Strange incident with tourist police...visa cancelled?

I have heard of people having the wrong date stamped on their entry into Thailand (I always check it has been done correctly) but never the lack of any entry stamp at all. To be honest, I can understand the skepticism of some members at your account. Not only was there no entry stamp, but the visa was not stamped used. The only logical explanation I can think of is that you returned to Thailand without going through immigration on the Thai side. This has been known to happen, but you should remember if you did that.

You're right, this happened quiet often to inexperienced travellers crossing the border by boat from Kuala Perlis to Satun and forgot to go to the immigration. But this was more than 20 years ago, i think, this should have been changed by now (though i don't know).

A passport is never yours, it always remains the property of the issuing country and only the issuing country or acting official of that country and make changes or cancel your passport !

The immigration of any country you try to enter has the right to refuse entry even if you have a Visa or not and only an official from that countries immigration department can make changes or cancel your issued Visa.

Please remember Tourist Police are volunteers and have very little power and can definitely not make changes to or cancel your Passport or Visa ! !

A passport is never yours, it always remains the property of the issuing country and only the issuing country or acting official of that country and make changes or cancel your passport !

The immigration of any country you try to enter has the right to refuse entry even if you have a Visa or not and only an official from that countries immigration department can make changes or cancel your issued Visa.

Please remember Tourist Police are volunteers and have very little power and can definitely not make changes to or cancel your Passport or Visa ! !

Volunteers ?

http://www.touristpolice.go.th/

Always best to post fact !

• Like 2

I am pretty sure tourist police have no authority to cancel your passport and it was defiantly a scam.

So, Nev, you think the police were defiant?

The cancelled stamp was put there when you entered country; hence, the visa is used and cancelled.

It is difficult to stay up with...or get ahead of...the scams in this country...

Like it or not...(You apologists jump right in here)...as a foreigner you are targeted...

LOS...Land of Scams....

Either do like many...and decide to roll with the scams...or consider taking your hard earned money elsewhere...

I have heard of people having the wrong date stamped on their entry into Thailand (I always check it has been done correctly) but never the lack of any entry stamp at all. To be honest, I can understand the skepticism of some members at your account. Not only was there no entry stamp, but the visa was not stamped used. The only logical explanation I can think of is that you returned to Thailand without going through immigration on the Thai side. This has been known to happen, but you should remember if you did that.

You're right, this happened quiet often to inexperienced travellers crossing the border by boat from Kuala Perlis to Satun and forgot to go to the immigration. But this was more than 20 years ago, i think, this should have been changed by now (though i don't know).

I had to wake him up.It was a great way to come into the country.The only other person there was a lad on a motorbike,took me all the way to town.

It is difficult to stay up with...or get ahead of...the scams in this country...

Like it or not...(You apologists jump right in here)...as a foreigner you are targeted...

LOS...Land of Scams....

Either do like many...and decide to roll with the scams...or consider taking your hard earned money elsewhere...

You don't have to do either,just don't fall for a scam,no need to if you use the big head a bit.

Rubbish !

The visa was "cancelled" the moment you used it to enter the country .

Pure hyperbole and/or paranoia !

It wasnt stamped at the border by immigration if thats what you mean...the officer definitely stamped it. I had check into many hotels and would have noticed it before then i it was stamped on my second entry.

The visa was "used" (cancelled) and of no further use once it was used to enter the country.

If you had a double entry visa (or even triple) you will have noted the marks made by immigration on the visa indicating the number of entries made. ( ie progressive cancellation )

It was the "permission to stay" stamp which was given on entry which allowed your stay (have a look in your passport)

They say Cambodia is a good place to visit .

The guy already said it was multiple entry. They dont make any marks on a mulitple entry Non O type visa.

Rubbish !

The visa was "cancelled" the moment you used it to enter the country .

Pure hyperbole and/or paranoia !

It wasnt stamped at the border by immigration if thats what you mean...the officer definitely stamped it. I had check into many hotels and would have noticed it before then i it was stamped on my second entry.

The visa was "used" (cancelled) and of no further use once it was used to enter the country.

