Koh Tao French diving instructor found dead in Surat - police mystified

snoop1130

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bamukloy, on 31 Mar 2016 - 20:34, said:
Moonsterk, on 31 Mar 2016 - 09:56, said:

RIP Jean-francois Louet who looks to have lived life to the fullest.

Jean L whisky crop.jpg

I suspect you and your type are the reason foriegners hate each other here. I cant think of any

reason why a normal sane person would feel the need to speculate and add the thinly disguised innuendo you did in that post.

I guess, other than trying to draw attention to yourself by posting a pic of him??

The guy is dead for F's sake.

Are you in perfect physical shape?

Why not post a picture of yourself so we can all splendour over your 180cm, 78kg frame?

Bravo! Glad you understood the motive for posting that picture whistling.gif

https://www.facebook.com/ThailandMythBusters/posts/191697521215253

Classic case of victim blaming.

Jean L whisky crop.jpg

I suspect you and your type are the reason foriegners hate each other here. I cant think of any

reason why a normal sane person would feel the need to speculate and add the thinly disguised innuendo you did in that post.

I guess, other than trying to draw attention to yourself by posting a pic of him??

Why not post a picture of yourself so we can all splendour over your 180cm, 78kg frame?

That's how he looked, why judge him on it? People make choices.

Did he have a fight with his G/F. Did anyone actually see him on the ferry or was it just her word. Certainly no robbery was involved as he was still wearing his gold necklace and diving watch. I think that the police need to question his G/F a little more, find out why she took 4 days to report him missing.

Do we really know she was his GF? That term is used a bit loosely over there. How long were they together? Was it a one or two day recent meeting?

I think the GF is a moot point.

bamukloy, on 31 Mar 2016 - 20:34, said:
Moonsterk, on 31 Mar 2016 - 09:56, said:

Jean L whisky crop.jpg

Bravo! Glad you understood the motive for posting that picture whistling.gif

https://www.facebook.com/ThailandMythBusters/posts/191697521215253

Classic case of victim blaming.

Thailand News Myth Busters !! Great idea. Thanks for posting the link, it really gets to the bone on a few of the myths surrounding foreigner deaths and exposes a couple of community pages that are completely irresponsible perpetuating lies.

I guess my post with the link to Bkk Post got deleted, (sorry Mods) but I had asked in it if you'd post permissible links (or PM me the links to Bkk articles) on or around March 18 that state the GF waited until March 18 to report Mr Louet missing- I can't find one reference to that claim other than a March 29th Bkk Post article- and of course the Thai Visa News Team OP ( which does not quote a source)

Wonder if Bkk Post got that [error ?] in the March 29th article from this forum or one of those FB com. pages?

SNIPPET:

He was reported missing two weeks ago on March 18th. He had boarded the ferry to Koh Tao with his French girlfriend. He had left the boat before it departed to go and buy something but he had never returned.

All other press reports (Bangkok Post, Khaosod English, Samui Times) state the man went missing on 14th March 2016 but was not reported to the police as missing until 18th March 2016 by his girlfriend. That's 4 days, is it not?

Not arguing with the arithmetic, but where is the report this claim is sourced from? Other than the OP here, (un sourced completely) and March 29th Bkk Post article that also does not attribute the statement I can find no original media report from on or around the 18th when this story first broke.

I think it is one of those rumours baked into fact through repetitive regurgitation. (RRR)

Moonsterk, on 01 Apr 2016 - 03:33, said:

Thailand News Myth Busters !! Great idea. Thanks for posting the link, it really gets to the bone on a few of the myths surrounding foreigner deaths and exposes a couple of community pages that are completely irresponsible perpetuating lies.

I guess my post with the link to Bkk Post got deleted, (sorry Mods) but I had asked in it if you'd post permissible links (or PM me the links to Bkk articles) on or around March 18 that state the GF waited until March 18 to report Mr Louet missing- I can't find one reference to that claim other than a March 29th Bkk Post article- and of course the Thai Visa News Team OP ( which does not quote a source)

Wonder if Bkk Post got that [error ?] in the March 29th article from this forum or one of those FB com. pages?

Trying to be coy now, are we? I didn't really need to post the link since you know it so well already. It's your page.

From the Chiangrai Times, 29th March 2016:

French Diving Instructor, Jean-Francois Louet, Found Dead in Surat Thani

Commander Apichart Boonsriroj said Louet had travelled to Indonesia with his girlfriend. They returned to Surat Thani on March 14 and bought ferry tickets to Koh Tao.

Both already boarded their ferry, but just before departing, Louet got off the boat, presumably to buy something. Local media confirmed he had asked for directions to a 7-Eleven.

He never returned and his girlfriend did not report his disappearance to police until March 18.

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/french-diving-instructor-jean-francois-louet-found-dead-in-surat-thani.html

Whether this was first reported on 18th March or 29th March, it doesn't alter the fact that his girlfriend didn't report him missing for 4 days.

Moonsterk, on 01 Apr 2016 - 03:33, said:

Trying to be coy now, are we? I didn't really need to post the link since you know it so well already. It's your page.

