NCPO grants police powers to military

webfact

I'm a fan of Prayuth. I'm not a fan of the BIB. The only time the BIB do their jobs is if they can get paid. A big part of Thailand's problems is the corruption and the police are just not going to do anything about it. Therefore, Prayuth makes this move.

Let's save the condamnation. It's ridiculous. He's trying to clean the cesspool.

"A big part of Thailand's problems is the corruption and the police are just not going to do anything about it. Therefore, Prayuth makes this move."

Agreed about the police force being a big problem. So why doesn't Uncle Too start reforming the police? Have you ever asked yourself that question? If you had then this might have cleared up some misconceptions you apparently have about the motivation of the self styled PM.

"Let's save the condamnation. It's ridiculous."

No, it's not. It's based on tons of previous experience.

"He's trying to clean the cesspool."

You do understand that in order to clean a cesspool cleaning only a small part of it still makes it a cesspool, right? Now, if he threw open the books on all junta members and welcomed scrutiny then THAT would be a first meaningful step towards reform.

Everything else is just window dressing and access to trough assurance.

first: the Thai police is not a small part - it is the major part of corruption

second: they have to start somewhere

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reform that will be in place after a civilian government is in power and the 5 year period passes is that the executive, legislative and judicial branches of government will actually run by the rule of law and not be influenced by power. money or corruption. All people will be treated the same. the rich and powerful will not be able to buy their way out of trouble or buy their way into power. The police will actually be reformed and do their job. A National budget will be approved and the actual budget be spent as allocated without 20-30% skimmed off the top. An educational system that works will be put into place which makes Thailand competitive in the World arena. The economy will improve and the income level of the average Thai will rise so its sons and daughters do not have to go into the entertainment industry to stay alive.

I do not think this will all happen overnight or in 5 years, but I believe that if the reforms that this government wants to make are put into practice- there is long term hope for the country. There is also planning for the expected and unexpected and the military believes it is most suited at this time in history to manage those changes.

As far as economic reform- industry really needs to be encouraged to move into Isan and not into the Current industrial areas of Rayong; Chonburi; and Bangkok-Samut Prakon. The red shirts exist for a reason and part of this reform has to be a reconciliation between the disparate groups. They have been hijacked by the Shin Group for their own selfish purposes but the current Junta plans on breaking that connection. The prior civilian governments couldn't or wouldn't do this. Too much money politics- which will no longer exist as part of the reforms.

I do not think the military government is perfect and without flaws, but its only chance for real change is what is happening now. No elected civilian government will make the changes. let's see if the General can make it happen.

This as been the nineteenth...NINETEENTH! Coup since the first one that implemented democracy way back in 1932. Those military regimes changed NOTHING i the grand scheme of things and the status quo remains very much the same. All the military are doing now in consolidating their power.

Stop drinking that kool aid!

Nineteen coups must also mean nineteen elected governments which were also unable or unwilling to create change?

Does anyone actually believe that a democratically elected government in Thailand will or could actually make all the reforms that need to be made; get rid of corruption; rid the Kingdom of the inequities and influence of wealthy figures and the Mafia and stop elections from being bought? Even in the United States, it is almost impossible to be elected unless one has the backing of the elite; their money and power. The General wants to change all of it through reforms. At least he is trying to do something that no other government has ever done. I do not think the military is incorruptible but I think over time an evolving ethos can be developed in Thailand to make the needed improvements.

One thing the General lacks is an ability to communicate his plans effectively but he does what he says he is going to do and that in itself is more refreshing than a politician who talks sweet; promises everything and gives the people nothing.

"Does anyone actually believe that a democratically elected government in Thailand will or could actually make all the reforms that need to be made; get rid of corruption; rid the Kingdom of the inequities and influence of wealthy figures and the Mafia and stop elections from being bought? "

Maybe, maybe not. But with an elected government running the country they can at least be kicked out in an election. The junta cannot be, no matter what they do.

