3BB fibre quietly upgraded to 100 mbps?

roly

Folks, I'm not a 3BB customer but it seems to me that you're mixing two different sets of usernames/passwords.

- the admin account used to log into the router's web interface

- the PPP/PPoE username that must be configured into the router's parameters, used to established your data comms with the operator (that's the XXXXX@3bbfttx one)

If you do a factory reset of the router, you need to log into its web administrative interface using that admin account and then proceed (likely through some kind of wizard) to its basic setup which includes entering that PPP account.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a full range of speed tests midday today, doing apples-to-apples comparisons in various categories between my True Online 30 Mbps cable plan and the 3BB 100/10 Fiber plan.

The short answer is, for admittedly a somewhat higher price (799+ with True vs. 1200+ with 3BB), the 3BB service appears to be faster in pretty much every respect, both domestic and international. At least in my location/situation.

We'll see if that still holds true equally so during the evening rush hours.

Details to follow...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

OK, here's my recap of the 3BB Fiber 100/10 vs. True Online cable 30/3 speed test comparisons I did midday today.

As I had mentioned above, my main motivation for ditching True Online was the absolutely horrible (unusable) upload speeds they keep giving me, despite repeated service calls, router changes, etc etc.).

If 3BB is able to continue giving me these kinds of results, and things don't go totally to h**l in the evenings, then I'm content to pay the somewhat higher monthly price.

post-58284-0-61482100-1462435483_thumb.j

PS - With using a VPN, I was able to get substantially faster international download speeds (but not faster uploads) with True Online vs. using a True connection direct for international use. It will be interesting to see what happens to the 3BB fiber performance when I likewise add a VPN service into the mix. But today's results above were all direct, no VPN involved.

I re-ran my basic international speed tests for 3BB fiber vs. True Online cable tonight just before 8 p.m.

Unlike my midday set, this evening's set were done via Wifi N connections to their respective routers.

It looks like the 3BB speeds were generally a bit slower than the midday numbers, but still markedly better than True's results. And at least in my case, the True connection continued to have virtually unusable upload speeds.

post-58284-0-85622700-1462457332_thumb.j

I also checked the wifi signals of 3BB's Huawei router vs True's Cisco router, and they both had comparable wifi signal strengths.

post-58284-0-43904800-1462457607_thumb.j

I have no idea how to interpret speed test results but here is my recent experience with streaming live basketball games. I posted on another thread recently that my new FO (1,284 baht) connection with 3BB was awesome, completely stable and fast. The first couple of basketball games I streamed had zero breaks in the audio and video. But alas, no more. The last few games have had many breaks, and this morning the breaks were incessant. The audio kept up but the video broke up nearly every time the Golden State Warriors had the ball. So after the initial awe, I'm now less impressed. If you have a cable connection and you're happy with it, don't change. I've been in this new house with the FO connection for three weeks now and I'd say the awesomeness lasted for the first week or two.

I'm still happy that I can stream my online video and audio Thai lessons on my smartphone using the Wifi, though.

I need to update what I posted on April 4th. After roughly a week of unstable basketball streaming, it got good again and has remained good ever since. Very good, very stable with almost not breaks. So, I like it again smile.png

Just an update on my new 3BB FTTH service:

It worked flawlessly, and speedily, for the first three days after installation. Then on Sunday midday, without any warning or obvious reason, the service died. We called and talked with 3BB customer service Sunday afternoon and they supposedly put us in their service queue and promised to call back with an update.

The rest of Sun. passed with no call or update. Then got a call from their service staff midday today/Monday asking if we were still out, which we were. So they again promised a service call, without promising when. Then another call around 6 pm today/Monday, and finally told us they'd scheduled a service call for Tuesday before noon.

So, assuming they keep the promised appointment Tuesday morning, we'll have been totally without our new 3BB FTTH service for the past two days. Hope this is not going to be their pattern moving forward for the future.

Will the bill go up after 90 days ?

I am currently on 10mb/1mb and really need more speed ,so hopefully - if they have fibre in my area ,i think i might go for this

Good for streaming i think !