If you had a double entry visa (or even triple) you will have noted the marks made by immigration on the visa indicating the number of entries made. ( ie progressive cancellation )

It was the "permission to stay" stamp which was given on entry which allowed your stay (have a look in your passport)

They say Cambodia is a good place to visit .

The guy already said it was multiple entry. They dont make any marks on a mulitple entry Non O type visa.

The "guy" actually said "double entry both used. I was 30 days into the second entry".

Please point to where he claimed to have a multiple entry Non "O" type visa .

So the only thing strange is the cancelled stamp instead of a used stamp

Please post a copy of your cancelled stamp so that I may be able to understand exactly what you mean. Then I can look through my passports to see if I ever got the same stamp.

• Like 1

So the only thing strange is the cancelled stamp instead of a used stamp

Please post a copy of your cancelled stamp so that I may be able to understand exactly what you mean. Then I can look through my passports to see if I ever got the same stamp.

I have three old passports here in my desk drawer. I quick flip though them reveals most visas have been "cancelled" with "USED" stamp + the date when the visa was used. A few visas are "cancelled" by hand using diagonal lines drawn using a ball tip pen + a hand written date.

Not one "Cancelled" stamp !

Edited by johnatong

This time there wasnt a stamp saying ho long I could stay, immigration couldnt find it when I exited either. I thought a page was torn out but they are all there...I just didnt get that entry stamp...so she had to look for entry exit stamps to piece it together. ITs a manual process Im sure stamps are forgotten from time to time

even the airline looked at my visa and thought i as in overstay because they couldnt find the stamp for my second entry

The airline cares less if you are on overstay

Actually, they might if you are flying to Laos. There are reports that the airlines have been told to refuse boarding to passengers with overstay.

Nobody should be on overstay when boarding as everyone has to go through Thai Immigration before they get on any international flight. So the overstay will be resolved prior to boarding.

This time there wasnt a stamp saying ho long I could stay, immigration couldnt find it when I exited either. I thought a page was torn out but they are all there...I just didnt get that entry stamp...so she had to look for entry exit stamps to piece it together. ITs a manual process Im sure stamps are forgotten from time to time

even the airline looked at my visa and thought i as in overstay because they couldnt find the stamp for my second entry

Actually, they might if you are flying to Laos. There are reports that the airlines have been told to refuse boarding to passengers with overstay.

Nobody should be on overstay when boarding as everyone has to go through Thai Immigration before they get on any international flight. So the overstay will be resolved prior to boarding.

Any country is free to refuse entry to those with a history of overstay in another country.

Laos is reported to be refusing entry to those who arrive by air with Thai overstay stamps in their passports, hence the reluctance of airlines to allow such people to fly.

Concerning your worry about your luggage....isn't your passport checked at the check in...if there was a problem it would be spotted before your luggage would be let through, I would imagine so anyway.

Actually if you check in your luggage and don't board the flight they remove your luggage from the plane for security reasons.

troll post, lets see some photo's to back up claim

So what you are saying is that the tourist police carry a red used stamp in their pocket.

Well not all of them, perhaps that one!

Who knows, still not sure if the scam was the guy renting the bike or the tourist police.

... and that, reportedly, because Lao Immigration is denying entry to those showing up with overstays in Thailand. Laos Airlines & Bangkok Airways.

---

It sort o' sounds like the typical confusion & nonsense that frequently seems to surround announcements and rule changes, such as these new overstay rules which were supposed to have taken effect on 20 MAR. Tourist police in one place hear & do one thing, regular police some place hear & do another, somebody in another different chain-of-command something else again; there's enforcement sometimes, sometimes not, some tourists experience one thing, others something different, etc., etc., etc., and stories like this begin to crop up. And then there's so often the suggestion of monkey business WRT these motorbike & jetski damage scams, in which police themselves are sometimes allegedly involved. In this case, just forget it. As others have said, once you've made the final entry on a visa, it's "used" and all that counts is the "Permitted to stay until" stamp. If you didn't get THAT, it kind of DOES surprise me both that it happened and that you didn't encounter more of a problem when you went to leave. But since it didn't, good for you and maybe make it a point to check after the IO from now on.

So the motorbike guy ended up getting nothing out of you?