Need to get a boat/trailer from Pattaya to Koh Phangan

boatworxjomtien

Hello Forum,

I am in need of getting a boat [on a trailer] from Pattaya to Koh Phangan.

I need a transporter, I cannot do this myself.

I am open to transport by road paying a truck & driver -or- alternately shipping from Laem Chabang by sea, etc....

I know enough about the ferry service to know this can easily be done by road transport.

**??** One question I have been unsure of (??) – does anyone on this forum know if the large industrial trucks with flat-bed trailers loaded with equipment are allowed on the ferry ? I have never been on that ferry or seen it operating to know much more than a schedule I got off their website. I know little more than the ferry shuttles cars & trucks and other goods back and forth.

This is NOT a large boat & trailer, it is NOT a big heavy long boat & trailer.

This boat & trailer is a neat small boat, not wide, very compact.

I have attached a photo, its 19ft boat, the length of boat and trailer total is likely 22ft (??) I can provide whatever measurements you need.

I am in need of a reputable transport person [with dependable truck] that can safely haul the boat on trailer [hitch-pull] to the ferry outside Surat Thani, drive their truck with boat trailer onto the ferry and complete the travel needed to the final destination on Koh Phangan.

In lieu of the costs for this, if a reputable person is chosen for the transport, I am sure some sort of pre-payment can be arranged to pay fuel, ferry, food, etc… in advance to remove the burden from the transport person, and what would remain is a final payment for a successful delivery once the boat safely arrives in Koh Phangan. A final payment that would of course cover the cost of the return trip as well.

Anyone ever have the same experience or success to get something similar done ?

I could really use contact phone for a reputable person or company to get this done quickly.

Thanks to you all.

post-252953-0-79512100-1459099799_thumb.

so what stopping you from going by sea? i'd risk it on a calm day with good motors. too much for fuel? me dont currently know this stuff but looks seaworthy enough for gulf of thai on calm day at least

Shagor,

Thanks for the reply. We have considered that, but still have the problem getting the trailer there and most likely at same expense to get the boat & trailer there (??)

If I were doing it myself I would certainly consider the "by sea' method and load the trailer across the stern and get the job completed all at once.

I have already mapped and calculated distances for the trip leaving Pattaya straight across to Cha-Am [63 miles] and onwards down the GOT west coastline to Surat-Thani and then across another 45 miles, hugging the coastline for most of the trip. About 22 hours of piloting time total, that’s only an educated guestimate based upon 40 mile per average.

My problem is I am not in country, and its not me transporting the boat, so this is something I have no control of.

I discussed sailing the boat and leave the trailer for a later trip, I think either is the owners’ time or expertise is possibly lacking.

I must admit it would be an adventure [with unknown obstacles along the way] for anyone that has never done it before, I included would be hesitant, but I always let the "Indiana-Jones" mentality kick in and end up tackling things such as this.

Calm day can turn pretty nasty in no time, I wouldn't fancy being in the middle of the gulf of Thailand it all went t##s up!

Satcomm, your absolutely right, it takes careful planning to [at best] get sunny weather, but even then wind and rain squalls can quickly cause interuptions, slow-downs and problems along the way. A life-line is hard to find when leaving a port behind for so many miles of ocean.

If the trailer is roadworthy with good tires, brakes, lights and tow electrics and the boat-to-trailer fastenings are good, it would be an easy, two day tow to Donsak and then on the Raja Ferry to Phangan. Similarly, whatever is towing the trailer would need to have the proper tow harness and fittings. Otherwise, it will be the local 'Heath Robinson' towing lash-up which is fraught with risk. Option to get the boat in the water in Surat Thani for a natural transit to the island with just the empty trailer being taken across on the ferry. What time frame is the OP looking at? I tried to get quotes on the Raja ferry website but the date selector isn't loading the calendars (tried on 3 browsers!)

If you have access to a ramp in Pattaya and on Phanghan, then the easiest is to just roll the boat and trailer in the back of a 6 wheel truck. Bed is a little under 6 meters, so it will stick out a bit, but that's no problem. I regularly ship boats on trailers this way (although mine are light enough to hand carry in and out with a few people). I normally pay from Samui to Pattaya in the range of 16,000 to 18,000. More transport demand going the other way, so you may have to pay a bit more from Pattaya to Phanghan.

Having it towed is more expensive and there is a lot more risk involved. I assume that the trailer is not registered?

Edited by Gulfsailor

If the trailer is roadworthy with good tires, brakes, lights and tow electrics and the boat-to-trailer fastenings are good, it would be an easy, two day tow to Donsak and then on the Raja Ferry to Phangan. Similarly, whatever is towing the trailer would need to have the proper tow harness and fittings. Otherwise, it will be the local 'Heath Robinson' towing lash-up which is fraught with risk. Option to get the boat in the water in Surat Thani for a natural transit to the island with just the empty trailer being taken across on the ferry. What time frame is the OP looking at? I tried to get quotes on the Raja ferry website but the date selector isn't loading the calendars (tried on 3 browsers!)

NanLaew,

Thanks for your comment. I agree and if i was at home to do this is exactly what i would do the same. Thanks.

If you have access to a ramp in Pattaya and on Phanghan, then the easiest is to just roll the boat and trailer in the back of a 6 wheel truck. Bed is a little under 6 meters, so it will stick out a bit, but that's no problem. I regularly ship boats on trailers this way (although mine are light enough to hand carry in and out with a few people). I normally pay from Samui to Pattaya in the range of 16,000 to 18,000. More transport demand going the other way, so you may have to pay a bit more from Pattaya to Phanghan.

Having it towed is more expensive and there is a lot more risk involved. I assume that the trailer is not registered?

Thanks GS,

We just got smart enough to get quotes for the same as your suggesting, is 30,000.oo baht from Jomtien to Koh Phangan on a shortbed truck with its own crane to laod & unload at each end effortlessly.

I would think that it might cost between 30000 and 35000. I have a friend who did this from Jomtien to Phuket. That cost him 45000. Without any scratches.

Thanks Donsonny,

Sent this message by accident to another reply. Meant for you. Thanks for the knowledge. I sometimes get tunnel vision and cannot see carrot for the stick.

We just got smart enough to get quotes for the same as your suggesting, is 30,000.oo baht from Jomtien to Koh Phangan on a shortbed truck with its own crane to laod & unload at each end effortlessly.

I have a guy that does motorcycle delivery and pickup.. he has a trailer hitch and could tow it from there back to Pattaya.. do you want his contact details?

Kurt

Kurt,

Thanks for the reply.

The travel starting point is Jomtien to Koh Phangan [across the ferry door to door].

The owner is stalling this trip, not sure where this is leading.

I LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE THAT PROVIDED IDEAS AND ANSWERS FOR THIS INQUIRY

THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM ARE ABSOLUTELY AWESOME AT GIVING EXPERIENCES AND ANSWERS TO INQUIRIES HERE

THANKS A MILLION TO EVERYONE.