Are European kids smarter than Thai kids?

Inspire

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another reason is this.

Government schools= 44 kids in a class.

Private schools = 12/15 kids in a class.

Which type of school would you say has the better chance of producing the cleverer student?

Government School with 44 clever Thai kids. laugh.png

Mine is a Chang large bottle.

The simple answer is that European children are usually smarter than their Thai peers. Over the past few decades, intelligence testing across nations has revealed true and genuine estimates of intelligence, based on nation/geographic region. A very good read and place to start an understanding of this topic is found in the work of Richard Lynn and JP Rushton. Basically, Thai kids have an average estimated IQ of 90, while Central and Western Europeans have an IQ of around 100. This 10 point difference matters significantly, as the ability to make sound decisions reveals itself in the everyday lives of people. People with lower IQs commit more crime, perform less well in school, have more children outside wedlock, sustain more injuries, and make poor choices within a social context. Often, when the public perceives "race" problems, they are actually seeing the evidence of a group's lower average intelligence. National IQ is related positively to wealth and productivity, as well as political unrest. Importantly, the underlying causes for differences in intelligence are largely genetic/biological in origin. Thus, IQ is a stable, reliable, and highly valid trait. There are certainly smart Thais, as well as stupid Europeans. But you are far more likely to encounter a comparatively smart European kid. Another issue is that the European kids here in Thailand are likely not representative of the population of Europe. I'm guessing they are children of fairly smart parents who have professional jobs here in Thailand. This would mean that their IQs are likely above 100, therefore accentuating any observed differences.

The ASEAN community is very diverse intellectually. Chinese people are genuinely much smarter than other Asian groups. If I had to guess, I would think that Thailand stands a very good chance of being exploited by some of their ASEAN partners.

http://www.ttu.ee/public/m/mart-murdvee/EconPsy/2/Lynn_Meisenberg_2010_National_IQs_calculated_and_validated_for_108_nations.pdf

an older study...lots of work has complemented Lynn's findings...but it's an interesting paper, and a very good introduction to an interesting topic...

"Chinese people are genuinely much smarter than other Asian groups. If I had to guess, I would think that Thailand stands a very good chance of being exploited by some of their ASEAN partners."

My considered opinion is that Chinese people are not much smarter than the "indigenous" people of the SEA countries they inhabit, as ethnic minorities.. The Chinese, they simply have a greater (developed) sense of genetic "solidarity, vis-a-vis_racial xenophobia", than do most of the indigenous Malay people of SEA; the Thais withstanding, in that regard.

Undeed, after nearly 7,000 years of human growth and development, the Chinese should be at the top of their game by now. That much is evidenced by the ease, with which the Chinese managed, with "subtlety", to totally dismantle the British Empire, of East/Southeast Asia.wai2.gif

In addition, Thais have already been deeply exploited, dating from 300 years ago, to the present day. The Elite establishment system of Thailand is firmly rooted within the fabric of the current Thai culture. So, what else is new news, on the multitude of Thai television networks, proliferated throughout The Kingdom, in that regard, I might ask, eh?coffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen