the old one.

You can get your Samsung to display on the Sync screen you just need to buy an aftermarket box. Get you wife to go on the New Everest club website and there's loads of information about it and a reliable outfit in Bangkok that can install it.

Thanks guys - If I do buy a Garmin does anyone know where they're sold in Pattaya ?

Google is your friend

http://www.garmin.co.th/distributor/

Best selection and prices used to be in the S-ED stationers/bookshops in the various malls - Tukcom, Tesco Lotus on Pattaya Nua, Big C Extra etc. Occasionally also on offer in Lotus itself and maybe Big C Extra.

Find a store where someone is knowledgeable and can tell what the differences are.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice..........

Have to confess that up until now I've only ever had GPS/SATNAV that is factory fitted - So I have no idea which model of Garmin to purchase, if anyone can actually tell me the model and where to purchase it in Pattaya I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

H.

Google Maps just beats Garmin and all other GPS's now. The maps are updated, never any hassle with updating a outdated device. It's much easier to find your destination, using Google search algorithms, which is often a tedious operation on most GPS's. You can even use voice input. Sometimes the locations are off, but in general much better than an outdated Garmin map, which are quite often wrong. You also get a "streetview" of your destination, so if you are looking for a certain shop etc, you can actually see how the place looks like before your arrival.

The traffic information and estimates are real time. It also advises a different route if the traffic's changing. You can also add pit-stops etc. And best of all, its free! It's available on every smart phone out there.

Edited by mortenaa