"The General wants to change all of it through reforms. At least he is trying to do something that no other government has ever done. I do not think the military is incorruptible but I think over time an evolving ethos can be developed in Thailand to make the needed improvements.'

All the generals want is to get back to how it was pre-Thaksin. That's all.

"One thing the General lacks is an ability to communicate his plans effectively but he does what he says he is going to do...."

Oh, you mean like him promising not to instigate a coup, not wanting to become "PM", no single Internet gateway, etc, ect, ect?

Some people have voiced opposition to the new charter. All of a sudden the army gives itself sweeping powers to arrest anyone it wants without warrants. Not rocket science to work out who the army will be paying a visit. It's not going to be any mafia guys.

"Some people have voiced opposition to the new charter. "

True, and note which group / color spoke up very quickly with lots of instant negative but with little substance.

Anybody surprised? Anything convinced the opposition was not ordered from abroad?

So saying one is against the charter (which I believe most people are) should be forbidden? I must say that some of you rabid Thaksin haters are turning into a bunch of <deleted> in your eagerness to justify the increasingly autocratic junta rule.

Something is going on- I have noticed today much more activity by the military than other days. Military trucks filled with young soldiers and pick up trucks also filled moving about. Some of this could be a reaction to the charter committee finishing its work and the new Constitution being promulgated. Some political parties and commentators have come out against the Charter and this maybe a reaction. I would hope that as part of the reason for these sweeping powers is what the General says- the eradication of the Mafia types. However, the post by BaerBoxer does make one think and he is right regarding giving the military police powers does not always end well. Time will tell who is right.

The greatest problem we faced was dealing with the junta. Using unethical methods to stop the unethical seems to be the

folly of less than agile minds. The Thai courts are political tools, not pillars of justice. Until the courts treat everyone the

same, there will be no progress, just fools throwing away their civil liberties.

Edited by yellowboat

I'm a fan of Prayuth. I'm not a fan of the BIB. The only time the BIB do their jobs is if they can get paid. A big part of Thailand's problems is the corruption and the police are just not going to do anything about it. Therefore, Prayuth makes this move.

Let's save the condamnation. It's ridiculous. He's trying to clean the cesspool.

"A big part of Thailand's problems is the corruption and the police are just not going to do anything about it. Therefore, Prayuth makes this move."

Agreed about the police force being a big problem. So why doesn't Uncle Too start reforming the police? Have you ever asked yourself that question? If you had then this might have cleared up some misconceptions you apparently have about the motivation of the self styled PM.

"Let's save the condamnation. It's ridiculous."

No, it's not. It's based on tons of previous experience.

"He's trying to clean the cesspool."

You do understand that in order to clean a cesspool cleaning only a small part of it still makes it a cesspool, right? Now, if he threw open the books on all junta members and welcomed scrutiny then THAT would be a first meaningful step towards reform.

Everything else is just window dressing and access to trough assurance.

first: the Thai police is not a small part - it is the major part of corruption

second: they have to start somewhere

"first: the Thai police is not a small part - it is the major part of corruption"

I never said they were a small part. Here is what I said:

Agreed about the police force being a big problem.

"second: they have to start somewhere"

Indeed, but they have to start at the top, and that means the junta members themselves. They cannot start chucking people in jail for corruption and condemn corrupt practices unless they themselves are clean without that being purely window dressing.

Does anyone actually believe that a democratically elected government in Thailand will or could actually make all the reforms that need to be made; get rid of corruption; rid the Kingdom of the inequities and influence of wealthy figures and the Mafia and stop elections from being bought? Even in the United States, it is almost impossible to be elected unless one has the backing of the elite; their money and power. The General wants to change all of it through reforms. At least he is trying to do something that no other government has ever done. I do not think the military is incorruptible but I think over time an evolving ethos can be developed in Thailand to make the needed improvements.

