Kodi buffering issues

ldiablo

I have kodi installed on my notebook with my notebook attached to my television for better viewing. I also have my internet package with fiber optics as well as 20gb upload and 10gb download but I always still seem to have buffering issues. I have checked the internet speed as well as had the company here checking the speeds and I am getting the 20gb and 10gb that I am paying for.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the buffering issues?

I have cleared the cache numerous times.

Would using a VPN help?

Any help would be appreciated as this is my second notebook because I destroyed the first one after getting so pissed off with the buffering and my wife doesn't want me to destroy this one which I fear I eventually may.

The internet company says for 2000b a month they can do a direct link to the server or something like that. I said, fyou.

Thanks

Edited by ldiablo

I use Kodi Jarvis with the "Beast" and apart from a little buffering on starting movies or videos it works OK and I am on 3bb 10 meg

Sometimes in the mornings the buffering does not even start, maybe due to the time differences , caption showing "no streams available"

I have no problems at all later in the day or evening though

I installed Kodi Jarvis and the Beast on my laptop, desktop and have a Minix TV box all working OK

It occurs to me that it may be overloading of the "source" of the streams that is causing our buffering problem and not the speed of the internet

Edited by n210mp

I use Kodi Jarvis with the "Beast" and apart from a little buffering on starting movies or videos it works OK and I am on 3bb 10 meg

Sometimes in the mornings the buffering does not even start, maybe due to the time differences , caption showing "no streams available"

I installed Kodi Jarvis and the Beast on my laptop, desktop and have a Minix TV box all working OK

What is the "beast"?

What is the "beast"?

https://seo-michael.co.uk/the-beast-build-for-kodi/

What is the "beast"?

https://seo-michael.co.uk/the-beast-build-for-kodi/

I'll try that.

The only one I have been using is 1 channel.

I am assuming the addon you are using is 1 Channel. You must understand that every addon uses different sources to access media. These sources are located all over the world and as such they all have different access speeds. This and the time of day/night you are accessing these sources are the issues. If you are accessing sources (where the media is physically located) at busy times (evening time in Thailand is extremely busy) then you could have more buffering issues. A trick is to allow the media to load up for a few minutes or even slightly more before you begin watching. Just press pause and you can see how the media loads by the time bar changing to grey. If you let it load up far enough then the buffering issue will never take place and you can watch your stream as normal. Also, a HD media copy take more time to load up due to it being a larger file size. A VPN could even hurt you more.

What is the "beast"?

Sorry for the delay in answering.

Being a "tyro" in these things I actually dont know but what I do know is that from being unable to get my Minix neo 8h android box loaded with software streaming stuff I went onto Youtube and asked the question about Kodi, it came up with the latest version Kodi Jarvis 16

Apparently Kodi is the vehicle that allows you to download certain software that will enable you to stream all the media that you want to view.

I looked recently on Youtube for how to install Kodi Jarvis 16 on my Android box and accomplished it very easily

I then watched the Youtube video talking about installing "the beast" on Kodi jarvis which simply is a "build" that enables you to get (for me) the best out of your android box without having a lot of Techie knowledge.

I now have Kodi and the Beast working on my laptop, my desktop and my android box

The method I sue to follow the instructions from the Youtube videos when for instance setting my Minix android box up is to start the youtube video on my Ipad and then follow the instructions, pausing the ipad to allow me to do whatever the instruction tells me to do

Like I said after a bit of messing around you soon get to know what to do

Hope this helps

Edited by n210mp

Been using kodi for a long time, best to find what you like to watch and download/add a few different "source/builds"

if I get buffering issues then just change to a different "source/build" and carry on watching the same program but for a different place.

I also have my internet package with fiber optics as well as 20gb upload and 10gb download but I always still seem to have buffering issues. I have checked the internet speed as well as had the company here checking the speeds and I am getting the 20gb and 10gb that I am paying for.

That of course is a fabulous speed, which I think not many people on this planet enjoy.But in reality I think it explains how much you understand about the issue actually.

A 6 Mb download should be plenty to watch almost every stream, especially if it are recorded streams like a movie. That is 6 Mb to US and UK servers of course.

It could be useful if you told us who your isp is, because if it is TOT your connection will most probably be throttled so no way to get rid other than change provider in that case.

Clearing the cache is just a myth and help nada, zilch, nothing at all.

Have a read here which explains cache.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Caches_explained

1 Video cache - the source of most "out of cache" messages

The video cache is the most common cache that people talk about when it comes to Kodi. The video cache works by saving a few seconds of video before it is needed, so that if there are small slowdowns or bumps in loading the video, it will not constantly pause while waiting to get enough data to resume playing back. The video cache is normally stored in RAM and erased on the fly, as needed. It requires no user intervention to "empty" this cache.

A warning about the cache filling up does not actually mean that more cache space is needed or that the existing cache needs to be emptied. The warning box is not currently well worded and has lead to a lot of confusion with users. What it means is that the video is loading too slowly for the cache to smooth out all of the bumps, and that the bumps will keep happening due to that low video speed.

