Pol Lt-Gen Sanit wonders why drunk driving charge was dropped against Red Bull heir

webfact

''Pol Lt-Gen Sanit admitted that he could not tell whether the dropping of the drunk driving charge by the police concerned amounted to aiding the suspect or not because he didn’t want to implicate any governmental agency concerned.''

Yep, who needs to be sued?

As the General in charge of the Police Department, I am structuring into police procedures, Instant dismissal and a 100,000 baht fine for any police, part of any serious accident investigation who do not obtain blood tests of the drivers, whether the drivers are conscious or not.

This regualtion is active instantly.

Seems like a quick response to a ridiculous situation where the police are allowing road crime to go unpunished. No wonder the road toll here is one of the worst in the world.

Your plan is not bad, but it is against Thai law from what I have read. Drivers are allowed to refuse a blood test, same as USA. By doing this you committing a different crime (in USA) and basically admitting guilt without the evidence. Thai law seems to be similar.

Yes but surely its one thing to be driving along minding your own business and comitting no offense and a policeman pulls you over and demands a blood or alcohol test and is invading your private rights. But testing someone for alcohol or drugs after an accident, in particular one that could have been fatal, is a different scenario.

In the one case, there may have been a violation of a regulation, in the other there is an actual crime. It would seem a clear delineation of responsiblity. One I think that if it is not a chapter of the law, it should be.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me play devil's advocate here.What if one of us were in a similar situation,not killing a copper,but doing something that would get you 10 years in jail.Would you go down the bribery route.It depends on how deep your pockets are,of course.2 or 3 years i would do,put it down to experience but 10 years would be the rest of the useful part of my life and i would go down the tea money route and compensate anybody i had harmed on the way.I am dead against corruption but when push comes to shove i would go the tea money way.Call me a hypercrite but survival comes 1st.

Let me play devil's advocate here.What if one of us were in a similar situation,not killing a copper,but doing something that would get you 10 years in jail.Would you go down the bribery route.It depends on how deep your pockets are,of course.2 or 3 years i would do,put it down to experience but 10 years would be the rest of the useful part of my life and i would go down the tea money route and compensate anybody i had harmed on the way.I am dead against corruption but when push comes to shove i would go the tea money way.Call me a hypercrite but survival comes 1st.

You are probably right, most people doing something that would get them 10 years jail would try to bribe their way out... But you would be a criminal for doing whatever you did, and deserve to get the 10 years jail.... Pay for your crime in time , not money...

When a Police General start o "wonder" why thing that should have been done long time ago, hasn't

been done, YOU KNOW that something is fundamentally wrong with the people we trust to keep the

peace and protect the public.....

But we DO all know why! But they could not give a sh..t, they can do what they want.

In other countries a cop always take care of their own!

Having another cops back or seeing justice served for a fellow police officers untimely death is of paramount importance.....seems it's not the same in every country though eh!

A crying shame!

No justice for the families in ThaiIand when one of your families die. But they except the bribe money to no press charges against the killer of there loved ones. The Thai people disrespect the dead when they except this please do not charge me money. It is not true love but true greed by these Thai families. But still a crime was committed and the Thai so called judges let them walk. Two wrongs does not make this right.

Free red bulls all-year round boys,

plus , plus, and if you drop that charge another ++

Insidious practise that does little to install any faith in the scales of

JUSTICE

The only scales they know are on fish!

I would have thought especially as it was a cop killed, that this guy would never have had the chance to get out if the country.

How much compensation did the dead cops family receive from 'The Boss' or rather his Dad ? It must have been a huge amount for them to apparently say nothing !! as we never hear anything from them....

Consider Pol Lt -Gen Sanit's words as a heads-up. Also remember that the Judges of any legal system are bound to consider the case presented to them. And despite the disparaging speculation of many comments they do so effectively within the boundaries of law and legal consideration.

The issue that irks or confuses so many non Thai is the lack of automatic due process . And in that perception they are correct.

But to solely blame the RTP is often unjustified. The complexity of the attitude of Thai to legal/justice/culpability/compensation etc issues are a social/cultural mixture which has for too long provided the obvious potential for manipulation and "corruption" of that which Westerners in particular would consider what should be due process regardless. There can be no doubt that that perception is valid as part of faith in a socially balanced justice system. Such does not realistically exist anywhere . In Thailand as part of the social structure negotiation of issues and the circumnavigation of due process is the most common choice. And the willingness of the general community too often to resort to that even in the event of a tragedy derides and negates the intent of due process and... Thai Law.

Who is know how many here in TVF who rubbish the RTP, the legal system, the Thai people and Thailand have not also slipped x? Bht to somebody including the RTP to avoid legal "due process" ? Even for a very minor incident doing so simply and blatantly disqualifies the right to make disparaging comment.

What should be considered is that quietly it would appear that there are moves towards the application of Thai Law as a due process.

The application of that of that has been the laughable objections of non Thai to issues about overstays and the formal application of Thai regulations re' visas and extentions of stay.

And yet not so many days ago so many were outraged that a woman insisted on the due process of law to deal with a recidivist who had a history of stealing from her.

Get your hat straight or f... off! wink.png

I cannot understand what the Policeman is confused about, everyone in and around Thailand knows EXACTLY why it was dropped and only the ridiculous defamation laws prevent me explaining it explicitly.

Wake up and smell the corruption, it cant be too far from where you work???

Can't any of you give the benefit of the doubt and see that possibly things are changing for the better? Yes, the latest incident brought this case back to the fore, and social media has been helping, but in this day and age the police will not be able to continue covering up for the guilty, at least in cases that are brought to the attention of the public.

Take off your rose tinted glasses, The idea of anything actually being changed by the Junta, hand picked by the hi so to make sure nothing actually changes is laughable...

Can't any of you give the benefit of the doubt and see that possibly things are changing for the better? Yes, the latest incident brought this case back to the fore, and social media has been helping, but in this day and age the police will not be able to continue covering up for the guilty, at least in cases that are brought to the attention of the public.

Take off your rose tinted glasses, The idea of anything actually being changed by the Junta, hand picked by the hi so to make sure nothing actually changes is laughable...

After 33 years here, the rose tinted specs long went out of the window.

Yes, many things remain the same or are even worse under the junta, but to say nothing has changed for the better shows you do not know anything.