I think the 10mb deal for 590 baht a month is going up to 18mb soon. I rang them and it is being rolled out over the next month.

Our contract now 3BB 15M/1.5M, 963.00baht/month ( tax included in 963 ). Real speed seems to be 18M. Looks like they have upgraded us. But the price is high compared to the 20M VDSL which is 590baht/month.

How can we downgrade our price? Should we cancel our contract and then reapply for 18M ADSL to get the correct price 590baht/month?

3bb claimed that 18M ADSL has better international connections than 20M VDSL. I doubt that.

I am currently on 10mb/1mb and really need more speed ,so hopefully - if they have fibre in my area ,i think i might go for this

I think the 10mb deal for 590 baht a month is going up to 18mb soon. I rang them and it is being rolled out over the next month.

Our contract now 3BB 15M/1.5M, 963.00baht/month ( tax included in 963 ). Real speed seems to be 18M. Looks like they have upgraded us. But the price is high compared to the 20M VDSL which is 590baht/month.

How can we downgrade our price? Should we cancel our contract and then reapply for 18M ADSL to get the correct price 590baht/month?

3bb claimed that 18M ADSL has better international connections than 20M VDSL. I doubt that.

More expensive packages could have better international speeds. You'll get what you're paying for. Instead of 20/4, perhaps 110 baht more and 700 baht + vat / month you apply for 50/10 mbit vdsl.

More expensive packages could have better international speeds. You'll get what you're paying for. Instead of 20/4, perhaps 110 baht more and 700 baht + vat / month you apply for 50/10 mbit vdsl.

Our connection is quite ok. Main problem is we pay 963baht when others pay 630baht for the same 18M ADSL service. There is 3bb wifi included in our package. Does anybody know if 3bbwifi is included also in VDSL packages?

We called 3bb service number 1530 half dozen times. Not easy to pump information from there. They maybe don't know answers to some questions and some info they want to hide.

I just tested connecting into our home from abroad. It is now open. Sometimes there is double NAT ( another NAT in 3bb network ) so then connections from anywhere into our home router are blocked. Sometimes only connections from abroad are blocked.

Are other 3bb internet connections open for connections from abroad?

Just an update on my new 3BB FTTH service:

It worked flawlessly, and speedily, for the first three days after installation. Then on Sunday midday, without any warning or obvious reason, the service died. We called and talked with 3BB customer service Sunday afternoon and they supposedly put us in their service queue and promised to call back with an update.

The rest of Sun. passed with no call or update. Then got a call from their service staff midday today/Monday asking if we were still out, which we were. So they again promised a service call, without promising when. Then another call around 6 pm today/Monday, and finally told us they'd scheduled a service call for Tuesday before noon.

So, assuming they keep the promised appointment Tuesday morning, we'll have been totally without our new 3BB FTTH service for the past two days. Hope this is not going to be their pattern moving forward for the future.

So...just to close the loop on this. Our 3BB FTTH internet service was turned back on about 2 pm this afternoon -- about two full days after it went out.

The 3BB techs didn't show up for the scheduled 10 to noon appointment today, but did show up later about 1 pm, and discovered that apparently a tall truck or double-level bus had come down our soi and hit the cabling overhead...down the street from us.

That had happened before with True Online's cable as well, repeatedly, until I finally had convinced the True techs, after about the 5th call to repair our service over many months, to finally tie off their cabling to raise it far enough above the street level. After that, we never had any further similar problems.

Looks like I may have to repeat the same raise the cabling endeavor with 3BB now moving forward, since I suspect they simply repaired the cable today exactly where they had placed it low-hanging originally -- just waiting for another tall truck or bus to come down our soi.

The good news is, after today's repair, I ran another set of speed tests, and the current speeds are just as fast as they were prior to the outage. So it's nice to have that back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, here's my recap of the 3BB Fiber 100/10 vs. True Online cable 30/3 speed test comparisons I did midday today.

