Pet cremation

1happykamper

My Thai girlfriend's dog died tonight. She is upset to say the least.. Just six years old Pomeranian. Anyway... She wants the dog cremated tomorrow. A thread on TV eludes to a pet crematorium near the big Tesco on the Superhighway. Can anyone confirm this place still exists and if so more exact directions please. Cheers.

That was probably and old post of mine. It's not a pet crematorium. They don't have such a thing that I am aware of in Thailand. It's where they cremate humans. Actually, you could go to any of them. A dog the size of a Pomeranian will cost you about 700 Baht would be my guess. Pick up the remains the next day. To get to the one mentioned, coming from Super Highway, pass Tesco, turn left on the road where the bars are and Khamthieng Post on your right. Go down a little ways and turn left on the road where the light is past JJ Market - just before Hualamphong Bar. Go to where the street ends (it ends at the crematorium). Can't miss the large white wall and smoke stack. We had two of our dogs cremated there over the years. The last time we were lucky and there were two forest monks staying there for the night. We gave them about 200 each and they did a nice ceremony and prayed for our dog. Was quite nice.

Sorry for your loss.

Monks won't cremate dogs and it cannot be done in a temple.

Find a guy with a big piece of land, build a nice cremation place out of wood, branches, etc,

Put your dog in something nice of just place him on it and light the fire, some kerosene might help.

A few flowers and favourite things spread around and it's nice cos you do it yourself.

Ghandi liked this way.

Used a crematorium at a Wat for 2 of our dogs, straight down from Imperial Mae Ping parallel to night bazaar,cross one road and it's down on the left a few hundred yards. THB 1000 for large dogs,Collected remains the following day.

They did not use the actual crematorium but large wood fires opposite the main area.

Monks won't cremate dogs and it cannot be done in a temple.

Find a guy with a big piece of land, build a nice cremation place out of wood, branches, etc,

Put your dog in something nice of just place him on it and light the fire, some kerosene might help.

A few flowers and favourite things spread around and it's nice cos you do it yourself.

Ghandi liked this way.

There is always a guy who works at these places I mentioned, which I believe are called 'soosan' or something like that, who is responsible for purchasing the gasoline, and other materials needed, chops the wood, etc. and cremates the bodies of both humans and animals. Humans are cremated at these places when the person has no family, or there is no ceremony, or if the person is destitute. There is not a temple on the ground, only the cremation facilities. And there are no monks at these places unless some from out of town show up needing a place to sleep for the night, shelter from rain, etc. That is how it was explained to me.

The guy charged us I think 700 for our Schnauzer and 1500 for our Golden Retriever.

Edited by elektrified

I had my golden retriever cremated about six months ago- he was old and suffering from cancer, so I had to have him put down at the vet. My wife found a company that came and picked him up, took care of the cremation, and saved some of his ashes for me that I keep in a memorial container. They charged by the size of the dog- I believe I paid 2500-3000bt, and that included their taking care of all the details and traveling across town to get him, which was great as I was really distraught and in no mood or condition to do it.

My wife is away, but when I speak to her later I'll ask if she remembers the name of the company as they have a website- I can't recall it.

I had my golden retriever cremated about six months ago- he was old and suffering from cancer, so I had to have him put down at the vet. My wife found a company that came and picked him up, took care of the cremation, and saved some of his ashes for me that I keep in a memorial container. They charged by the size of the dog- I believe I paid 2500-3000bt, and that included their taking care of all the details and traveling across town to get him, which was great as I was really distraught and in no mood or condition to do it.

My wife is away, but when I speak to her later I'll ask if she remembers the name of the company as they have a website- I can't recall it.

They advertise that place on a poster at CMU Small Animal Hospital. Same service you can do yourself for 700-1500 THB.

They advertise that place on a poster at CMU Small Animal Hospital. Same service you can do yourself for 700-1500 THB.