One thing the General lacks is an ability to communicate his plans effectively but he does what he says he is going to do and that in itself is more refreshing than a politician who talks sweet; promises everything and gives the people nothing.

"Does anyone actually believe that a democratically elected government in Thailand will or could actually make all the reforms that need to be made; get rid of corruption; rid the Kingdom of the inequities and influence of wealthy figures and the Mafia and stop elections from being bought? "

Maybe, maybe not. But with an elected government running the country they can at least be kicked out in an election. The junta cannot be, no matter what they do.

"The General wants to change all of it through reforms. At least he is trying to do something that no other government has ever done. I do not think the military is incorruptible but I think over time an evolving ethos can be developed in Thailand to make the needed improvements.'

"One thing the General lacks is an ability to communicate his plans effectively but he does what he says he is going to do...."

Oh, you mean like him promising not to instigate a coup, not wanting to become "PM", no single Internet gateway, etc, ect, ect?

"...Maybe, maybe not. But with an elected government running the country they can at least be kicked out in an election..."

Not realistic given recent history.

"...Maybe, maybe not. But with an elected government running the country they can at least be kicked out in an election..."

Not realistic given recent history.

True. With a military supporting/being part of an old, entrenched elite there is a bigger chance of a coup than a reelection if the people vote for the wrong party.

Edited by MZurf

Nothing to do with supplementing/assisting the police in fighting organized crime, everything to do with further consolidating the grip on power.

And @ "Pedro 01", it began with the coup. Just because it hasn't impacted your lifestyle doesn't mean that it isn't happening, nor does it mean that it isn't affecting the Thais.

Still, you've got your chill pills - possibly the most naive and foolish response - as well as being staggeringly contemptuous of the people amongst whom you live.

Aaaaah "The Thais".

Well - my wife is Thai, my kids are Thai, my employees are Thai, my Maid is Thai, I have lots of Thai relatives.

None of these people have been negatively impacted by the coup. I know that because we are allowed to discuss it openly without fear. And so we do.

The only observable impact is that we no longer have to worry about street protests. Having been caught in Silom when shooting started and having the army come and grab me to get me to shelter, I am happy for that.

I've discussed this with many of the Thais I know, with very few exceptions (the girl that cuts my hair), people feel much safer now but there is a general sentiment of disappointment about the lack of action since the coup.

So you can comment I an naive, foolish and contemptuous if you like. Carry on saying it's like Nazi German here, that there are no freedoms ya de ya de ya. What I am is informed. You guys banging the "fear" and "nazi" drum are out of touch with reality.

Life hasn't changed here.

I don't agree, life has changed a LOT since the army is in power. BKK is safe again, no more shootings/bombings/occupying roads.

We get much more public transport, the 300 firetrucks will come to the city, police never stopped me again for a bribe only.....All much better! And i don't care what those countryboys think, they never come to BKK.

Corruption is being dealt with, although it goes slow.

The drought is because of the ricebying program which used too much water or the dams would be full still.

"...rooting out underworld influences and unduly influential people in the economy and society."

This is exactly what most people have been demanding for decades.

Using soldiers to arrest heavily-armed underworld groups and crime-bosses, is just basic common sense, because many serious gangsters have the kind of firepower that would put the lives of normal policemen and policewomen in danger.

So I will wait and see, I hope that they do break up underworld gangs, and apprehend the crime bosses.

I know I will be barbecued for writing this.

The other alternative, and in my opinion the correct one, would be to improve the police force and other investigation depts. Danger is what one should expect if signing to be a policeman anywhere and hardened gangsters don't just operate in Thailand. This move, imo, is just an excuse by the junta to have more power over the people. What's the next one, dismantling the judicial system and have all army tribunals?

although your idea is a sound one there is a major problem, what you are suggesting takes time - a very long time, probably talking 10+ years to even make a dent, the other problem is that soon we will have an elected government back in place and any ideas of wiping out corruption and the pursuit of reforms will be very quickly forgotten, greed and thieving will take over and the cycle will begin again [/quote)

My sentiment exactly. You can't clean up a rats nest with bigger rats it just makes them all the more defiant breeding even more contempt. Once the new government comes into play all this wasted effort will be regulated to the back-burner. This is Thailand and corruption can't be stamped out on a wing and a prayer.

