Restaurants near Loi Kroh Rd area.

jonesyb

>>It is surprising however poster "anto" had no idea that at least some of the ladies there are available for "take away", <<......not so surprising as i never got a sales pitch there .I am well used to sales pitches having lived down in Pattaya before .I did wonder about the rather butch LB there who has tried to give me the eye on occasion lol .

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>It is surprising however poster "anto" had no idea that at least some of the ladies there are available for "take away", <<......not so surprising as i never got a sales pitch there .I am well used to sales pitches having lived down in Pattaya before .I did wonder about the rather butch LB there who has tried to give me the eye on occasion lol .

If a bar runs a 'bar fine' system, then it's a hooker bar.

Straight bars don't do bar fines.

Yes ,and thats another reason i would not call Number one Bar a hooker bar .

I second the Riverside. Try checking out Lemongrass Thai Resto too in that area as their Thai dishes are also delicious.

For Thai food, Lemongrass is probably a better bet. They seem to get a lot of Thai custom.

I walked past there a couple times as I'm always on the lookout for good places around the Night Bazar. (a surprisingly challenging area for Thai restaurants actually) It tends to be full with backpackery types, probably there because of the TripAdvisor ranking which is very high.

But the place is cramped, hot (no aircon) and not particularly cheap. I just can't see going for a nice dinner there when you got spacious nice 'old Chiang Mai' kind of options in the Riverside, with a view and the breeze in your hair.

Don't bother to go there I was lured in by the good tripadvisor reviews and really fail to see what all the fuss is about. The Thai food is mediocre at it's best and atmosphere is indeed hot and crowded.

Yes.. it's an interesting case study on how quickly a good thing can be messed up. It's not even that there's anything seriously wrong with it now. I think they jumped the shark when opening up that Number 1 place in Pa Daed on the river, with staff then being spread between both locations. Plus not hiring enough new staff for the old place, or perhaps their HR / staff management approach contributed as well. (They were relatively strict on staff with rules for everything.)

Yes.. it's an interesting case study on how quickly a good thing can be messed up. It's not even that there's anything seriously wrong with it now. I think they jumped the shark when opening up that Number 1 place in Pa Daed on the river, with staff then being spread between both locations. Plus not hiring enough new staff for the old place, or perhaps their HR / staff management approach contributed as well. (They were relatively strict on staff with rules for everything.)

A few of us were regulars at Pa Daed. It was handy if you lived around BWT, Hang Dong and took the river road.However it was well off the tourist route and ultimately that was probaly its downfall.

DOwner did everything right .....sports bar ,pool tables,live music but just the wrong location.Now a Korean Restaurant which for us has no appeal

A few of us were regulars at Pa Daed. It was handy if you lived around BWT, Hang Dong and took the river road.However it was well off the tourist route and ultimately that was probaly its downfall.

DOwner did everything right .....sports bar ,pool tables,live music but just the wrong location.Now a Korean Restaurant which for us has no appeal

went to his new place when it first opened,very nice but well off the beaten track,could never understand why they did it,quite liked the old number 1 bar,use to be buzzing most nights.

especially,insisting you parked your car the right way,They went ape shit if u did not.

re

few years ago no 1 bar was the most popular bar in chiang mai. Most nights it was full to the rafters

not any more !.. pic taken 17 mar 16

but the same can be said of loi kroh road

and most of the bars in it now :(

dead as a do do at the mo !

dave2

post-42592-0-81099100-1459521987_thumb.j

post-42592-0-59398300-1459522027_thumb.j

post-42592-0-38061600-1459522044_thumb.j

post-42592-0-98817200-1459522103_thumb.j

^The 17 th of March just gone was St.Patricks night .I called in to No 1 Bar ,to see if anything was going on .There was only one other customer there at 7.30 pm aprox .Good enough the owners wife sister was dressed in Green .Most of the regular girls there over the years had left she said .Their Guinness draught tap had also gone .I moved on to the UN irish bar which was jam packed and had live music upstairs ,and a buffet dinner out in the yard .

If i had known about the B200 Guinness at O Malleys ,i would have gone in there for at least one or two .The UN were charging their usual price of B240 but had live Irish music .

