How many posts.........

bermondburi

I have found that I am treated fairly when I am not near the big tourist zones, such as in Bangkok or Phuket or Chiang Mai. In Chiang Rai town, as soon as I got near that strip of sleazy bars across from the might market, I might as well have been in Patong. Past there, the people were normal. We have all experienced this and that's why most of us after awhile don't bother with the entertainment districts. The one place I received consistently decent and fair treatment is in Ubon Ratchatani province. Wonderful place. Poor but wealthy in kindness and smiles. This is why I go to Issan when I am developing a dislike of Thailand. It's the one place where you can learn to love Thailand again.

Here in Hua Hin, there are night markets and a Market Village (a low end version of Central). The prices are nothing special. I go into the grubby discount Hua Hin Shopping Plaza near the centre of town and wham bam, I get low prices on many of the same products. It's where the smart farangs and poor Thais shop. Hua Hin is the playground for Bangkok's middle class and wealthy. There is no need for double pricing as everything is already expensive tongue.png

Edited by geriatrickid

Get out of the city.

I buy my honey from the local farmers.

Cheap.

No problems.

attachicon.gifhmong-market-honey-combs.jpg

Again and again....you are missing the point !

The point for him is that double pricing is the foreigners fault because they don't act Thai enough - that if one "respects the local culture," that people will reward that with equitable treatment. It's a delusion I used to have as well.

In fact, nobody cares if you wai really well or know all the right forms of address for different social station or volunteer at the temple to sweep up leaves. There's no scorecard to fill up, and once you fill it, you're just like a Thai.

In the Kingdom, you'll always be judged on your race.

My point is that if you choose to live in the westernized parts of Thailand, like Bangkok, Pattaya and the like, you are easy prey for people who make a living taking advantage of foreigners who do not understand the language, culture and value of things.

Avoid these areas and you will find yourself being treated like everyone else.

In some cases, in the north, foreigners are treated better than your average Thai.

Yes., I and others I know are actually given discounts in small markets that Thai people don't get.

For instance, I noticed that at my local store, I was being charged 3 baht less for a quart of beer than Thai people were and I asked why.

I was told " Thai guy comes and buy one beer every couple of weeks. You come here and buy two beer every day. I want you to come here every day and not go to other store."

Three baht is not a lot, but being treated as a prefered customer, keeps me coming back.

I don't think it is I missing the point benalibina

in the north, foreigners are treated better than your average Thai.

Seems you insist on being stubborn, because the picture was taken in Chiangmai, and last time I checked that is about as North as it can get.

Get out of the city.

I buy my honey from the local farmers.

Cheap.

No problems.

attachicon.gifhmong-market-honey-combs.jpg

Again and again....you are missing the point !

The point for him is that double pricing is the foreigners fault because they don't act Thai enough - that if one "respects the local culture," that people will reward that with equitable treatment. It's a delusion I used to have as well.

In fact, nobody cares if you wai really well or know all the right forms of address for different social station or volunteer at the temple to sweep up leaves. There's no scorecard to fill up, and once you fill it, you're just like a Thai.

In the Kingdom, you'll always be judged on your race.

My point is that if you choose to live in the westernized parts of Thailand, like Bangkok, Pattaya and the like, you are easy prey for people who make a living taking advantage of foreigners who do not understand the language, culture and value of things.

Avoid these areas and you will find yourself being treated like everyone else.

In some cases, in the north, foreigners are treated better than your average Thai.

Yes., I and others I know are actually given discounts in small markets that Thai people don't get.

For instance, I noticed that at my local store, I was being charged 3 baht less for a quart of beer than Thai people were and I asked why.

I was told " Thai guy comes and buy one beer every couple of weeks. You come here and buy two beer every day. I want you to come here every day and not go to other store."

Three baht is not a lot, but being treated as a prefered customer, keeps me coming back.

I don't think it is I missing the point benalibina

Hmmm it seems according to you that businessowners with a good businessaccumen are non discrimatory people and thus vice versa as well ofcourse.

The fact that people even liked your post is quite telling.....about them.

Two tier pricing is government promoted. Bad business !