A leader should always be open to criticism, not silencing dissent. Any leader who does not tolerate criticism from the public is afraid of their dirty hands to be revealed under scrutiny. Let's be honest, such a leader is dangerous, because they only feel secure in the darkness.

Only a leader who is free from corruption welcomes scrutiny; for scrutiny allows a good leader to be an even greater leader.

Is this the Georgia route? Will we see the useless police force completely disbanded as soon as the military feels comfortable in its new role?

Shutting down the police force farce will have zero negative effect on the daily running of Thailand. Every position in the police farce should then be deemed vacant and positions opened for applications to refill the vacancies, employment to be based on merit, education, and backed by references from normal Thai citizens, not bought positions, or mates of mates or special hand-shakes.

That is actually one possible good that might be able to come from this power grab that I hadn't considered.

With the RTA doing the job of the RTP, it would be a great time to do a complete top-to-bottom restructure of the RTP, decentralising its command structure, and transferring its reporting to the Ministry of Justice, recruiting overseas advisors/trainers, imposing strict ethical guidelines, sacking every single one of the tens of thousands of criminals currently sitting in inactive posts, thinning out the bloated top echelons, and providing a living wage to officers.

Of course, a properly functioning police force is just the start; a fair and impartial Judiciary, an effective democratically elected government, reforming the military and making it accountable to the democratically elected government, removing military personnel from all government positions and board/management positions in all state enterprises, and establishing government-appointed independent oversight bodies for both the military and RTP, and make their budgets transparent would pretty much be the end-goal. I can't see Prayuth even contemplating any of that.

Hooray! You learned a lot today didn't ya? Who put the army in charge, what the consequences are by giving them police-power. Finally you see the light mate! thumbsup.gif

It can't get worse then it was so every improvement is one.

"...rooting out underworld influences and unduly “influential people” in the economy and society."

Using soldiers to arrest heavily-armed underworld groups and crime-bosses, is just basic common sense, because many serious gangsters have the kind of firepower that would put the lives of normal policemen and policewomen in danger.

So I will wait and see, I hope that they do break up underworld gangs, and apprehend the crime bosses.

The other alternative, and in my opinion the correct one, would be to improve the police force and other investigation depts. Danger is what one should expect if signing to be a policeman anywhere and hardened gangsters don't just operate in Thailand. This move, imo, is just an excuse by the junta to have more power over the people. What's the next one, dismantling the judicial system and have all army tribunals?

Yes, using military courts is the next step. When people are arrested without warrants and based on nothing but the granted power of arrest, than the only choice for prosecution is a court with fewer protections for the defendant. Military courts should do fine.

And some people will see nothing wrong with this. Sigh.

And the existing judicial system is transparent without corruption?

Nope. I never said that, did I?

However, the existing courts are significantly better than the military courts.

I think there are a few people here that don't realise just how deep this problem is in Thailand or they are part of it, either way there is a criminal corrupt organised devisive element in this country and it is getting worse, if the current administration feel the need to invoke special powers to deal with it then they get no argument from me, it happens everywhere in the world when a problem gets so serious, USA UK do it and watch what is going to happen in the EU over the next 12 months, just a few days ago 4 governors were removed from office, slowly but surely these people are being routed out and cleansed from Thai society for good - I hope it continues

So the solution to the problem is wider, more sweeping, unchecked power for the problem....

The inability of some here to grasp the various levels of the rotten pyramid and who occupies them remains staggering. :)

Is this the Georgia route? Will we see the useless police force completely disbanded as soon as the military feels comfortable in its new role?