No, you're mistaken, it's not my page, but I'm glad to have seen it.

Commander Apichart Boonsriroj said Louet had travelled to Indonesia with his girlfriend. They returned to Surat Thani on March 14 and bought ferry tickets to Koh Tao.

Both already boarded their ferry, but just before departing, Louet got off the boat, presumably to buy something. Local media confirmed he had asked for directions to a 7-Eleven.

He never returned and his girlfriend did not report his disappearance to police until March 18.

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/french-diving-instructor-jean-francois-louet-found-dead-in-surat-thani.html

Whether this was first reported on 18th March or 29th March, it doesn't alter the fact that his girlfriend didn't report him missing for 4 days.

And thanks for that but again, it's an article from the 29th Not one article that I can find from around the 18th that makes this claim.

I think local media makes a habit of reporting " facts" that aren't. The RRR factor, but I expect better of Bkk Post.

If you Google the original story in the Samui Times there is a comments section below it. The first comment is dated just before midnight on the 17 of march. Seems there is possible confusion of when the g/f reported him missing. As to where the bag he had came from you can clearly see a strap across his chest in the cctv picture.

alanrchase, on 01 Apr 2016 - 04:28, said:alanrchase, on 01 Apr 2016 - 04:28, said:
IslandLover, on 01 Apr 2016 - 04:02, said:IslandLover, on 01 Apr 2016 - 04:02, said:

If you Google the original story in the Samui Times there is a comments section below it. The first comment is dated just before midnight on the 17 of march. Seems there is possible confusion of when the g/f reported him missing. As to where the bag he had came from you can clearly see a strap across his chest in the cctv picture.

I'm seeing those comments as 18th March but it depends which timezone you're in. The Samui Times was the first publication to report that M. Louet was missing, with an appeal to contact Koh Tao Rescue and the police with any information. The report said he had disappeared 4 nights prior. I can't believe KT Rescue and the RTP would take 4 days to make this appeal if they had known about the disappearance before this date. I cannot see the strap across his chest in the CCTV picture but maybe your eyesight is better than mine.

alanrchase, on 01 Apr 2016 - 04:28, said:alanrchase, on 01 Apr 2016 - 04:28, said:

IslandLover, on 01 Apr 2016 - 04:02, said:IslandLover, on 01 Apr 2016 - 04:02, said:

I'm seeing those comments as 18th March but it depends which timezone you're in. The Samui Times was the first publication to report that M. Louet was missing, with an appeal to contact Koh Tao Rescue and the police with any information. The report said he had disappeared 4 nights prior. I can't believe KT Rescue and the RTP would take 4 days to make this appeal if they had known about the disappearance before this date. I cannot see the strap across his chest in the CCTV picture but maybe your eyesight is better than mine.

Resident on Koh Tao (doing some kind of work?), or backpacker (traveling weedsman) ?

Like · Reply · Mark as spam · Mar 17, 2016 11:28pm

The above is cut and paste.

As for cctv look at the right side of his neck, obvious strap which you can follow across the writing on his T-shirt.

Thank you for that but I am seeing no comments, (do you have to be logged in, and why no dates on those articles?) so my question remains, where did this claim originate, how did it get into this forum on earlier threads dated 18th and why did Bkk Post repeat an apparently unsubstantiated claim in a March 29th article? ( Which Chiang-rai Times picked up and dutifully regurgitated. )

I just want to illustrate how this is not an established fact, and might even be another example of the Koh Tao rumour machinations; Rumour + Repetitive Regurgitation = "fact" in order to cast the most innocuous and explainable of deaths into a dis-information agenda that foreigners are being murdered with impunity.

(Might be a good post on the Thailand Myth Busters FB page.)

http://www.samuitimes.com/french-man-missing-from-koh-tao/

http://www.samuitimes.com/urgent-appeal-for-information-on-missing-french-man-last-seen-in-surat-thani/

Thank you for that but I am seeing no comments, (do you have to be logged in, and why no dates on those articles?) so my question remains, where did this claim originate, how did it get into this forum on earlier threads dated 18th and why did Bkk Post repeat an apparently unsubstantiated claim in a March 29th article?

I just want to illustrate how this is not an established fact, and might even be another example of the Koh Tao rumour machinations; Rumour + Repetitive Regurgitation = "fact".

(Might be a good post on the Thailand Myth Busters FB page.

http://www.samuitimes.com/urgent-appeal-for-information-on-missing-french-man-last-seen-in-surat-thani/

Above is the link. I am viewing on a phone, full website may have a different format. No need to be logged in. Article is not dated but comments are.

Jean L whisky crop.jpg

I am unclear bamukloy why you are offended by the picture? Jean-francois looks like a good guy, fun guy. I think the shot shows a guy full of life, enjoying himself, diver, living in Thailand, I see a picture that shows joie de vivre.

Probably friends and family out there that are going to miss him, sorry for your loss you guys. RIP JF Louet, may you be swimming with mantas and whalesharks in heaven.

