Anyone can comment 3BB VDSL Internet?

gessi2000

I am currently using my own Asus router on 3BB 18Mb/1.8Mbs ADSL link in my View Talay 5 Condominium in Jomtien/Pattay and I have to saw.... I hate it due to slow IPTV reliability overseas...

I am now considering to move to 3bb (obviously I have to other options in my Condo) but before I do that I wanted to know if someone has this setup (20Mb/3Mb for 900THB) and can recommend or run a speedtest.net test to a european (German) server and provide the output?

Sadly 3bb cannot deliver any router for VDSL so I will buy one for myself (TP-Link or Asus)...

Thailand wai.gif :

5206652666.png

Munich sad.png :

5206656610.png

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they have 20,30,and 50MB Vdsl in bkk

I guess it's where you live at that counts....

in my View Talay 5 Condominium in Jomtien/Pattay

Thats irrelevant, all internet services are available based upon your location and usually distance from the nearest hub

Some people are spoiled for choice with gigabit Fibre , others will be overjoyed to get dial up... Etc etc

I have 3BB. Can't remember what package. Something like 16/1. ADSL. Sufficient for streaming my IPTV. Not very good for stuff like BBC iPlayer, but as I understand it, that is nothing to do with my internet speed, more to do with bandwidth throttling on the international gateway into Thailand.

As for those speed testers, not very good. For a more accurate test, try something like www.speedof.me.

Not tried the VDSL, but now seeing that 3BB have some new "offers" so I might have a look.

I use IPTV and had 3BB VDSL and the streaming was not very good, it kept freezing or pixelating even though I had 50/20mb speed. Then I found out it's not my download or upload speed that is important on streaming it's the 'ping' test, it needs to be 5ms or less. Mine was about 20ms.

So I changed t 3BB fiber and now it's perfect with 'ping' of about 3ms.

You can find the 'ping' speed on a standard speed test as its there first part of the test they perform

One other thing I should mention to live stream HD you need about 5mb download speed, a good test for the real speed are actually getting is testmy.net. So long as that averages at 5mbs your speed is fine

Hope this helps

Edited by dazza810

I think you are right...the local Thai IPTV works fine for me and ping is around 10x better or faster than on international servers. I assume switching from ADSL to VDSL is a waste of money as my priority is IPTV from overseas servers... Sadly fibre is not available in my Condo so there is no way around right now

I have 3 BBB- however in the last week some websites I cannot enter yet the websites are reachable from outside where I live on a computer at an Internet shop. the system has been up and down for a week. It is up now- When I did the diagnostic through the website it comes back saying the internet connection is weak. I have a router from 3BBB- Is the router the problem? I have tried rebooting computer and router but does not allow me into the sites. I have tried other browsers- still cant get them. When I call 3 BBB call center they say there is no internet connection yet I do have it. The technician cant figure it out. Should I push for a new router. Any suggestions how to handle. I am not computer savy -and live in Bangsaray area.

This seems to be something different if only certain websites are not accessible. Blacklisted etc. No idea as this should not be normal.

You could try general accessibility to the website's server from Command Line doing a ping and checking of something comes back, e.g.

# ping www.google.com

This should respond, if it does your internet is OK and you should check router settings before you replace.

The 3bb routers are crab btw and I replaced mine with an Asus router...

Thanks for answer- Where would I find an Asus router and the cost- ?. When you put in a new router do you have to change settings in the computer itself or just plug it in? Sorry, not very computer savvy.

Edited by Thaidream

The results of those ping and speed tests can vary from day to day and even depending on the time of the day. It depends on the route the packets are taking. The ISP might send them one day via Los Angels to Europe and the other day using a direct link to Frankfurt. Depends on the load situation and what's cheaper at the moment. Try traceroute to find out the current route. Of course that doesn't tell us the path back, which can be different. If the DSL link to 3BB is bad (ping default GW), a better modem/ router might help. If it's a congested international route a VPN server at a good reachable location might help. VDSL will probably not improve international speed, unless the subscription uses a better international GW. Anyway, I would still prefer it over ADSL as the modulation is better and leaves more room for errors, e.g. If the phone line is poor. I recooend to use a FritzBox. It has an excellent modem and a grapic display of the used DSL spectrum. It is sold in Thailand.