As I had mentioned above, my main motivation for ditching True Online was the absolutely horrible (unusable) upload speeds they keep giving me, despite repeated service calls, router changes, etc etc.).

If 3BB is able to continue giving me these kinds of results, and things don't go totally to h**l in the evenings, then I'm content to pay the somewhat higher monthly price.

attachicon.gifPS5689.jpg

PS - With using a VPN, I was able to get substantially faster international download speeds (but not faster uploads) with True Online vs. using a True connection direct for international use. It will be interesting to see what happens to the 3BB fiber performance when I likewise add a VPN service into the mix. But today's results above were all direct, no VPN involved.

TG,

Just for some belated comparison and since I have the True Online 15Mb/1.5Mb plan (half speed of your 30/3 plan you had), here's what I got for download speeds (a 25MB file just like you used) three times around 3:15pm/midday. But since San Jose is no longer a testmy.net selection, I used the nearby San Francisco selection.

Non VPN Connection

2.2 / 2.2 /0.5Mb (almost fell asleep as the tests ran0

And as you mentioned when switching to a VPN connection via/at Singapore the same testmy.net 25MB Download test to SF was much faster

VPN Connection

18 / 10.5 / 20.8Mb

My 3BB FO was upgraded to 100Megs along with many of those who posted on here.

Since then it has never actually resulted in a significant improvement at the user-face. Speedtests [most of which have their critics for good reason] suggest 'we' are getting more bang for our buck. I just don't see it - what I may gain in speed I lose in latency. Therefore the page I want actually seems to be taking longer to load 100%. Is it just me? Don't think so .....

Never one to be attracted to the Conspiracy Theory idea, I personally feel that my choices are being throttled [as if there was some restrictive bottleneck where my requests [at an International level] are being assessed before being implemented. No significant slowing of Thai websites but significant slowing for International access; even for sites that could hardly be deemed as not desirable fodder for those within the land of more questions than answers.

Just askin'

I think the 100mb fiber from 3bb is great. Netflix 4k runs with no buffering at all. FTP and usenet speeds are close to 11-12 MB. Youtube 4k no problem and streaming from twitch.tv and npo.nl is fantastic (with my previous true 16mb I had so many issues).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by sniffdog

I think the 100mb fiber from 3bb is great. Netflix 4k runs with no buffering at all. FTP and usenet speeds are close to 11-12 MB. Youtube 4k no problem and streaming from twitch.tv and npo.nl is fantastic (with my previous true 16mb I had so many issues).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah only torrents are throttled and not all the time

still get 2.7-4mb/s most of the time which is cool as long as other more important stuff gets 10+

the 11mbps upload is the greatest thing. 3 was a pain for sending videos and pictures

Edited by bearpolar

3BB 100/10 Mbps fiber in BKK and a good VPN. Performance to love....

attachicon.gifPS0487.jpg

attachicon.gifPS0488.jpg

TG,

Just for comparison with only a True cable/DOCSIS 15Mb down / 1.5Mb up plan within an hour and half of your test, below is what I got in testing to Colorado Springs USA via VPN PPTP connection San Francisco and VPN PPTP connection Singapore at 3:30pm Bangkok time.

Basically with VPN I'm able to get full international speed from my lowly 15Mb connection which is way more than enough for my internet needs which is mostly browsing, emailing, some file downloading, etc., with little life video streaming. In all my testing over the last week I have found out that unless I specifically need a U.S IP address (or whatever country IP adddress) I just use a Singapore VPN connection/IP address which gives me better speed than if using a U.S. VPN connection.

I may still upgrade to the True DOCSIS/cable 30/3 plan since I don't have the choice of using 3BB, AIS, or TOT fiber....my only other choice in my moobaan is TOT ADSL up to 20Mb. Really don't "need" the additional speed...more of just an "urge" right now. If I do upgrade, I will keep my fingers crossed that upping my plan to 30Mb will also up my VPN speed to Singapore/US/etc., to around 30Mb.

