NCPO grants police powers to military

webfact

It has been estimated that as many as a 3rd of prisoners in Thailand are actually innocent. That is with all the checks and balances that police must go through. 1st they must pass their boss scrutiny. 2nd they must pass a prosecutor scrutiny. 3rd they must pass the scrutiny of a defense lawyer and a judge.

These soldiers do not have to follow any of the regulation of the procedure code. They can stop a foreigner in the street, accuse him of some petty crime, and arrest him on the spot. No warrant, no prosecutor, no lawyer rights, no judge. He can be detained for as long as the soldier sees fit and has no right to contact a member of his family or a lawyer. I am sure 95 percent of soldiers and superiors will use these powers appropriately, but pity to the person that cop it from the 5 percent that will abuse it. I wonder how many old people and university students will be victims to this law.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard Thai Visa responses out in force I see.

We've had Hitler mentioned and comments about how scary it is getting but we are still missing a "so it begins".

I think it's a bit early for you all to start wetting your panties over this.

How long have you guys been predicting the end of freedom here?

Has life changed fundamentally since the coup? Nope. Are you able to still comment about the government here? Absolutely yes

Take a chill pill.

Boiling frogs, and all that stuff.

I think there are a few people here that don't realise just how deep this problem is in Thailand or they are part of it, either way there is a criminal corrupt organised devisive element in this country and it is getting worse, if the current administration feel the need to invoke special powers to deal with it then they get no argument from me, it happens everywhere in the world when a problem gets so serious, USA UK do it and watch what is going to happen in the EU over the next 12 months, just a few days ago 4 governors were removed from office, slowly but surely these people are being routed out and cleansed from Thai society for good - I hope it continues

I agree with you that the 'problem' in LOS is deeper than most people realise, but for different reasons. You mention special powers (military?) being invoked in the UK and USA. If you are talking about such powers being used to solve deep rooted political problems I ask you to quote reasons, dates etc. to support your 'everywhere in the world' statement. I also saw that 4 provincial governors were moved from their offices into the PM's office, but didn't read anything suggesting they had been moved for being involved in corruption, or for being overly influential. Maybe I've missed some news which fully explains their 'transfer', for something other than political beliefs?

Also, anyone who thinks Thailand needs such 'bloated' numbers of military personnel and police should ask themselves why is it that the UK (70 million citizens) can live in relative internal peace and still be capable of fulfilling it's NATO & UN responsibilities with military and police forces about half the size of those here? IMHO Thailand's military and police forces aren't for the protection of ALL of it's citizens.

Finally, this coup was justified on the grounds for urgently needed reforms and reconciliation. I ask, where are they?

It has been estimated that as many as a 3rd of prisoners in Thailand are actually innocent. That is with all the checks and balances that police must go through. 1st they must pass their boss scrutiny. 2nd they must pass a prosecutor scrutiny. 3rd they must pass the scrutiny of a defense lawyer and a judge.

These soldiers do not have to follow any of the regulation of the procedure code. They can stop a foreigner in the street, accuse him of some petty crime, and arrest him on the spot. No warrant, no prosecutor, no lawyer rights, no judge. He can be detained for as long as the soldier sees fit and has no right to contact a member of his family or a lawyer. I am sure 95 percent of soldiers and superiors will use these powers appropriately, but pity to the person that cop it from the 5 percent that will abuse it. I wonder how many old people and university students will be victims to this law.

"It has been estimated that as many as a 3rd of prisoners in Thailand are actually innocent. That is with all the checks and balances that police must go through. 1st they must pass their boss scrutiny. 2nd they must pass a prosecutor scrutiny. 3rd they must pass the scrutiny of a defense lawyer and a judge."

So maybe with others involved in the process it might well change for the better. Who knows? You don't know and I do't know but you use anything you can lay your hands on create negative.

Your as obvious as your ilk on these threads.

Nothing to do with supplementing/assisting the police in fighting organized crime, everything to do with further consolidating the grip on power.

And @ "Pedro 01", it began with the coup. Just because it hasn't impacted your lifestyle doesn't mean that it isn't happening, nor does it mean that it isn't affecting the Thais.