RIP my poor fellow citizen sad.png

Adieu

Happens all the time. Pop into the shop can't be bothered going back home then the young man just dies - you couldn't make these stories up !!!!

From previous reports, he had some issues with his leg(?). Those reports hint of decompression sickness. Possible he was disoriented after his last dive in Indonesia (which I believe was where he had been). Please correct me if I am wrong. In any case, RIP. Condolences to loved ones.

We can all speculate as to what happened, However the GF diid not report him missing for 4 days, that is pretty incredible and requires some explanation.

I think something was going on here,indeed the story is a mystery,the question is will it ever unfold or be thrown in the -to hard- basket.

She reported him missing in the morning....

Thank you for that but I am seeing no comments, (do you have to be logged in, and why no dates on those articles?) so my question remains, where did this claim originate, how did it get into this forum on earlier threads dated 18th and why did Bkk Post repeat an apparently unsubstantiated claim in a March 29th article?

I just want to illustrate how this is not an established fact, and might even be another example of the Koh Tao rumour machinations; Rumour + Repetitive Regurgitation = "fact".

Above is the link. I am viewing on a phone, full website may have a different format. No need to be logged in. Article is not dated but comments are.

Thank you again but I still cannot see comments. So you say the source of the "4 day wait .." claim is from a comment? What's the name on the comment ?

From previous reports, he had some issues with his leg(?). Those reports hint of decompression sickness. Possible he was disoriented after his last dive in Indonesia (which I believe was where he had been). Please correct me if I am wrong. In any case, RIP. Condolences to loved ones.

We can all speculate as to what happened, However the GF diid not report him missing for 4 days, that is pretty incredible and requires some explanation.

I think something was going on here,indeed the story is a mystery,the question is will it ever unfold or be thrown in the -to hard- basket.

She reported him missing in the morning....

The morning of the 15th? How do you know this, please?

Thank you again but I still cannot see comments. So you say the source of the "4 day wait .." claim is from a comment? What's the name on the comment ?

No. What I am saying is if the comments are correctly dated the length of time between him last being seen and reported missing is a maximum of three days.

No. What I am saying is if the comments are correctly dated the length of time between him last being seen and reported missing is a maximum of three days.

I'm still not getting how the comment relates to my query of the basis of this claim" four days passed before she reported him missing. Could you please tell me what is the comment, (even take a screen shot, possibly? ) and who is it by and how does it tell you " a maximum of three days" passed?

I'm still not getting how the comment relates to my query of the basis of this claim" four days passed before she reported him missing. Could you please tell me what is the comment, (even take a screen shot, possibly? ) and who is it by and how does it tell you " a maximum of three days" passed?

Some people are questioning why it took the g/f four days to report him missing. I am just pointing out that maybe she reported him missing earlier.

Hopefully a screen shot of the first comment will appear below dated 17 March.

post-199316-14594899691955_thumb.jpg

^ well thanks very much

That's odd how I cannot see the comments but now I understand your earlier " traveling weeds man.." post

OK so..... still not one verifiable source of where the claim the " GF did not make the missing person report for 4 days" is from but is now being quoted as a fact and Bkk Post is apparently reading TVF and not checking facts and Chiang rai rag is quoting them, mix well and put in oven and bake at 350 for a few hours Voila!! Rumour baked into fact.

i don't underststand why this guy was founded in a bananfields.

And i don't understand why his girl called the police 4 days after his disappearance

any body have a solution?

Nobody on this thread knows these things. Hopefully police investigation will shed some light.

And i don't understand why his girl called the police 4 days after his disappearance

Nobody on this thread knows these things. Hopefully police investigation will shed some light.

Yes,certainly

perhaps thai police have the solution

see and wait

alanrchase, on 01 Apr 2016 - 05:39, said:
IslandLover, on 01 Apr 2016 - 05:18, said:
alanrchase, on 01 Apr 2016 - 04:28, said:

Resident on Koh Tao (doing some kind of work?), or backpacker (traveling weedsman) ?

Like · Reply · Mark as spam · Mar 17, 2016 11:28pm

The above is cut and paste.

As for cctv look at the right side of his neck, obvious strap which you can follow across the writing on his T-shirt.

Like I said, I'm seeing that comment as Mar 18, 2016 7:28 am. I am in a different timezone from you. You may be right about the strap but it's hard to tell.

post-222707-0-86895100-1459516712_thumb.

Here's a thought.

Steven Drylie, the spokesperson for Koh Tao Rescue, apparently knew of this man's disappearance before 18th March. I suggest if people really want to know how long it took before the police were notified, they should ask him, or M. Louet's girlfriend Lea Mezziani. Then you can all contact the Bangkok Post and tell them that they were wrong in claiming the police were not notified of the disappearance until 18th March whistling.gif .

roodj, on 01 Apr 2016 - 11:28, said:

IF he was suffering from decompression sickness, had become disorientated and wandered off, it could explain why he was found so far away from the boat pier. No doubt all will be revealed in due course - or not.

Archived