Shutting down the police force farce will have zero negative effect on the daily running of Thailand. Every position in the police farce should then be deemed vacant and positions opened for applications to refill the vacancies, employment to be based on merit, education, and backed by references from normal Thai citizens, not bought positions, or mates of mates or special hand-shakes.

That is actually one possible good that might be able to come from this power grab that I hadn't considered.

With the RTA doing the job of the RTP, it would be a great time to do a complete top-to-bottom restructure of the RTP, decentralising its command structure, and transferring its reporting to the Ministry of Justice, recruiting overseas advisors/trainers, imposing strict ethical guidelines, sacking every single one of the tens of thousands of criminals currently sitting in inactive posts, thinning out the bloated top echelons, and providing a living wage to officers.

Of course, a properly functioning police force is just the start; a fair and impartial Judiciary, an effective democratically elected government, reforming the military and making it accountable to the democratically elected government, removing military personnel from all government positions and board/management positions in all state enterprises, and establishing government-appointed independent oversight bodies for both the military and RTP, and make their budgets transparent would pretty much be the end-goal. I can't see Prayuth even contemplating any of that.

Hooray! You learned a lot today didn't ya? Who put the army in charge, what the consequences are by giving them police-power. Finally you see the light mate! thumbsup.gif

It's worse in 2016 by almost any measure than it was in 2014.

So I'm struggling to grasp your point. Although I'm sure you'll post some nonsense masquerading as said point.

Nothing to do with supplementing/assisting the police in fighting organized crime, everything to do with further consolidating the grip on power.

And @ "Pedro 01", it began with the coup. Just because it hasn't impacted your lifestyle doesn't mean that it isn't happening, nor does it mean that it isn't affecting the Thais.

Still, you've got your chill pills - possibly the most naive and foolish response - as well as being staggeringly contemptuous of the people amongst whom you live.

Aaaaah "The Thais".

Well - my wife is Thai, my kids are Thai, my employees are Thai, my Maid is Thai, I have lots of Thai relatives.

None of these people have been negatively impacted by the coup. I know that because we are allowed to discuss it openly without fear. And so we do.

The only observable impact is that we no longer have to worry about street protests. Having been caught in Silom when shooting started and having the army come and grab me to get me to shelter, I am happy for that.

I've discussed this with many of the Thais I know, with very few exceptions (the girl that cuts my hair), people feel much safer now but there is a general sentiment of disappointment about the lack of action since the coup.

So you can comment I an naive, foolish and contemptuous if you like. Carry on saying it's like Nazi German here, that there are no freedoms ya de ya de ya. What I am is informed. You guys banging the "fear" and "nazi" drum are out of touch with reality.

I don't agree, life has changed a LOT since the army is in power. BKK is safe again, no more shootings/bombings/occupying roads.

We get much more public transport, the 300 firetrucks will come to the city, police never stopped me again for a bribe only.....All much better! And i don't care what those countryboys think, they never come to BKK.

The drought is because of the ricebying program which used too much water or the dams would be full still.

That is a unique theory. I want to learn more about a government policy that creates drought.

Aaaaah "The Thais".

I stayed in Lad Prao soi 12-14 and life went on as usual during the Bkk Shutdown. It was safe except for 3-4 hotspots which you keep clear out of common sense. Rest of the country, very safe and tourists still come in numbers.

My company drivers are still paying bribes to the police. Heard of El Niño?

The Police also work nationwide. I know one policeman who regularly works at the other side of the country, for a week or months in row.

My point, which you deftly side-stepped, was that army units from another region, would most likely not be known to the crooks who have a corrupt stranglehold in a different region. Local police in that region would be very much on display, troops from another region would not. Was my point.

Allright i 'll write it in baby-language, hopefully you understand it then.

My policefriend from Bangkok is member of a special team which works in Phuket, Chaing mai, Pattaya to arrest the bad boys there. After that they come back to BKK for a while and get a new mission.