Kodi only uses a tiny amount of RAM for the video cache, about 60 MB. This is because Kodi is not currently coded to see if the hardware you are using has more or less RAM, so to be safe only a small amount is assumed to be available. Users are able to increase this amount, and modify how "quickly" it fills up, by following the guide at HOW-TO:Modify the video cache. However, changes to these settings are only helpful for a few situations, such as a network that fluctuates in speed, occasional wifi interference, or a connection that is borderline too slow for video to playback.

Note: No amount of video cache tweaking will make a slow server connection any faster, which is a common issue for people who stream over the internet. Even if you have a fast connection on your device, it doesn't matter if the connection on the other end is slow. The server itself might not always be slow, but might be more busy at different times of the day.

Buffering in most cases is caused by a slow internet connection. You may try to create an advanced settings xml as explained here. HOW-TO:Modify the video cache.

Don't go too high with the settings as it may make your Kodi crash, a setting of not higher than 250Mb is advised but actually 150Mb should suffice in most cases. Don't use Zero cache as it may damage your box over time.

Disabling Video acceleration in the video settings, setting your audio settings to " pass through" and disabling " stereo upmix" may also help as it eases the workload of your system, but most probably the cause is your ISP.

Edited by TheCruncher

I also have my internet package with fiber optics as well as 20gb upload and 10gb download but I always still seem to have buffering issues. I have checked the internet speed as well as had the company here checking the speeds and I am getting the 20gb and 10gb that I am paying for.

That of course is a fabulous speed, which I think not many people on this planet enjoy.But in reality I think it explains how much you understand about the issue actually.

A 6 Mb download should be plenty to watch almost every stream, especially if it are recorded streams like a movie. That is 6 Mb to US and UK servers of course.

It could be useful if you told us who your isp is, because if it is TOT your connection will most probably be throttled so no way to get rid other than change provider in that case.

Main page: HOW-TO:Modify the video cache

The video cache is the most common cache that people talk about when it comes to Kodi. The video cache works by saving a few seconds of video before it is needed, so that if there are small slowdowns or bumps in loading the video, it will not constantly pause while waiting to get enough data to resume playing back. The video cache is normally stored in RAM and erased on the fly, as needed. It requires no user intervention to "empty" this cache.

A warning about the cache filling up does not actually mean that more cache space is needed or that the existing cache needs to be emptied. The warning box is not currently well worded and has lead to a lot of confusion with users. What it means is that the video is loading too slowly for the cache to smooth out all of the bumps, and that the bumps will keep happening due to that low video speed.

Kodi only uses a tiny amount of RAM for the video cache, about 60 MB. This is because Kodi is not currently coded to see if the hardware you are using has more or less RAM, so to be safe only a small amount is assumed to be available. Users are able to increase this amount, and modify how "quickly" it fills up, by following the guide at HOW-TO:Modify the video cache. However, changes to these settings are only helpful for a few situations, such as a network that fluctuates in speed, occasional wifi interference, or a connection that is borderline too slow for video to playback.

Note: No amount of video cache tweaking will make a slow server connection any faster, which is a common issue for people who stream over the internet. Even if you have a fast connection on your device, it doesn't matter if the connection on the other end is slow. The server itself might not always be slow, but might be more busy at different times of the day.

Buffering in most cases is caused by a slow internet connection. You may try to create an advanced settings xml as explained here. HOW-TO:Modify the video cache.

Don't use Zero cache as it may damage your box over time.

Disabling Video acceleration in the video settings, setting your audio settings to " pass through" and disabling " stereo upmix" may also help as it eases the workload of your system, but most probably the cause is your ISP.

Yes, my internet connection is with TOT.

I have run speed tests during different times of the month and do get variations in my speed so it would appear that Tot has throttled my speed.

Edited by ldiablo

Just loaded 'Simply J' which is specific to KODI Jarvis. For me this is the best platform yet. Quite impressed with a number of new feeds that give good picture without buffering. I also use a VPN which actually improves my International connections/download speeds. For the most part I get good feeds from most premium TV Channels most of the time. Only problem seems to be when premium programmes are being aired, e.g. F1 and BPL matches, and stop-go picture and buffering is often present at these times. By changing to a different feed it is some times possible to overcome these problems.

Main page: HOW-TO:Modify the video cache

Don't use Zero cache as it may damage your box over time.

Yes, my internet connection is with TOT.

I have run speed tests during different times of the month and do get variations in my speed so it would appear that Tot has throttled my speed.

Make sure you run speedtests to US and UK servers, also do a continuous ping test to a US or UK based IP address, and you may be surprised how many time outs you get.

Just loaded 'Simply J' which is specific to KODI Jarvis. For me this is the best platform yet. Quite impressed with a number of new feeds that give good picture without buffering. I also use a VPN which actually improves my International connections/download speeds. For the most part I get good feeds from most premium TV Channels most of the time. Only problem seems to be when premium programmes are being aired, e.g. F1 and BPL matches, and stop-go picture and buffering is often present at these times. By changing to a different feed it is some times possible to overcome these problems.

Simply J is just another build, where build is a collection of addons that are available in any build. No build will improve buffering or picture quality, since they use the exact same addons as everyone else uses.

A VPN will never increase international speeds, since you have to connect to a international based vpn server in the first place, but it can improve the connection is case your ISP is throttling your connection.