Koh Tao French diving instructor found dead in Surat - police mystified

snoop1130

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP my poor fellow citizen sad.png

Adieu

Happens all the time. Pop into the shop can't be bothered going back home then the young man just dies - you couldn't make these stories up !!!!

Please Mr Policeman do a proper investigation------- not just say suicide------RIP young man

RIP.

He looks like a nice person in his photo. I was hoping he was going to be OK.

My thoughts exactly.I still can't figure out if he was actually going in the ferry or not. If he just left all his things----whatthings and where are they now------ on the ferry then I suppose the little walk to the 7 11 or whatever was only like across the street a couple of minutes away,yet he was found a couple of Km away.Sounds either he was nowhere near the ferry,and then his girlfriend was slow incoming foreward. I wish in circumstances like this we had some genuinely interested journalist would try and write something even vaguely true to life. If nothing else it would at least stop all the TV Sherlocks from making up all the usual rubbish------- Dougalcoffee1.gif

RIP Jean - Francois - we will probably never know how this happened .

I'm sure this is the perfect whodunnit for our amateur armchair sleuths who pertain to know everything. Personally, I think they're as good as the BIB and couldn't solve a suicide from a murder. Suicide is a great get out of jail free card or should say' out the <deleted> !!!

Oh dear, appears he was able to wander a bit too far off and outside of any help. Very sad ending for this chap. RIP

Not sure if this post above ^ gets the prize for most ridiculous example of clueless supposition- seems as if his shorts were changed and then quickly died!!

...or this one below for adhering to the Koh Tao Conspiracy Directive, where the barest hint of Koh tao involvement in any and all deaths are immediately woven into a fantasy scenario.

It's a tough call...

Bad news indeed, I was hoping he'd show up, but seriously doubted it.

Pain in leg sounds like a type 1 bend, not that serious. Type 2 bend, central nervous system, can cause disorientation, but the pain usually starts in the lower back. Doesn't sound likely for a diving instructor to get bent? Unless he flew to soon after diving. The negative pressure can bring on a bend.

My condolences to the family, and I hope the RTP manage to get to the bottom of it…

Let's have the autopsy result which I'm sure will reveal he expired of natural causes.

Prior media reports have him suffering an infection in either the leg or the arm, (or both?) a condition causing periodic or chronic swelling his arm as visible in the picture- having a fever, on some "medication" (the type not disclosed,) and did a 60 meter dive, then flew, then wandered off after leaving the boat for a ciggie and then asking directions to a 7- 11, then last seen back at the pier just as the boat left.

It's a miracle he made it as far as he did.

Really thought he was lying in hospital somewhere- if he'd headed in a different direction- who knows, maybe he'd be recovering today.

RIP my poor fellow citizen sad.png

Adieu

Happens all the time. Pop into the shop can't be bothered going back home then the young man just dies - you couldn't make these stories up !!!!

From previous reports, he had some issues with his leg(?). Those reports hint of decompression sickness. Possible he was disoriented after his last dive in Indonesia (which I believe was where he had been). Please correct me if I am wrong. In any case, RIP. Condolences to loved ones.

We can all speculate as to what happened, However the GF diid not report him missing for 4 days, that is pretty incredible and requires some explanation.

I think something was going on here,indeed the story is a mystery,the question is will it ever unfold or be thrown in the -to hard- basket.

I thought that too, however maybe they had a fight, he stormed off and she assumed he would be back in a day or 2.....it wouldn't be that unusual.

You also could understand her not wanting to publicly say that's what happened.

Though 4 days is still a while to angrily wait for someone to come home and if she thought he was "sick" from diving she could probably have shown more concern.......but then again it may not have been the first time he had taken off.

Did he have a fight with his G/F. Did anyone actually see him on the ferry or was it just her word. Certainly no robbery was involved as he was still wearing his gold necklace and diving watch. I think that the police need to question his G/F a little more, find out why she took 4 days to report him missing.

The mystery is, the frenchman and his girlfriend boarded the boat on March 14, he then disappears and the girlfriend doesn't report him missing until March 18. wai.gif

Where did you read this, please?

The first media report was 4 days later, on the 18th, I've not read anything about the date he was reported missing.

But if it was 4 days later, I can think of many explanations;

Maybe they don't live together and so she wouldn't know if he hadn't caught the next night's ferry, which I take gets in very early morning? And so already the 3rd day has passed.

Maybe they had a fight and she was done with him.

Maybe she really thought he went out on a bender.

Maybe she has another beau.

Maybe she relished the alone time.

Maybe..... ad infinitum..

Absolutely mental for the majority.. Ever heard the term if got nothing good to say, then say nothing?

The fact is koh tao is an island of mystery, and there have been as many as 5 unexplained deaths of recent.. This, even though no foul play is another and most likely down to the quality of the reporter.

Went to buy something and ends up dead, Thailand is certainly getting more dangerous for falang every day, RIP good sir.

AFAIK there has been now evidence of "foul play", possible contributing factors may be down to his diving activities, but due to decomposition of the body I doubt they will be able to examine soft tissue for clues as to cause of death.

Absolutely mental for the majority.. Ever heard the term if got nothing good to say, then say nothing?

The fact is koh tao is an island of mystery, and there have been as many as 5 unexplained deaths of recent.. This, even though no foul play is another and most likely down to the quality of the reporter.

This was Surat Thani, not Koh Tao and there have been no unexplained deaths on Koh Tao I'm aware of. Please provide a link to these mystery deaths. I do not consider it a fact anyone other that David Miller and Hannah Witheridge were murdered.

I have read a somewhat willy-nilly effort to exonerate two convicted men through rumour mongering that assorted FB community pages really push, already doing it with this death-all part and parcel of a boogey man who murders at will with impunity. This recent decedent, " must have known something..." being the gist of it.

Please explain your meaning.

This, even though no foul play is another and most likely down to the quality of the reporter.

Went to buy something and ends up dead, Thailand is certainly getting more dangerous for falang every day, RIP good sir.

AFAIK there has been now evidence of "foul play", possible contributing factors may be down to his diving activities, but due to decomposition of the body I doubt they will be able to examine soft tissue for clues as to cause of death.

has been now evidence...

Now or no ?

I think his prior medical problems, condition along with a deep dive and flying would surely be shown to have been the cause, and agree, any thorough examination and necessary tests will be too involved and expensive due to the decomposition - so rumour mongers will have even more fodder for the fantasies.

Good grief, maybe they're....... nah.

The mystery is, the frenchman and his girlfriend boarded the boat on March 14, he then disappears and the girlfriend doesn't report him missing until March 18. wai.gif

Yes and no !! This is Thailand ! and the girlfriend might of taught he dumped her for another one .....just a taught ! maybe she taught he would come back the next day ? many possibilities .....different people react differently in the same situation !

Regards.

No way in this world would you not understand the implications of flying after a dive (vice versa).. and was he not a diving instructor?

absolutly correct, since there is no information as to how soon after diving he got on a plane one would presume his hair wasn't still wet, the facts that we do know is that he was a well seasoned diver and instructor.

It comes down to whether you want to believe the police and the published results of any autopsy

RIP

Archived