Drive through

grumpyoldman

Yes, all the shops open, but, no tourists.

I saw it last low season and it was the same as all the other previous years. A ghost town.

Chalong, Rawai and Nai Harn have more residents, which keeps the bars and restaurants ticking over.

Don't agree with you.

No problem,

Where is quieter than Kata - Karon in the rainy season?

I'm sure Mai Kao and the north of the island are quieter, but, in the south of the island where the bulk of the tourists go?

Even Kamala is busier due to more residents.

Edited by KarenBravo

Actually, I think Kata - Karon is really good. Three of the prettiest beaches on the island next to each other.

Pity about the night-life, but, it was much the same when I lived there from 1987 - 1989 and again from 1992 - 1999.

You are fair with your comments.

No problem,

Where is quieter than Kata - Karon in the rainy season?

I'm sure Mai Kao and the north of the island are quieter, but, in the south of the island where the bulk of the tourists go?

Even Kamala is busier due to more residents.

Sure places with more people residing there are busier in low season. But Kata really is not quiet anymore in low season, far from what it used to be. 10 years ago about 1/2 of the shops and restaurants were closed in low season, these days everything stays open. The difference between low and high season has decreased considerably.

Actually, I think Kata - Karon is really good. Three of the prettiest beaches on the island next to each other.

Pity about the night-life, but, it was much the same when I lived there from 1987 - 1989 and again from 1992 - 1999.

BillR, please make up your mind. In #34 you said "...kata is a s:&tHole.."

I reckon the people living in Kata/Karon like the atmosphere as it is. Why duplicate Patong? It caters to a different tourist market.

BillR, please make up your mind. In #34 you said "...kata is a s:&tHole.."

I reckon the people living in Kata/Karon like the atmosphere as it is. Why duplicate Patong? It caters to a different tourist market.

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe Thailand already has a well established drive through fast food scene.

Those three-wheeled bikes/stalls lining the roads and 0 parking enforcement.

Drive-thru heaven, just dont expect any diary or western beef products!

I can recommend the dried/refried beef though which can be excellent!

McD's NST City has a drive through. The Sausage Egg McMuffin, hashbrowns and coffee were delicious.

IMO thats about the only good food McD's does is breakfast. The rest of their food gives me a bad belly.

When I used to have to do work in Ao Nang,their coffee at 45thb was 100% better than the Starbuck's 110thb brown sche*t-water.

Just back from a return drive from Chachoengsao, just east of Bangkok for those of you that don't know.

I was surprised at how many fast food drive-ins there are, all located in gas stations as far as I could see, no standalone units. Samut Songkhram has a McD on one side of the highway and a BK on the opposite side. I hadn't noticed this before. Looks like a growing trend.

As for Kata and Karon, which seems to have hijacked this thread, the south end of Kata seems to be quite vibrant in low season, Karon Circle does OK now, but Karon Plaza and Taina Road areas are very quiet as the Scandinavians, who still tend to frequent these parts, return to Europe for the summer.

• 7 months later...

There is a new BK at the PTT service station before the traffic lights at Thalang going north and also a new KFC  at Phang gna town PTT on the way to Krabi

They are not drive thru but there is plenty of parking, i have seen FFO at other PPT stations around THailand as well , That seems to be the trend here now not drive thru service