Chatuchak Market For Pets, Recommended?

Most of the pet sellers should be tortured. They are human excrement and deserve a good case of cancer.

What I've seen at Chatuchak couldn't even be described as a disgrace, because that be an upgrade.

I had a look around JJ market last week and was pretty tortured myself looking at some of the conditions the pups were kept in.

Having said that, if I wanted a pet that is exactly where I would get it from just to release from the hel_l it is obviously in.

I probably didn't see all the pet areas, one was enough. :o

Moss

Most of the pet sellers should be tortured. They are human excrement and deserve a good case of cancer.

What I've seen at Chatuchak couldn't even be described as a disgrace, because that be an upgrade.

I had a look around JJ market last week and was pretty tortured myself looking at some of the conditions the pups were kept in.

Having said that, if I wanted a pet that is exactly where I would get it from just to release from the hel_l it is obviously in.

I probably didn't see all the pet areas, one was enough. :o

Moss

so far I have bought 2 puppies from breeders that have shops at JJ and a friend has bought a great cat! No issues at all! (be smart ... look for alert happy animals ... look for signs of illness ... immediatly take your new family member to a vet!)

some breeders are just puppy mills far overstressing the bitches with pregnancy after pregnancy and not protecting the bloodlines from over in-breeding! Pretty much makes one place as risky as the rest unless you know the breeders and their practices

I have only bought parrots (Conures) without probs.

If buying a bird like the Conure, put yr hand in the box and see if they will step-up onto your hand.

If they do, buy them, as they have been raised from the shell and have been subject to a lot of care.

Make sure you get the breeders contact details as you may want to buy more, later. :D

Most good, part-time breeders won't be there every week, once the clutch is sold.

post-2707-1162585914.jpg

Sun Conure Aratinga Solstitialis

Great little watch "dogs"

post-2707-1162586325_thumb.jpg

Green-cheecked Conures

Much quieter than the Sunnys,

Ideal for an apartment.

Both types are very affectionate and respond to time spent with them out of the cage on a daily basis.

Let me know if you need a good cage and where to buy one on wheels. (2000Bt, in 2002)

Enjoy :D

edit: conures don't have 'dander' on their feathers, powder, to you and me, which makes them ideal for peeps who may suffer from alergies.

They love a shower and will join you if loose in the bathroom..... True! :o

Edited by udon

I have only bought parrots (Conures) without probs.

If buying a bird like the Conure, put yr hand in the box and see if they will step-up onto your hand.

If they do, buy them, as they have been raised from the shell and have been subject to a lot of care.

Make sure you get the breeders contact details as you may want to buy more, later. :D

Most good, part-time breeders won't be there every week, once the clutch is sold.

post-2707-1162585914.jpg

Sun Conure Aratinga Solstitialis

Great little watch "dogs"

post-2707-1162586325_thumb.jpg

Green-cheecked Conures

Much quieter than the Sunnys,

Ideal for an apartment.

Both types are very affectionate and respond to time spent with them out of the cage on a daily basis.

Let me know if you need a good cage and where to buy one on wheels. (2000Bt, in 2002)

Enjoy :D

edit: conures don't have 'dander' on their feathers, powder, to you and me, which makes them ideal for peeps who may suffer from alergies.

They love a shower and will join you if loose in the bathroom..... True! :o

udon,

just wondering, would birds like the ones you have do okay in a large covered cage outside if it was in a sheltered spot? i haven't got a house yet, just living in a small bamboo hut for now, not enough room for an inside cage.

never thought about it much before, but looking at your birds got me thinking about buying some one day. are they singers/talkers or both? just curious.

thnx,

turnpike

so far I have bought 2 puppies from breeders that have shops at JJ and a friend has bought a great cat! No issues at all! (be smart ... look for alert happy animals ... look for signs of illness ... immediatly take your new family member to a vet!)

I havn't an issue with buying from JJ, except my personal thoughts are they are kept inhumanely.

Man's inhumanity to man is only reflected in a worse light by it's inhumanity to animals.

Keeping six pups in a tiny cage, whether they should be isolated from the mother at this stage I am not sure, was not humane, so I still say buy from there to save them a life of further misery.

As for illness, well I might even consider this, just to do the right thing.