I wasn't interested in doing it myself, and the extra cost was money well spent as far as I'm concerned. There are always cheaper options, but they're not always better depending on the situation,

• 10 months later...
On 3/28/2016 at 10:11 PM, elektrified said:

That was probably and old post of mine. It's not a pet crematorium. They don't have such a thing that I am aware of in Thailand. It's where they cremate humans. Actually, you could go to any of them. A dog the size of a Pomeranian will cost you about 700 Baht would be my guess. Pick up the remains the next day. To get to the one mentioned, coming from Super Highway, pass Tesco, turn left on the road where the bars are and Khamthieng Post on your right. Go down a little ways and turn left on the road where the light is past JJ Market - just before Hualamphong Bar. Go to where the street ends (it ends at the crematorium). Can't miss the large white wall and smoke stack. We had two of our dogs cremated there over the years. The last time we were lucky and there were two forest monks staying there for the night. We gave them about 200 each and they did a nice ceremony and prayed for our dog. Was quite nice.

Sorry for your loss.

Need to go today. Do you mean go down the road where the JJ bars are?  there is a left turn towards Kamptiene Market go past that and turn left?

See post 4, there's always someone and you can do it exactly as you like,

Come to think of that's the way I'd like to go with my favourite teddy bear

People will just think its the start of the burning season and your dog will

have a nice send off.

9 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Need to go today. Do you mean go down the road where the JJ bars are?  there is a left turn towards Kamptiene Market go past that and turn left?

I tried finding it myself today.  Roamed around back & forth on those bad roads south & east of the JJ flower mkt .  I thought that was the area described, but I must have gotten something wrong because I could not find it.

On 3/28/2016 at 10:11 PM, elektrified said:

49 minutes ago, OneZero said:

I tried finding it myself today.  Roamed around back & forth on those bad roads south & east of the JJ flower mkt .  I thought that was the area described, but I must have gotten something wrong because I could not find it.

ended up burying him 1m down

sa tu

Edited by LannaGuy

2 minutes ago, uptheos said:

You did well and you can always visit the spot if you want to.

yea it's in my back garden   :)   anyway I did my best and he wasn't even my cat lol  

happy to do it but devastated by the vets stance based on her religion when compassion is the bedrock of Buddhism - never mind the vet will enjoy her  bacon/chicken whatever and the word 'hypocrisy' will never enter the mind

Just now, LannaGuy said:

yea it's in my back garden   :)   anyway I did my best and he wasn't even my cat lol  

happy to do it but devastated by the vets stance based on her religion when compassion is the bedrock of Buddhism - never mind the vet will enjoy her  bacon/chicken whatever and the word 'hypocrisy' will never enter the mind

I'm afraid Buddhist's have certain principles they stick by, despite what a lot of TV members say.

My vet won't put an animal down but she will discuss the easiest and non painful way you can do it yourself, which I'm not going to discuss on here.

14 hours ago, uptheos said:

I'm afraid Buddhist's have certain principles they stick by, despite what a lot of TV members say.

My vet won't put an animal down but she will discuss the easiest and non painful way you can do it yourself, which I'm not going to discuss on here.

14 hours ago, uptheos said:

I'm Buddhist does your vet enjoy eating dead animals?  don't you think that hypocritical?  trust me not ALL Buddhists adhere to the Buddhism 'Thai Style'  so using that is not an excuse for CRUELTY

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

I'm Buddhist does your vet enjoy eating dead animals?  don't you think that hypocritical?  trust me not ALL Buddhists adhere to the Buddhism 'Thai Style'  so using that is not an excuse for CRUELTY

I should have said certain Buddhists have principles they adhere to, but said it the wrong way around. Your answer to my original quote, is of course correct,

Just now, uptheos said:

I should have said certain Buddhists have principles they adhere to, but said it the wrong way around. Your answer to my original quote, is of course correct,

fair enough... sorry if I came across as rather intolerant but I'm a firm believer in 'compassion first' with animals and humans as well... and yes I'm a strict vegetarian for 40 years.  

anyway it is what it is but i do believe it's a mis-interpretation of buddhist teachings but let's not go there    lol