Just an aside on my problem with some websites not loading- had the technician reset the ADSL router and reinstall- cleared the problem immediately. Now everything works and works faster than before. He originally insisted it was my computer but when I suggested he use another router which worked fine -he then believed me that the router was at fault and did what I asked him to do a week ago. TIT

The results of those ping and speed tests can vary from day to day and even depending on the time of the day. It depends on the route the packets are taking. The ISP might send them one day via Los Angels to Europe and the other day using a direct link to Frankfurt. Depends on the load situation and what's cheaper at the moment. Try traceroute to find out the current route. Of course that doesn't tell us the path back, which can be different. If the DSL link to 3BB is bad (ping default GW), a better modem/ router might help. If it's a congested international route a VPN server at a good reachable location might help. VDSL will probably not improve international speed, unless the subscription uses a better international GW. Anyway, I would still prefer it over ADSL as the modulation is better and leaves more room for errors, e.g. If the phone line is poor. I recooend to use a FritzBox. It has an excellent modem and a grapic display of the used DSL spectrum. It is sold in Thailand.

At home in Germany I also use FritzBoxes and my Boxes are enabled as VPN servers.

Also I do have Pro accounts for HideMyAss and VyperVPN with multiple server locations around the Global. Did you find any specific VPN locations to enhance the international speed? I assume looking for one in a Thailand datacenter would be better as going outside of Thailand would decrease the ping immediately and if lucky the Thailand VPN server could have a better backbone to international Gateways... I will try a bunch of servers now and report what I am seeing here...

From my 3bb directly to Munich:

5209487973.png

From 3bb via VPN to my German FritzBox (with 200Mbs Down and 12.5Mb/s upload which is really stable at home):

5209493667.png

HideMyAss VPN Munich1 Server:

5209499303.png

HideMyAss VPN Bangkok Server:

5209513511.png

This certainly tells me VPN is not a problem solver here :-(

beware the new 18/1.8 3BB package.

it has less international bandwidth than the old package, about 30 to 40% less download and upload than the old 15 / 1.5 plan.

from EU servers I now max out at 8 down and 0.8 up, my old plan had 11 down and 1.4 up - I can test it in realtime, as both of my plans are still active.

anyone using 3BB VDSL plan 30/5 please post test results to servers in Europe.

I am currently battling with 3BB to get my old plan back, "no can do" they say.

I feel cheated because they don't advertise that the new plan has 40% less international bandwidth.

5215675349.png

5215698992.png

images show difference old plan (15/1.5) / new plan (18/1.8) with a server in Switzerland.

Edited by manarak

it has less international bandwidth than the old package, about 30 to 40% less download and upload than the old 15 / 1.5 plan.

from EU servers I now max out at 8 down and 0.8 up, my old plan had 11 down and 1.4 up - I can test it in realtime, as both of my plans are still active.

I feel cheated because they don't advertise that the new plan has 40% less international bandwidth.

5215675349.png

5215698992.png

images show difference old plan (15/1.5) / new plan (18/1.8) with a server in Switzerland.

3bb are fking snakes, I wouldn't use them unless there was nobody else

BTW true made my connection worse by "upgrading" it to a higher speed so you are not alone even though that doesn't help your situation.... :(

5215675349.png

5215698992.png

I'm in the same situation. I'm guessing that some suit in marketing or something came up with this upgrade idea without REALLY asking IF it could be done.. I had an extremely stable 30/3 fiber connection, it was working perfectly. Absolutely no problems at all.. Then last week the upgrade to 50/10.. Still OK no major difference.. Then this week 100/10.. Stability has dropped through the floor.. It's peaking, it's loosing connection. It's shit! Currently waiting for a technician to come out and hopefully sort it out.. In the past been happy with the technical support, we shall see!

5215675349.png

5215698992.png

I'm in the same situation. I'm guessing that some suit in marketing or something came up with this upgrade idea without REALLY asking IF it could be done.. I had an extremely stable 30/3 fiber connection, it was working perfectly. Absolutely no problems at all.. Then last week the upgrade to 50/10.. Still OK no major difference.. Then this week 100/10.. Stability has dropped through the floor.. It's peaking, it's loosing connection. It's shit! Currently waiting for a technician to come out and hopefully sort it out.. In the past been happy with the technical support, we shall see!

Speed sells packages.... Whether they can deliver it or not is the question....

A solid stable 50 is more useful than an erratic 100 imo

5215675349.png

5215698992.png

Speed sells packages.... Whether they can deliver it or not is the question....

A solid stable 50 is more useful than an erratic 100 imo

absolutely.. Hence the visit from the technician.

in my case, there is no technical problem at all - both connections are stable, both get near their max quoted speed when tested inside Thailand.

It's just that the new package had it's overseas bandwidth gimped.

Edited by manarak