Yes ,and thats another reason i would not call Number one Bar a hooker bar .

As I have been made to understand if one pulls a "girl" out of Number 1 Bar during her working hours one must pay a so-called bar fine, to the establisment. I have confirmed this with a girl who has a history of working there whi I am FB friends with.

I think the term "hooker bar" is crass but if that is the definition it is what it is.

Edited by arunsakda

Guy's have been hitting on waitresses at Bennigans' for decades, does not imply prostitution.

Zoe is a known backpacker hangout frequented by the commercial types but there are also regular girls there and students who are not involved in such activities.

Years ago before Zoe I just called it the Reggae Bar area. I had a girlfriend from CMU who I met at Riverside who would not go there with me, or be seen in the Moonmuang area.

The guesthouse I used to stay in is nearby and Heaven Beach, etc, was a good place for a late night Chang.

She said that was a "bar", a bad place where Farang went to meet prostitutes. The Riverside, etc was a "Pub" (even though we all know sometimes Farang meet prostitutes there.)

Bubbles was OK even though it was overrun with whores. When we stayed in BKK The Westin Grand Sukhumvit was completely out of the question though Royal Orchid

Sheraton was OK.

Stuff like these perceptions made the relationship impossible.

post-84769-0-55143200-1459837205_thumb.j

Edited by arunsakda

Can it be a hooker bar also if they don't offer staff the option to go 'off', for a price? For example, Zoe? Or just about any other bar in Chiang Mai where there's no off-fee but you just need to get acquanted via LINE and Facebook?

It's all about pimping Winnie, if the bar profits from prostitution (bar fine), then it's pimping, and thereby a 'hooker bar'.

What the girls do outside their working hours, is nobody's business but their own.

Ok, that's well noted: Spicy is not a hooker bar/club. wink.png

(Not just being pedantic, but you were laying it on Anto above for bringing the Mrs and daughter to a 'hooker bar'. Let me just state for the record that I'd much sooner take wife and kids to Number 1 than I'll be taking them to the non-hooker-bar Spicy! Or Zoe, even. )

Years ago before Zoe I just called it the Reggae Bar area. I had a girlfriend from CMU who I met at Riverside who would not go there with me, or be seen in the Moonmuang area.
The guesthouse I used to stay in is nearby and Heaven Beach, etc, was a good place for a late night Chang.

She said that was a "bar", a bad place where Farang went to meet prostitutes. The Riverside, etc was a "Pub" (even though we all know sometimes Farang meet prostitutes there.)

I'm familiar with that mindset and it's a *serious* drag. It's past tense in the above so I take it that you've moved on, and then hopefully to someone who gives less of a *#&$# about what people she doesn't even know might think or not think. And some women just need a little time to mature and realize that it's really abundantly clear to just about everyone that she's not a hooker, just from appearances, or otherwise 10 seconds after she starts talking. (Clear to everyone except newbie tourists and drunk tuk-tuk drivers, and those don't matter.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Chez Marco

Thank you for bringing the thread back on track. And now that I think about it -- La Terrasse. Haven't dined there since they moved, but the TripAdvisor reviews are ecstatic. They're rated No. 5 in Chiang Mai.

Thank you for bringing the thread back on track. And now that I think about it -- La Terrasse.

Back on track.. the track was Thai food. And then we immediately departed it again with some French place! tongue.png

There are lots of non-Thai options around there, but a nice Thai restaurant is strangely hard to find. In the hotels maybe.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The trouble is when someone suggests "nice Thai" the response is "no, that's not AUTHENTIC Thai food" Thus, Riverside and River Market get tossed to the curb yet both are very pretty settings (at least the newer part of Riverside is, the part away from the river) and the food is good. I guess in these parts, AUTHENTIC Thai food has to be eaten off a plastic plate while sitting on a stool in the footpath, breathing car fumes.

Yes, we wanted some Thai food but I like the look of Chez Marco and it's definitely on the list. Thank you

Marco's is great nosebag. You should note however that he's closed from 13-17 April.

I like the food at Marco's but the artwork not so much