But when has doing the right thing gone hand in hand with doing things right.

Moss

"udon,

just wondering, would birds like the ones you have do okay in a large covered cage outside if it was in a sheltered spot? i haven't got a house yet, just living in a small bamboo hut for now, not enough room for an inside cage.

never thought about it much before, but looking at your birds got me thinking about buying some one day. are they singers/talkers or both? just curious.

thnx,

turnpike"

No problem, just make sure you use 1/2 mesh to keep vermin out, and zinc free wire.

Spray them with a hand mister at least once a day and fresh water as often as possible, they like to dunk their food and bathe in their dish.

Inside cage is only 1 meter long x 1/2 m high on wheels. Give them plenty of toys to occupy their time too. They are very smart. :D and only 12" high..... like a mini macaw.

They can talk but nothing like an Amazon or an African Grey. ($$$$$$$$$$$) :o

Conures.

actually a friend of mine who lives in bangkok said there are exceptional breeders in JJ esspecially those with aircon rooms. they show you the mother of the puppy and other stuff you need to know... any thoughts on this? i've seen those pups that they sell in JJ and i agree with you it must be hel_l for those pets, they are being displayed like dead fish waiting to be eaten... :o

hey udon... still no luck... ill be in bangkok on the 15th and leave on the 20th... pretty tight sched, hope i can find a breeder soon... :o

Why the rush? I understand that you're only in BKK for a short time, but where are you going after that? Elsewhere in LOS, or overseas? If overseas, forget it. The restrictions on getting a dog out mean it's impossible in such a short time, unless you smuggle it out. Not recommended!

If you're going somewhere else in Thailand, don't they have breeders there? Does it absolutely have to be a Pom? Why not get in touch with Soi Dog Rescue anyway? At least you can be assured of a healthy dog, yes SDR have pups, although probably not purebreds.

I work in dog rescue in Hua Hin & the number of sick purebreds I see on vet visits is unbelievable. Puppies too young to be separated from their mothers sold in the market & 2 days later they're at the vet's with parvo or distemper. These sorts of breeders & sellers should be shot! If you want a purebred dog, you should always go to a reputable breeder (not a market or petshop), see the mother & the environment in which the pup was raised. A little difficult in 5 days, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

hey udon... still no luck... ill be in bangkok on the 15th and leave on the 20th... pretty tight sched, hope i can find a breeder soon... :o

Why the rush? I understand that you're only in BKK for a short time, but where are you going after that? Elsewhere in LOS, or overseas? If overseas, forget it. The restrictions on getting a dog out mean it's impossible in such a short time, unless you smuggle it out. Not recommended!

If you're going somewhere else in Thailand, don't they have breeders there? Does it absolutely have to be a Pom? Why not get in touch with Soi Dog Rescue anyway? At least you can be assured of a healthy dog, yes SDR have pups, although probably not purebreds.

I work in dog rescue in Hua Hin & the number of sick purebreds I see on vet visits is unbelievable. Puppies too young to be separated from their mothers sold in the market & 2 days later they're at the vet's with parvo or distemper. These sorts of breeders & sellers should be shot! If you want a purebred dog, you should always go to a reputable breeder (not a market or petshop), see the mother & the environment in which the pup was raised. A little difficult in 5 days, I guess.

whats your problem? i am not in a rush and as if dogs can easily be smuggled out of your country! on the contrary i have import permits ready and i am always in bangkok, although i stay only for a few days i am there almost every month and it has been my dream to locate a pom breeder in bangkok... why does it have to be a pom you say?! you work in a dog rescue org, you must know then that most of your rescued dogs are abandoned or their owners are not capable of taking care of them, why?! because there is such thing as compatibility... your lifestyle has to be compatible with that of a dog. what if i get a dalmatian or a labrador, but i only live in a small apartment and has no great desire for exercise but a few walks here and there, would you recommend that i get these kinds of dog then? i think not...

so my reasons that i wanna aquire a pom is because i have a pom here and i'd like to get another one so that she will have a playmate aside from me... basing on my experience with my pom here their intelligence and quick sense to adapt is what endeared me most of this breed.. so please dont hink that i am a pompous, carefree person just trying to have a dog because i am not. ok?!

