Image lightbox annoyance

taotoo

Thank you for the link.

I am using the Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, Android 6.0.1, Thaivisa Connect app.

1. Screenshot after tapping on your link:

post-21260-14596062920787_thumb.jpg

2. Screenshot after tapping on the image:

post-21260-14596063856859_thumb.jpg

3. Screenshot after rotating the tablet to landscape display:

post-21260-14596065164452_thumb.jpg

No annoyance for me.

For me, this is what it looks like on my laptop with Windows 7:

After clicking on the link:

post-88861-0-35684900-1459611988_thumb.g

After clicking on the picture:

post-88861-0-63850700-1459612058_thumb.g

In both cases, the picture is the same size on the screen, 17.9 mm wide. Does this annoy me? No, not at all.

Edited by Puccini

On my computer, clicking on a picture in a post displays it in a pop-up window in what I assume to be the size in which it was uploaded.

Sometimes, I use this function to save the picture, at other times just to have a closer look at it.

What do you think clicking the image is meant to do?

If you look at a post with images I made in 2006 you will see the difference between the thumbnail and lightbox image - What was Thailand Like

Background on the change: More images started being uploaded that were too large when brought up in lightbox, wider than the average screen width if including the lightbox borders. I proposed to force the images to be no more than 1024 wide (down scaled). A compromise was made to 800 wide as it would cover all monitor resolutions at the time. Somewhere in the process the thumbnail was also made 800 wide.

Actually that was better in a way and that one didn't have to click on the image to get the larger size making it more convenient for viewing without an extra step. So, any image sizes uploaded greater than 800 wide get automatically downsized to 800 wide including the thumbnail.

Sometimes, I use this function to save the picture, at other times just to have a closer look at it.

And sometimes it allows for a closer look, and sometimes it doesn't. You never know till you click it.

edit: it seems it NEVER allows for a closer look.

Edited by taotoo

What do you think clicking the image is meant to do?

If you look at a post with images I made in 2006 you will see the difference between the thumbnail and lightbox image - What was Thailand Like

Background on the change: More images started being uploaded that were too large when brought up in lightbox, wider than the average screen width if including the lightbox borders. I proposed to force the images to be no more than 1024 wide (down scaled). A compromise was made to 800 wide as it would cover all monitor resolutions at the time. Somewhere in the process the thumbnail was also made 800 wide.

Actually that was better in a way and that one didn't have to click on the image to get the larger size making it more convenient for viewing without an extra step. So, any image sizes uploaded greater than 800 wide get automatically downsized to 800 wide including the thumbnail.

Thanks for the background. This can obviously be solved by 1. having enlarged images (say) twice the size, 2. having the lightbox scale to the viewport, and 3. adding some code that only adds a link if the original image is >800px.

I can see what he means. In the link he posted, the lightbox version of the image is identical to what's on the page. This defeats the purpose of having the lightbox: a lightbox is supposed to show a full-size version of a scaled-down image, not simply repeat the same image again.

It's probably a standard plugin from the forum software though, so unlikely to be fixable.