Still, you've got your chill pills - possibly the most naive and foolish response - as well as being staggeringly contemptuous of the people amongst whom you live.

Aaaaah "The Thais".

Well - my wife is Thai, my kids are Thai, my employees are Thai, my Maid is Thai, I have lots of Thai relatives.

None of these people have been negatively impacted by the coup. I know that because we are allowed to discuss it openly without fear. And so we do.

The only observable impact is that we no longer have to worry about street protests. Having been caught in Silom when shooting started and having the army come and grab me to get me to shelter, I am happy for that.

I've discussed this with many of the Thais I know, with very few exceptions (the girl that cuts my hair), people feel much safer now but there is a general sentiment of disappointment about the lack of action since the coup.

So you can comment I an naive, foolish and contemptuous if you like. Carry on saying it's like Nazi German here, that there are no freedoms ya de ya de ya. What I am is informed. You guys banging the "fear" and "nazi" drum are out of touch with reality.

Life hasn't changed here.

I don't agree, life has changed a LOT since the army is in power. BKK is safe again, no more shootings/bombings/occupying roads.

We get much more public transport, the 300 firetrucks will come to the city, police never stopped me again for a bribe only.....All much better! And i don't care what those countryboys think, they never come to BKK.

Corruption is being dealt with, although it goes slow.

The drought is because of the ricebying program which used too much water or the dams would be full still.

That is a unique theory. I want to learn more about a government policy that creates drought.

Then ask your dog what it takes to grow 3 crops or rice in a year. Where did that all come from or wasn't there a dry season during the ricebuying program?

Nothing to do with supplementing/assisting the police in fighting organized crime, everything to do with further consolidating the grip on power.

And @ "Pedro 01", it began with the coup. Just because it hasn't impacted your lifestyle doesn't mean that it isn't happening, nor does it mean that it isn't affecting the Thais.

Still, you've got your chill pills - possibly the most naive and foolish response - as well as being staggeringly contemptuous of the people amongst whom you live.

Aaaaah "The Thais".

Well - my wife is Thai, my kids are Thai, my employees are Thai, my Maid is Thai, I have lots of Thai relatives.

None of these people have been negatively impacted by the coup. I know that because we are allowed to discuss it openly without fear. And so we do.

The only observable impact is that we no longer have to worry about street protests. Having been caught in Silom when shooting started and having the army come and grab me to get me to shelter, I am happy for that.

I've discussed this with many of the Thais I know, with very few exceptions (the girl that cuts my hair), people feel much safer now but there is a general sentiment of disappointment about the lack of action since the coup.

So you can comment I an naive, foolish and contemptuous if you like. Carry on saying it's like Nazi German here, that there are no freedoms ya de ya de ya. What I am is informed. You guys banging the "fear" and "nazi" drum are out of touch with reality.

I don't agree, life has changed a LOT since the army is in power. BKK is safe again, no more shootings/bombings/occupying roads.

We get much more public transport, the 300 firetrucks will come to the city, police never stopped me again for a bribe only.....All much better! And i don't care what those countryboys think, they never come to BKK.

The drought is because of the ricebying program which used too much water or the dams would be full still.

I stayed in Lad Prao soi 12-14 and life went on as usual during the Bkk Shutdown. It was safe except for 3-4 hotspots which you keep clear out of common sense. Rest of the country, very safe and tourists still come in numbers.

My company drivers are still paying bribes to the police. Heard of El Niño?

Why do they pay bribes to the police? If you don't do anything wrong they won't fine you. (since the army is in charge).

And you think it's fine if huge groups of people protest every day and bomb/shoot eachother as long as it's not in your soi lad prao? They even block mainroads for many months in row but as long as it's not in lad prao it's all great? And it was getting worse by the day, remember when the Central World was put on fire or the airport occupied? Great that they didn't wait for that to happen again!

Also i don't care about tourists still coming or not, it's about people who live in BKK and want to be safe in their daily live.

It was getting worse by the day, we had the black dressed men here carrying machineguns and use them during protests, people hitting monks, bombing crowds it almost was an internal warzone. But of course you didn't see that in lad prao so who cares?

