Are The Chinese rolling into town?

Yes, OP they are!

Well apart from the obvious connections with Thai and Chinese going back centuries, there has been a definite increase in Chinese owned cars in Thailand in the past 6 months.

I see Chinese plates daily now in Hua Hin, which is some distance from any border check point.

Sure they drive here...have been a few topics on here (with vids.) about their poor driving standards. Hasn't the government brought in new laws recently about the "camper vans "...because so many Chinese tourists are holidaying in them here.

They are rolling through towns world wide. Just watch the financial news.

I watch all financial news, one point made was that by the end of the

year over 6 million (more) workers will be unemployed in China,

i wonder if that will affect trade and tourism, probably not.

My buddy said he had to buy a Chinese bike to get into China. No such restriction on them going to Thailand I guess. They don't play fair. News? 5555

Your buddy is full-of-bullocks. I entered China, via the Dong Dang border gate crossing, riding a Suzuki 125cc scooter (Thai license plate), with no such problems, especially since I had all my documents in order.

Now, regarding the Chinese playing fair, is concerned! cheesy.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

Isn't it obvious? The Chinese have benn "rolling into town", for more than 300 years! whistling.gif

They came by the slow boat down the river, but not ride in with style.

You're mixing apples with oranges. In those days, that slow boat down the river was the classy style of travel.coffee1.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Sure they drive here...have been a few topics on here (with vids.) about their poor driving standards. Hasn't the government brought in new laws recently about the "camper vans "...because so many Chinese tourists are holidaying in them here.

The Chinese won't be rolling into town anymore, especially not with campervans because as part of new ministerial regulations implemented by the Land Transport Department in co-operation with other relevant agencies, campervans/motorhomes/caravans will be banned from entering Thailand. The latest draft was approved on Mar 30, the date you wrote this comment and the government has now published the new regulation in the Royal Gazette, which will implement it within 60 days. I have read that May 23rd has been mentioned as the date of entry into force of this new law.

Chinese cars and pickup trucks meanwhile will require advance permission to enter, pay an entry fee, require a special plate, a temporary Thai driver's licence, 3rd party insurance with 1 million Baht coverage and won't be allowed to drive outside the province entered.

I'm looking forward to May 23rd. I think I'll have a few beers to celebrate the end of those blue plated menaces on Thai roads.

I saw a Chinese plated car in Pattaya the other day. There is no stopping them! It's a yellow invasion. wai2.gifcheesy.gif

Actually the government IS stopping them. Starting on May 23rd, they'll mostly be gone because of the new advance permission requirement, which will also prevent them from driving outside the border province entered. Campervans and motorhomes will be banned altogether.

Meanwhile another report from about a month ago suggests that the head of the Bangkok traffic police intends to implement a law that prevents foreign registered vehicles being driven to Bangkok, in order to reduce accidents and congestion. Any vehicles with foreign number plates found to be driving inside Bangkok will be seized, their owners fined 10,000 Baht and driving permission in Thailand will be revoked. Offending vehicles will then be placed on a tow truck and driven to the border for export. Not sure if that law will go into effect, but the one that restricts foreign vehicles coming into Thailand will.

Lao, Singaporean and Malaysian vehicles will continue to be allowed in without restrictions,as Thailand has existing pacts on vehicle usage with those countries. Cambodian and Burmese vehicles travelling near the border will also be allowed in without any new restrictions. This new law will mainly affect Chinese vehicles.

The Chinese won't be rolling into town anymore, especially not with campervans because as part of new ministerial regulations implemented by the Land Transport Department in co-operation with other relevant agencies, campervans/motorhomes/caravans will be banned from entering Thailand. The latest draft was approved on Mar 30, the date you wrote this comment and the government has now published the new regulation in the Royal Gazette, which will implement it within 60 days. I have read that May 23rd has been mentioned as the date of entry into force of this new law.

Chinese cars and pickup trucks meanwhile will require advance permission to enter, pay an entry fee, require a special plate, a temporary Thai driver's licence, 3rd party insurance with 1 million Baht coverage and won't be allowed to drive outside the province entered.

I'm looking forward to May 23rd. I think I'll have a few beers to celebrate the end of those blue plated menaces on Thai roads.

That calls for craft beer celebration. If you are in Bangkok, I will toast to this.

see 5 to 10 everyday in and around chiang mai . china is closer to chiang mai than bangkok. north of thailand will become a Chinese province sooner than you know.

Good morning!coffee1.gif

Nope it won't. The Thai government finally woke up and has now entered a new law into force, which will effectively prevent all but the most determined Chinese tourists from driving to Thailand.

However, the government is still keen on bringing in as many Chinese tourists as can fit into Thailand, just that they'll have to fly in and catch a bus or rent a car with driver once they get here.

That calls for craft beer celebration. If you are in Bangkok, I will toast to this.

LOL. I am indeed in Bangkok, send me a PM.