Now you figure out why they work that way......

Just running with your example for a bit.

A primary stated objective of the Junta is "reform".

Most people recognize there are long term, serious problems with the RTP. Corruption is regarded as undermining the rule of law. Therefor, reform of the RTP is an obvious target.

The RTP as presently organized does not seem to encourage policing of the police. One way to address this is to split the police into national and regional forces, separately administered (not under the same umbrella). The national force would have certain responsibilities for major crimes, and a specialized unit of the national police would focus on arresting and prosecuting corrupt police. At the Regional level, the police would focus on the bulk of crimes; however, the law would permit them to investigate and prosecute crimes committed by any member of the National police force.

Now, this is just the germ of an idea about how to reform the RTP. Obviously, much more would be required. But the Junta has had almost 2 years to identify and implement systemic types of reforms like this, and have utterly failed to do so.

The obvious question is, why has the Junta largely avoided systemic reforms (of the police, courts, army, etc.)?

I think the most likely answer is that the Junta enjoys a wide range of privileges from the system as it stands, and their focus is on retaining power, and tuning the system for their ongoing benefit. Part of that tuning is to usurp the power of constitutional authorities such as the police, to abrogate the rights of citizens, and to take action against those people that would criticize or oppose them.

Making up fairy tales about the goodness of the army and their powerful friends is not necessary to understand them.

Excellent post. Some might argue that "supply chain management" is the Thai word for "reform".

while I am a bit skeptical of all the possibilities of this move if they actually are doing it due to the links between the police and the crooks/mafia/criminal activities that are the cause of much of the corruption here it will be good, The way the police always advertise what they are going to do or somehow the ones being raided get a warning before it happens(especially when the police are part of the ownership) and the way evidence goes missing etc it maybe a good idea as long as it isnt used for political purposes but only as a way of getting at the real crims running the show. The way it stands now there are a lot of police involved in very suspect actions, if they can be caught out and not "warned" of what is happening it would be good, just look at how many gambling dens have been done since the army became involved so that the police couldnt do the usual thing. Lets see what happens over the next few months, if they actually start to get the top dogs and not use this for other reasons it just may work but I will reserve my decision till I can see what they are going to do.

Some people have voiced opposition to the new charter. All of a sudden the army gives itself sweeping powers to arrest anyone it wants without warrants. Not rocket science to work out who the army will be paying a visit. It's not going to be any mafia guys.

"Some people have voiced opposition to the new charter. "

True, and note which group / color spoke up very quickly with lots of instant negative but with little substance.

Anybody surprised? Anything convinced the opposition was not ordered from abroad?

So you are against freedom of speech then.

From the UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING IN THAILAND NEWS:

Any discussion of the Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Monarchy.

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed. Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.
Posters violating these rules and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

The reform that will be in place after a civilian government is in power and the 5 year period passes is that the executive, legislative and judicial branches of government will actually run by the rule of law and not be influenced by power. money or corruption. All people will be treated the same. the rich and powerful will not be able to buy their way out of trouble or buy their way into power. The police will actually be reformed and do their job. A National budget will be approved and the actual budget be spent as allocated without 20-30% skimmed off the top. An educational system that works will be put into place which makes Thailand competitive in the World arena. The economy will improve and the income level of the average Thai will rise so its sons and daughters do not have to go into the entertainment industry to stay alive.

I do not think this will all happen overnight or in 5 years, but I believe that if the reforms that this government wants to make are put into practice- there is long term hope for the country. There is also planning for the expected and unexpected and the military believes it is most suited at this time in history to manage those changes.

As far as economic reform- industry really needs to be encouraged to move into Isan and not into the Current industrial areas of Rayong; Chonburi; and Bangkok-Samut Prakon. The red shirts exist for a reason and part of this reform has to be a reconciliation between the disparate groups. They have been hijacked by the Shin Group for their own selfish purposes but the current Junta plans on breaking that connection. The prior civilian governments couldn't or wouldn't do this. Too much money politics- which will no longer exist as part of the reforms.

