Can any 1 year non-O entry be extended..?

A friend of mine has a 1 year multi-entry non-O visa, which he uses for 3-4 trips per year always less than the 90 day limit.

Unfortunately, his return flight into Brussels has been cancelled, and the earliest return is beyond his 90 day Permission to Stay limit.

Obviously he could do a quick out-in border hop to activate another 90 day PTS, but since his rescheduled return is just 2 weeks later he would prefer to extend his current PTS. A short trip to immigration will be a lot quicker (and probably cheaper) than a border-hop, or will they insist he leaves the country?

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by steve73

Turns out his original flight will be reassigned to Frankfurt, so now leaving on time...

But useful to know that only 7 day extensions are possible to this type of visa... Would it be different if he had been married or supporting a Thai child.?

What is this "non O"?

I have a non-resident O visa that I can extend yearly for another year at the local immigration office on Samui without leaving the country.

A non-O is the normal abbreviation for a Non-immigrant visa class 'O' (for other). It's usually issued for those married to a Thai and allows 90 day entries (like all non-immigrant visas except OA which allows 1 year).

You have a 12 month extension, not a visa of any type.

Turns out his original flight will be reassigned to Frankfurt, so now leaving on time...

But useful to know that only 7 day extensions are possible to this type of visa... Would it be different if he had been married or supporting a Thai child.?

The 7 days is actually a denied extension, you get 7 days to leave the country.

With a Thai wife or child he could get a 60 day extension to visit them.

Thanks Crossy.. I'll keep that in mind.

He's unable or unwilling to get the 1 yr retirement extension, but I thought "unsupported" 1 yr non-O's had been discontinued.

His multiple entry non-o is probably based upon being 50 or over for retirement. There are some honorary consulates that will issue them.