Why do they pay bribes to the police? If you don't do anything wrong they won't fine you. (since the army is in charge).

And you think it's fine if huge groups of people protest every day and bomb/shoot eachother as long as it's not in your soi lad prao? They even block mainroads for many months in row but as long as it's not in lad prao it's all great? And it was getting worse by the day, remember when the Central World was put on fire or the airport occupied? Great that they didn't wait for that to happen again!

Also i don't care about tourists still coming or not, it's about people who live in BKK and want to be safe in their daily live.

It was getting worse by the day, we had the black dressed men here carrying machineguns and use them during protests, people hitting monks, bombing crowds it almost was an internal warzone. But of course you didn't see that in lad prao so who cares?

I lived in Victory Monument during the protests of 2013/4. You make it sound like it Syria.

Yes there were lots of <deleted> up things going on. But you know that the military was backing the PDRC right? They were complicit in all of the things you said they have stopped. Well yes, that is what they been planning since 2011. And Suthep himself admitted as much.

The reform that will be in place after a civilian government is in power and the 5 year period passes is that the executive, legislative and judicial branches of government will actually run by the rule of law and not be influenced by power. money or corruption. All people will be treated the same. the rich and powerful will not be able to buy their way out of trouble or buy their way into power. The police will actually be reformed and do their job. A National budget will be approved and the actual budget be spent as allocated without 20-30% skimmed off the top. An educational system that works will be put into place which makes Thailand competitive in the World arena. The economy will improve and the income level of the average Thai will rise so its sons and daughters do not have to go into the entertainment industry to stay alive.

I do not think this will all happen overnight or in 5 years, but I believe that if the reforms that this government wants to make are put into practice- there is long term hope for the country. There is also planning for the expected and unexpected and the military believes it is most suited at this time in history to manage those changes.

As far as economic reform- industry really needs to be encouraged to move into Isan and not into the Current industrial areas of Rayong; Chonburi; and Bangkok-Samut Prakon. The red shirts exist for a reason and part of this reform has to be a reconciliation between the disparate groups. They have been hijacked by the Shin Group for their own selfish purposes but the current Junta plans on breaking that connection. The prior civilian governments couldn't or wouldn't do this. Too much money politics- which will no longer exist as part of the reforms.

I do not think the military government is perfect and without flaws, but its only chance for real change is what is happening now. No elected civilian government will make the changes. let's see if the General can make it happen.

This as been the nineteenth...NINETEENTH! Coup since the first one that implemented democracy way back in 1932. Those military regimes changed NOTHING i the grand scheme of things and the status quo remains very much the same. All the military are doing now in consolidating their power.

Stop drinking that kool aid!

Nineteen coups must also mean nineteen elected governments which were also unable or unwilling to create change?

Or where "couped" because they were proposing/attempting change?

Police using their authority to obtain "tea-money" did not seem so personally threatening...

Military combat troops...untrained in civilian interaction...shaking down the population...is a scary thought...

I can hardly wait until the police and military clash over who is going to set up a "tea-money" check point to fleece the public...

Corruption takes another turn...

Thailand marches forward...

That is a unique theory. I want to learn more about a government policy that creates drought.

Then ask your dog what it takes to grow 3 crops or rice in a year. Where did that all come from or wasn't there a dry season during the ricebuying program?

A few facts for your consideration:

- a drought is a climatic condition characterized by low rainfall. It has been reported (today, in TVF) that Thailand is in its worst drought in 20 years. A drought is not caused by government subsidies or farmers.

- Yes, agricultural water use can be a significant issue in a drought; as is water management for capture, storage and conveyance. Good water management can ameliorate the effects of a drought

- The practice of planting multiple rice crops obviously increases water usage. In Thailand, the size of the "Minor Crop", which is the 2nd rice crop each year, has been declining for the past 4 years. In 2015, the minor crop, which was a common practice long before the Thaksin era, was the lowest it has been in 25 years. This occurred because irrigation water supplies were restricted.

I seem to recall this EXACT SAME THING happening in Europe about 75 years ago when Hitler gave all his SS commandos police powers.