Via San Francisco VPN

post-55970-0-98645500-1466239158_thumb.j

Via Singapore VPN

post-55970-0-24396100-1466239166_thumb.j

3BB 100/10 Mbps fiber in BKK and a good VPN. Performance to love....

attachicon.gifPS0487.jpg

attachicon.gifPS0488.jpg

TG,

Just for comparison with only a True cable/DOCSIS 15Mb down / 1.5Mb up plan within an hour and half of your test, below is what I got in testing to Colorado Springs USA via VPN PPTP connection San Francisco and VPN PPTP connection Singapore at 3:30pm Bangkok time.

Basically with VPN I'm able to get full international speed from my lowly 15Mb connection which is way more than enough for my internet needs which is mostly browsing, emailing, some file downloading, etc., with little life video streaming. In all my testing over the last week I have found out that unless I specifically need a U.S IP address (or whatever country IP adddress) I just use a Singapore VPN connection/IP address which gives me better speed than if using a U.S. VPN connection.

I may still upgrade to the True DOCSIS/cable 30/3 plan since I don't have the choice of using 3BB, AIS, or TOT fiber....my only other choice in my moobaan is TOT ADSL up to 20Mb. Really don't "need" the additional speed...more of just an "urge" right now. If I do upgrade, I will keep my fingers crossed that upping my plan to 30Mb will also up my VPN speed to Singapore/US/etc., to around 30Mb.

Via San Francisco VPN

attachicon.gifCapture via SF.JPG

Via Singapore VPN

attachicon.gifCapture via SG.JPG

Are you sure they haven't upgraded you already?

No, I said I was thinking about upgrading to 30/3 from 15/1.5; I haven't decided yet.

When I run a local speedtest (i.e., to a Bangkok server), I always get somewhere over 20Mb download speed due to the bursting....depends on the time of day...usually it's right around 22Mb as I will test a few times a week just to ensure my local connection is good. Sometimes I get as high as 28Mb...once again, it's goes higher than the plan's 15Mb rated/advertised speed due to the DOCSIS "bursting" capability. A True 30Mb DOCSIS plan will clock around 40 to 45Mb in a local speed test due to the bursting.

For example I just did a speedtest using the TOT speedtester at 5:50pm.

post-55970-0-86689400-1466247255_thumb.j

No, I said I was thinking about upgrading to 30/3 from 15/1.5; I haven't decided yet.

When I run a local speedtest (i.e., to a Bangkok server), I always get somewhere over 20Mb download speed due to the bursting....depends on the time of day...usually it's right around 22Mb as I will test a few times a week just to ensure my local connection is good. Sometimes I get as high as 28Mb...once again, it's goes higher than the plan's 15Mb rated/advertised speed due to the DOCSIS "bursting" capability. A True 30Mb DOCSIS plan will clock around 40 to 45Mb in a local speed test due to the bursting.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I had a True DOCSIS plan before and it hit the advertised speed in Thailand.. it did about half to Hong Kong during the day and was absolutely useless after 8pm.. only had it a week.. cancelled the contract and took all the equipment back to the main TRUE shop.. cables and all.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I had a True DOCSIS plan before and it hit the advertised speed in Thailand.. it did about half to Hong Kong during the day and was absolutely useless after 8pm.. only had it a week.. cancelled the contract and took all the equipment back to the main TRUE shop.. cables and all.

Using Speedtest.net simply because it can test to Hong Kong I did two tests at around 8:35pm wiht my True DOCSIS 15Mb plan.

First test/image below to from Bangkok to Hong Kong (not VPN). Second test/image from Bangkok via Singapore VPN connection to Hong Kong. Can't say what my speed to Hong Kong is during the day as I've never tested it.

post-55970-0-41039000-1466257324_thumb.j

post-55970-0-56581700-1466257333_thumb.j

Compared to anything available in Oz - 3BB rocks !! Thailand may be 2/3rd world in many things - but as far as internet speeds and costs are concerned - Aust is 3rd world.

post-231618-0-49859800-1466319050_thumb.

post-231618-0-55654500-1466319051_thumb.

Edited by BB24