I do not think the military government is perfect and without flaws, but its only chance for real change is what is happening now. No elected civilian government will make the changes. let's see if the General can make it happen.

This as been the nineteenth...NINETEENTH! Coup since the first one that implemented democracy way back in 1932. Those military regimes changed NOTHING i the grand scheme of things and the status quo remains very much the same. All the military are doing now in consolidating their power.

Nineteen coups must also mean nineteen elected governments which were also unable or unwilling to create change?

How about the military constantly interfering then? Wouldn't Yingluck's term of been finished this year? She could well of been well on her way out of office and the Dems or hell maybe even another party could of had a crack of the whip.

I am not even truly a fan of the party system in my own or most western countries (in the USA it could be between Killary Clinton and Donald $%^&head Trump for Christ's sake) but military rule is going even further back into the dark ages. Democracy has had some degree of success in places like South Korea, Taiwan and Japan (after some growing pains). Here the traditional elite forever war with each other or grab power through the military. It is like something from the medieval times!

Edited by mrrizzla

How about the military constantly interfering then? Wouldn't Yingluck's term of been finished this year? She could well of been well on her way out of office and the Dems or hell maybe even another party could of had a crack of the whip.

I am not even truly a fan of the party system in my own or most western countries (in the USA it could be between Killary Clinton and Donald $%^&head Trump for Christ's sake) but military rule is going even further back into the dark ages. Democracy has had some degree of success in places like South Korea, Taiwan and Japan (after some growing pains). Here the traditional elite forever war with each other or grab power through the military. It is like something from the medieval times!

Perhaps this is partly due to the apathy of the citizenship. Or, if not apathy, an unquestioning acceptance of a class system where the ruling elite dictate what the norms will be. I grew up with a different way of thinking, and do not pretend to think I know the answer. But history has demonstrated that western style democracy does not seem to work in Asia, the Middle East, or Africa. So, it may be best to allow other cultures to adapt to whatever form of government works for them. At present, the entire world is experiencing economic slow down. But during growth periods, some of these countries do quite well. Yes, there are less freedoms. But there are a lot less freedoms in Singapore also, yet most consider it a successful country.

You missed the part where I bookended every improvement with "might" and "I can't see Prayuth even contemplating any of that."

"...rooting out underworld influences and unduly “influential people” in the economy and society."

That's crap. The military had the power all along. Go and read the "law" under which the military rules Thailand.

To be blunt, I find your comment offensive because it is intentionally misleading.

Remember that army general who was implicated in the human trafficking scandal of a year ago? What happened to him?

He was subject to military law and under the command of the military wasn't he?

When you can come back and tell everyone in this forum that the general was subject to a transparent judicial process, you will have a substantiated position.

And what of the officials implicated in the land encroachments and the corruption of Phuket? The military has the power right now to wipe them out. It has not, has it?

I believe the comments that this is all about stifling dissent and pushing through the new constitution are more credible.

Edited by geriatrickid

Perhaps this is partly due to the apathy of the citizenship. Or, if not apathy, an unquestioning acceptance of a class system where the ruling elite dictate what the norms will be. I grew up with a different way of thinking, and do not pretend to think I know the answer. But history has demonstrated that western style democracy does not seem to work in Asia, the Middle East, or Africa. So, it may be best to allow other cultures to adapt to whatever form of government works for them. At present, the entire world is experiencing economic slow down. But during growth periods, some of these countries do quite well. Yes, there are less freedoms. But there are a lot less freedoms in Singapore also, yet most consider it a successful country.

What about Japan, South Korea and Taiwan? It has certainly worked to a huge degree in those nations in Asia. Taiwan and Hong Kong fiercely protect it from mainland influence.

I know many Thais of this generation unhappy with the status quo.