That worked out great didn't it?

Last week the .PM was on TV around 9:00 pm. He said something along the lines, that children who see their parents doing something wrong or damages the countries image, should tell to stop doing it. English subtitles. I thought at the time is this how it started in 1930s Germany? What next encourage the children to report their parents?

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

No, I have just watched the Friday 25th March speech and he did not say that.

The huge mistake some naive posters seem to be making is that the agency carrying out this "clean" is one of the worst for the behavior that they claim they are exorcising.

Do people not look at Thai history from the past century or so and fail to realize that is the same show with different characters?

No they don't. They look at the Shinawatra family. That's it.

Thai history ...

Thailand has do deal with the present and not with history (which is gone and past)

But the last mentioned is the actual present danger - and very real

Edited by sweatalot

Does anyone actually believe that a democratically elected government in Thailand will or could actually make all the reforms that need to be made; get rid of corruption; rid the Kingdom of the inequities and influence of wealthy figures and the Mafia and stop elections from being bought? Even in the United States, it is almost impossible to be elected unless one has the backing of the elite; their money and power. The General wants to change all of it through reforms. At least he is trying to do something that no other government has ever done. I do not think the military is incorruptible but I think over time an evolving ethos can be developed in Thailand to make the needed improvements.

One thing the General lacks is an ability to communicate his plans effectively but he does what he says he is going to do and that in itself is more refreshing than a politician who talks sweet; promises everything and gives the people nothing.

"Does anyone actually believe that a democratically elected government in Thailand will or could actually make all the reforms that need to be made; get rid of corruption; rid the Kingdom of the inequities and influence of wealthy figures and the Mafia and stop elections from being bought? "

Maybe, maybe not. But with an elected government running the country they can at least be kicked out in an election. The junta cannot be, no matter what they do.

"The General wants to change all of it through reforms. At least he is trying to do something that no other government has ever done. I do not think the military is incorruptible but I think over time an evolving ethos can be developed in Thailand to make the needed improvements.'

All the generals want is to get back to how it was pre-Thaksin. That's all.

"One thing the General lacks is an ability to communicate his plans effectively but he does what he says he is going to do...."

Oh, you mean like him promising not to instigate a coup, not wanting to become "PM", no single Internet gateway, etc, ect, ect?

"All the generals want is to get back to how it was pre-Thaksin. That's all...."

Is that a statement of fact or a slanted opportunist 'opinion'?

Aaaaah "The Thais".

I stayed in Lad Prao soi 12-14 and life went on as usual during the Bkk Shutdown. It was safe except for 3-4 hotspots which you keep clear out of common sense. Rest of the country, very safe and tourists still come in numbers.

My company drivers are still paying bribes to the police. Heard of El Niño?

News flash, I go to work every day and passed Government House where the mad monk had his fortress and get home passed the Lad Prao PDRC junction and home safely. They even have guards to control the traffic. What internal war zone. The military check points were decorated with flowers and the soldiers looks very relax. They could have done a better job protecting the PDRC sites. But no, maybe on purpose.

actually, the General is doing exactly what he said he would do when he took power. He gave the police a chance to do their job. Now, since they are unable or unwilling to crack the huge mafia influence that permeates all of Thailand- he has ordered the Army to do it. While from a Western perspective this seems terrifying because of so many differences from our traditional interaction with government and police; it is not shocking to the Thai public. The average Thai or average Expat in Thailand will not be affected at all. Those Thai and Foreign mafia will be affected because life for them just got real complicated. If this was happening in any Western country- I would be shocked, but it is happening in Thailand which has operated for too long allowing the police to ignore those cases that it does not want to pursue and in effect allow influence; money; and corruption to run amok. If the military can break this power it will have done a great service to the average Thai person.