by the way... udon! i finally got my pom :o he's male, all white and very healthy... i got him from this nice lady who lives in bangkok and has pomeranians running around her house... he is such a sweet baby :D he comes with a pedigree paper approved by the kennel club of thailand... all my research finally paid off :D i got lucky this time because i have a friend in bangkok and this puppy is actually owned by her boss :D

image148ek6.jpg

When I first came here I bought two yorkies from JJ cause my gf wanted them. They were healthy but we made sure that the people we bought them from were real breeders and not just a puppy mill. The place is dirty and the dogs will probably have some sort of minor problem like ticks or microscopic bugs in the ears which can be fixed in a couple weeks. Broke up and the dogs didn't end up with me.

A couple years later really missed the dogs, so I purchased two more from reputable breeders not in JJ. I truly can't say they were any better since it is still Thailand. The level of sanitation is just not at the same standard level just as you see restaurants on the street. They just aren't at the same level of cleanliness as in the West.

Never buy a dog from one of the JJ sellers that do not have a decent a/c shop or if they sell multiple breeds of dogs. A good breeder will specialize in only one or maybe two breeds. If they have a variety then it is probably a pet shop buying from puppy mills.

As mentioned earlier by someone else, always check the lineage of the dogs. The pedigree papers should have 3 generations which is needed if you want to register it with the AKA. One place to find breeders is on pantipmarket.com or sanook.com or there is a dog magazine called dog world or something like that in Thai which has a list of Thai breeders and their contact info.

Good Luck!

Oh yeah, I wouldn't buy a JJ dog to save it from its current environment. It will just make the sellers continue what they are doing. Boycott them so they will stop when they make no money.

whats your problem? i am not in a rush and as if dogs can easily be smuggled out of your country! on the contrary i have import permits ready and i am always in bangkok, although i stay only for a few days i am there almost every month and it has been my dream to locate a pom breeder in bangkok... why does it have to be a pom you say?! you work in a dog rescue org, you must know then that most of your rescued dogs are abandoned or their owners are not capable of taking care of them, why?! because there is such thing as compatibility... your lifestyle has to be compatible with that of a dog. what if i get a dalmatian or a labrador, but i only live in a small apartment and has no great desire for exercise but a few walks here and there, would you recommend that i get these kinds of dog then? i think not...

so my reasons that i wanna aquire a pom is because i have a pom here and i'd like to get another one so that she will have a playmate aside from me... basing on my experience with my pom here their intelligence and quick sense to adapt is what endeared me most of this breed.. so please dont hink that i am a pompous, carefree person just trying to have a dog because i am not. ok?!

So sorry, I must apologise. Being new to the forum, I thought that when someone posted asking for advice that they actually wanted it. Thanks for enlightening me, I won't make that mistake again in a hurry. I certainly didn't mean to imply you were pompous & I'm not sure how I did... And as for making assumptions about the other person, well, you made a few wrong ones about me & about the dogs I deal with. Abandoned pre-owned dogs are a real minority. We look after sick & injured soi dogs, many of whom have never had a human care for them before & I never rehome one without very careful investigation of where they're going, who they're going to & their compatibility with that person's lifestyle

well at least now that we get each other, we can probably make a good start :o im sory if i snapped right away... i was just a bit ticked off that you implied why should it be a pom...

with regards to the jj pet shops, i have been there many times and i do agree that those people need to be shot... im wondering where do they get all these puppies from??? i mean especially the chihuahuas, even if the bitch is breeder size still, its quite too small to give birth to many pups let alone let the bitch give birth many times a year...

with regards to the jj pet shops, i have been there many times and i do agree that those people need to be shot... im wondering where do they get all these puppies from??? i mean especially the chihuahuas, even if the bitch is breeder size still, its quite too small to give birth to many pups let alone let the bitch give birth many times a year...

A Chihuahua, I hope that is spelt right or I will get some pompous a*se telling me the correct way, can breed upto six times, as long as they are healthy, they should not be bred any more than that for the Mothers safety.

As you say, I have no faith that these sellers follow any form of guidelines and they will live in abject misery.

A previous poster has also related not to buy just to take them away from their environment, a response to an earlier post by me, on reflection I probably agree, as a short term measure for a single pup will have a perpetuating effect on many others.

I hadn't thought of that.

Moss