Farangs outraged by Tesco Lotus commercial showing Thai maid being slapped (VIDEO)

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Thai-language advert, which is meant to be light-hearted and targeted at a Thai audience, shows the maid dropping a plate of crisps into the lap of her boss who then gets up and slaps the maid across the face.

But in the next scene when the boss is told by the maid that Tesco Lotus has a promotion offering huge discounts, she says to the maid Mai pen rai, or Its okay.

What sort of dumb #@%*, dip sh$t, <deleted> wit moron thinks this a good idea?

It's not humorous, it's just violence.

+1 A completely pointless commercial.

Having witnessed the disgraceful way the Singaporeans treat Filipina house maids in person, I was shocked when I came here to LoS to find that same thing is percieved to be perfectly OK as well and flaunted on the Television nightly.

For those that have posted stuff like its not real its an advert, or get a life...the brutal truth is that these maids do not have a life.

The Thai soaps are a constant stream of physical and verbal abuse on a level that defies ordinary life anywhere else but S.E. Asia.

Read this about a right pair of sickos and then tell me that treating other people like caged animals is even slightly amusing or to be treated in an offhand manner..... Tesco should have been fined - they would have been in the UK.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/singaporean-couple-convicted-of-starving-maid-whose-weight-dropped-from-49kg

Many farangs are outraged that anyone in the world lives without the PC values and inhibitions they learned in their home countries.

There is a place where people live and think exactly like you would like them to live and think.

I can draw them a map to the airport if it helps!whistling.gif

So you're saying that it's part of Thai culture to abuse maids? It's okay and if you don't like it go home?

Just wanted to clear that up.

I am saying that maid abuse is a reality here.

"If you don't like it go home" is a phrase used way to often here on TV.

I avoid using that phrase even when I think it.

I'm just saying that there are places more to your liking, so why not just go away?

Clear enough?

Don't really see much wrong with it, odd how easily people get upset these days.

Yeah...I mean what is wrong with a boss slapping their employees because they dropped something. Crisps cost money you know. 50 baht in some places, this maid is lucky she only got a slap.

She would have got much worse if the iron had only been hot enough, good job the boss found out about the sale before it did really.

It's PC gone mad saying you can't hit servants.

Yes, I know she didn't connect and it was just an ad, but the idea it conveys that the maid is lucky she knew about the sale before she got worse, that the boss was within her rights to strike her and was in fact generous because she forgave her once she knew about the sale, is an appalling one to convey.

Even in jest it is wrong.

What a sensitive bunch of precious darlings people are nowadays. The 'slap' was so badly acted it was inches from the maid's face. If these stupid 'farang' complainers understood a few words of Thai, they would recognize all the usual Thai comedy nuances [i.e. slapstick] at work here. Go back to shuffling around Villa Supermarket with your trolley of overpriced hummus and imported cheeses, you pitiful bunch of sanctimonious ex-pats-come-lately.

Many farangs are outraged that anyone in the world lives without the PC values and inhibitions they learned in their home countries.

There is a place where people live and think exactly like you would like them to live and think.

So you're saying that it's part of Thai culture to abuse maids? It's okay and if you don't like it go home?

I'm just saying that there are places more to your liking, so why not just go away?

Clear enough?

It is a reality. That doesn't mean we have to celebrate it.

If I don't like adverts that depict abuse of maids as normal I should go away?

Seems a bit drastic, doesn't it? I could just speak out about it and stay.

Clear enough?

I agree,

I do not celebrate it either.

If an advertisement offended me, I would just not patronize the advertiser and maybe even let them know about it.

But coming to a different country and culture and expecting to change it to what is acceptable in your home country is both delusional and rude.

So yes, by all means, speak out and stay if that is good enough for you.

But if you think you are going to change things here.....

thousands of Christian missionaries who have come here to change Thailand, Thai people, and Thai culture over the past couple of hundred years could tell you,

It's just not going to happen...ever.

I respect Thailand for that.

I love Thailand , even with all of it's warts and pimples.

It will change, everything does, but it will change on it's own, in it's own time.

It will not change because people from other places think it should change and be like "where they come from".

If you can accept that, you should stay and enjoy it for the wonderful place that it is....warts and all.

If not, I can still draw a map.

Edited by willyumiii

Next !!!Why would anybody get upset?

You can see her hand never touched the girl.

Too many farangs with nothing to do but complain.

Whether or not her hand didn't touch the girl's face, it's the fact that it shows that it is still OK here to physically abuse a maid who makes a simple mistake that is so wrong.

Whoever thought of the concept that it was still OK in the 21st century for a rich bitch to physically abuse someone she considers below her own social station should have 'attitude adjustment' - outside of Thailand. Learn the REAL world.

Whoever devised, produced and broadcast this disgraceful piece of still-medieval attitude to others should be fired.

Edited by Mister Fixit

Whether or not her hand didn't touch the girl's face, it's the fact that it shows that it is still OK here to physically abuse a maid who makes a simple mistake that is so wrong.

Whoever thought of the concept that it was still OK in the 21st century for a rich bitch to physically abuse someone she considers below her own social station should have 'attitude adjustment' - outside of Thailand. Learn the REAL world.

Whoever devised, produced and broadcast this disgraceful piece of still-medieval attitude to others should be fired.

Clearly, colin has no understanding of how slaps, punches etc are filmed.

I agree,

I do not celebrate it either.

If an advertisement offended me, I would just not patronize the advertiser and maybe even let them know about it.

But coming to a different country and culture and expecting to change it to what is acceptable in your home country is both delusional and rude.

So yes, by all means, speak out and stay if that is good enough for you.

But if you think you are going to change things here.....

thousands of Christian missionaries who have come here to change Thailand, Thai people, and Thai culture over the past couple of hundred years could tell you,

It's just not going to happen...ever.

I respect Thailand for that.

I love Thailand , even with all of it's warts and pimples.

It will change, everything does, but it will change on it's own, in it's own time.

It will not change because people from other places think it should change and be like "where they come from".

If you can accept that, you should stay and enjoy it for the wonderful place that it is....warts and all.

If not, I can still draw a map.

By your logic we can't get offended by something because we are not from that place? So why are you so offended? Can you not see the irony of being offended by people being offended? If slapping around your maid in this context is funny to some people, what's wrong with pointing out why it's not funny?

I stopped reading after 'Christian missionaries'

Relax a little guys, it's supposed to be a humorous ad.

The professional offense takers in the west are difficult to bear sometimes.

... And this is how violence against women persists in society, with casual disregard such as yours.

In the thai soapseries they also don't hit the lady's real krab but it still is disgusting to see. Vely low class.

It shows the youth that violence against lady's is good and that's a bad example for them.

Tesco is full of low class bad mannered people anyway. Watch them grabbing the raw meat with bare hands and than push the cart without washing......same in Makro by the way which is the new supermarket for them.

So you complain about the low class behaviour on Thai soaps....Then you start complaining about'low class' people in Tesco...Slightly hypocritical don't you think???????