Do i need to show cash if i got a visa?

Hi i am travelling to Laos in a few days to get my 2nd Single Entry TR Visa. I extended my visa at the Bangkok Immigration for 30 days.

I would like to know if i got the single entry visa will the Boarder request to see my Proof of Funds ?

Thanks

• Like 1

If you obtain a visa you will be allowed to enter los. Given that you have just had a setv and extended it, personally I would have money on me. They just may be interested in how your supporting yourself.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
36 minutes ago, AsianExport said:

The real question is to know if anybody has ever been ask to show cash at a border or airport or if it's just a stupid urban legend...

Yes, I spoke to one person who was asked to show it at Sadao.  I have not heard of it (yet) at Lao crossings.  I am always prepared to show cash plus proof that my income comes from overseas, every time, because immigration can see I spend a lot of time here; I want them to know, beyond any doubt, I have no reason to work here.

If the OP only has one extended Visa-Exempt plus one Tourist Visa, this is highly unlikely at Lao crossings.  That said, if possible, it would not hurt to go to a bank and get some travelers' checks so that their total exceeds the 20K requirement.  Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AsianExport said:

The real question is to know if anybody has ever been ask to show cash at a border or airport or if it's just a stupid urban legend...

I have seen Philippine nationals asked to show the money on entry at Poi Pet. It must be reasonably common for them (or at least was at that time a few years ago) because I saw a group of them slipping the cash around between them to meet the requirement. I have personally never seen it at an airport.

9 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Can we show American funds if asked? Meaning if I am carrying $1000 US

, all is ok?

You can use any exchangeable currency to meet the 20k baht requirement.

See my earlier post.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

People have been asked to show the equivalent of 20k baht on entry.