Expats have complained for years on this board about the very things that the General wants to correct and now when he moves- people are still complaining. Some say use Article 44 to reform the police. As one poster rightfully posts-it would take more than 10 years. It is also interesting to note that the new Constitution places a 5 year 'watch period' on the civilian government once in place so they cannot turn back the reforms. As someone who has been here a long time and seen many civilian and military governments- this current government is actually doing what it said it would do- reform .. If this reform works and powerful influence and corruption can be neutralized, the average person will have a future and the country will prosper. No one is going to come knocking on your door; awaken you in the middle of the night; and lock you in a Guantanamo like prison. Everyone knows who the Thai mafia is and everyone knows who the Foreign Mafia is that controls the entertainment industry in Bangkok; Pattaya and Phuket. They will get the knock on the door. Relax and sleep tight.

A simple question: what is the "reform" that you believe has been implemented?

As best I can tell, you believe that granting the Army the power to arrest people without warrants is a reform because it will result in the arrest of criminals. Does that mean the military should be given this power permanently? If not, than what is the reform action you believe has been implemented that will be in place after the military gives up this police power?

Thaidream:

As "someone who has been here a long time", it is amazing that you are still naïve enough to actually think that the intent behind any actions in this country are even remotely associated with the announced reason.

This is a power grab, plain and simple, and nothing to do with actually reforming the country. It will be used to eliminate political enemies, and ensure that their cut is now flowing in the "right" direction to the "good" people.

"this current government is actually doing what it said it would do- reform" - I'm not even quite sure where to start with this one. Maybe you are living in an alternate universe????

As foreigners there is to much idle chatter going on about things that don't concern you.......but don't forget your toiletry bag and a change of underwear if the army come a knocking!

Does anyone actually believe that a democratically elected government in Thailand will or could actually make all the reforms that need to be made; get rid of corruption; rid the Kingdom of the inequities and influence of wealthy figures and the Mafia and stop elections from being bought? Even in the United States, it is almost impossible to be elected unless one has the backing of the elite; their money and power. The General wants to change all of it through reforms. At least he is trying to do something that no other government has ever done. I do not think the military is incorruptible but I think over time an evolving ethos can be developed in Thailand to make the needed improvements.

One thing the General lacks is an ability to communicate his plans effectively but he does what he says he is going to do and that in itself is more refreshing than a politician who talks sweet; promises everything and gives the people nothing.

"Does anyone actually believe that a democratically elected government in Thailand will or could actually make all the reforms that need to be made; get rid of corruption; rid the Kingdom of the inequities and influence of wealthy figures and the Mafia and stop elections from being bought? "

Maybe, maybe not. But with an elected government running the country they can at least be kicked out in an election. The junta cannot be, no matter what they do.

"The General wants to change all of it through reforms. At least he is trying to do something that no other government has ever done. I do not think the military is incorruptible but I think over time an evolving ethos can be developed in Thailand to make the needed improvements.'

All the generals want is to get back to how it was pre-Thaksin. That's all.

"One thing the General lacks is an ability to communicate his plans effectively but he does what he says he is going to do...."

Oh, you mean like him promising not to instigate a coup, not wanting to become "PM", no single Internet gateway, etc, ect, ect?

"All the generals want is to get back to how it was pre-Thaksin. That's all...."

Is that a statement of fact or a slanted opportunist 'opinion'?

Huh?? How can stating the obvious be "a slanted opportunist 'opinion'?"

You're making less sense than ever. Off to bed with you!

I'm a fan of Prayuth. I'm not a fan of the BIB. The only time the BIB do their jobs is if they can get paid. A big part of Thailand's problems is the corruption and the police are just not going to do anything about it. Therefore, Prayuth makes this move.

Let's save the condamnation. It's ridiculous. He's trying to clean the cesspool.

"A big part of Thailand's problems is the corruption and the police are just not going to do anything about it. Therefore, Prayuth makes this move."

Agreed about the police force being a big problem. So why doesn't Uncle Too start reforming the police? Have you ever asked yourself that question? If you had then this might have cleared up some misconceptions you apparently have about the motivation of the self styled PM.

"Let's save the condamnation. It's ridiculous."

No, it's not. It's based on tons of previous experience.

"He's trying to clean the cesspool."

You do understand that in order to clean a cesspool cleaning only a small part of it still makes it a cesspool, right? Now, if he threw open the books on all junta members and welcomed scrutiny then THAT would be a first meaningful step towards reform.

Everything else is just window dressing and access to trough assurance.

first: the Thai police is not a small part - it is the major part of corruption

second: they have to start somewhereIf it is corruption they are trying to clean up the military should extend their investigations into the education system.

"...rooting out underworld influences and unduly “influential people” in the economy and society."

This is exactly what most people have been demanding for decades.

Using soldiers to arrest heavily-armed underworld groups and crime-bosses, is just basic common sense, because many serious gangsters have the kind of firepower that would put the lives of normal policemen and policewomen in danger.

So I will wait and see, I hope that they do break up underworld gangs, and apprehend the crime bosses.

I know I will be barbecued for writing this.

That's crap. The military had the power all along. Go and read the "law" under which the military rules Thailand.

To be blunt, I find your comment offensive because it is intentionally misleading.

Remember that army general who was implicated in the human trafficking scandal of a year ago? What happened to him?

He was subject to military law and under the command of the military wasn't he?

When you can come back and tell everyone in this forum that the general was subject to a transparent judicial process, you will have a substantiated position.

And what of the officials implicated in the land encroachments and the corruption of Phuket? The military has the power right now to wipe them out. It has not, has it?

I believe the comments that this is all about stifling dissent and pushing through the new constitution are more credible.

Well, I'm not comparing the current situation with a perfect world scenario.

I'm comparing the current situation with the previous situation.

Under Yingluck there were no priority corruption purges, there were however priorities such as amnesty and passports for criminal fugitive family-members, and also some might say there was an actual increase in overall corruption under her leadership. There was also a constant barrage of threats to stability.

In any case, under the last leadership, we did not receive weekly announcements of corruption purges, or see the sackings and arrests of discredited persons.

Under the current leadership, we are seeing stability and security, and also the very real signs of anti-corruption initiatives being mobilised, slowly but surely. I applaud these things, and will continue to do so.

Edited by Yunla

Consular Assistance to U.S. Prisoners:

When a U.S. citizen is arrested overseas, he or she may be initially confused and disoriented. It can be more difficult because the prisoner is in unfamiliar surroundings, and may not know the local language, customs, or legal system.

We can help:

Provide a list of local attorneys who speak English

Contact family, friends, or employers of the detained U.S. citizen with their written permission

Visit the detained U.S. citizen regularly and provide reading materials and vitamin supplements, where appropriate

Help ensure that prison officials are providing appropriate medical care for you

Provide a general overview of the local criminal justice process

Inform the detainee of local and U.S.-based resources to assist victims of crime that may be available to them

If they would like, ensuring that prison officials are permitting visits with a member of the clergy of the religion of your choice

Establish an OCS Trust so friends and family can transfer funds to imprisoned U.S. citizens, when permissible under prison regulations

Consular Assistance to U.S. Prisoners:

When a U.S. citizen is arrested overseas, he or she may be initially confused and disoriented. It can be more difficult because the prisoner is in unfamiliar surroundings, and may not know the local language, customs, or legal system.

We can help:

Provide a list of local attorneys who speak English

Contact family, friends, or employers of the detained U.S. citizen with their written permission

Visit the detained U.S. citizen regularly and provide reading materials and vitamin supplements, where appropriate

Help ensure that prison officials are providing appropriate medical care for you

Provide a general overview of the local criminal justice process

Inform the detainee of local and U.S.-based resources to assist victims of crime that may be available to them

If they would like, ensuring that prison officials are permitting visits with a member of the clergy of the religion of your choice

Establish an OCS Trust so friends and family can transfer funds to imprisoned U.S. citizens, when permissible under prison regulations

And for U.K citizens.

https://www.gov.uk/help-if-you-are-arrested-abroad/y/thailand

To the tune of YMCA from the Village People ... I kid you not

No man does it all by himself.
I said, young man, put your pride on the shelf,
And just go there, to the N.C.P.O.
I'm sure they can help you today.

It's fun to play with the N.C.P.O.

They have everything for you men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys...

Lol where's that. Any links?

www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/villagepeople/ymca.html

You are obviously way too young to be reading this forum!

1st Army Area Dusit Ratchadamnoen Nok Rd. Bangkok 10300 Thailand