Medical Check for New Driver's License

bhatmasterson

Okay. So I went today at 9:30 am. Showed my documents and unexpired license. I was not asked for a medical form. Waited 30 minutes for the "vision test" and reflex test. Passed both with flying colors. Pun intended if you read my previous post. Was sent into room 2 with the rest of the Thai folk to watch the 1 hour video, in Thai. People were playing with their phones and nodding off. Afterwards, went to lunch and came back at 1:00 pm. Waited another hour to be called to check documents and pay fee. Waited another 45 minutes to be photographed and handed my new 5 year license. Everything finished at about 3:00 pm.

Thanks for all the helpful info. As it turned out, for me at least, no medical form needed for renewing 5 year license in Chiang Mai.

Okay. So I went today at 9:30 am. Showed my documents and unexpired license. I was not asked for a medical form. Waited 30 minutes for the "vision test" and reflex test. Passed both with flying colors. Pun intended if you read my previous post. Was sent into room 2 with the rest of the Thai folk to watch the 1 hour video, in Thai. People were playing with their phones and nodding off. Afterwards, went to lunch and came back at 1:00 pm. Waited another hour to be called to check documents and pay fee. Waited another 45 minutes to be photographed and handed my new 5 year license. Everything finished at about 3:00 pm.

Thanks for all the helpful info. As it turned out, for me at least, no medical form needed for renewing 5 year license in Chiang Mai.

No point in going early then .I arrived at 12.30 pm and all was finished at 3.40 pm .

If you are renewing a 5 year licence, you DO NOT need a medical certficate

Oh yes you do.

Oh no You Don't,you most likely got one anyway,they won't tell you it's not needed.

Oh yes you do.

You don't in the Udon Thani Provence. Last month, I had one but it was discarded, from a local clinic = 40 Baht.

What happened to the depth perception test where you peer into a window at the end of a table mounted box and estimate when a moving and a stationary vertical post coincide? I have trouble with that one. Has it been deleted from the examination?

What happened to the depth perception test where you peer into a window at the end of a table mounted box and estimate when a moving and a stationary vertical post coincide? I have trouble with that one. Has it been deleted from the examination?

Yes , i did a similar test in Pattaya about 7 years ago .No such test here in C.M though .

Klymor just before Tesco heading towards licence office - "how are you?" 100 baht

v

They asked a lot of questions .... Mine just said "100" ... And copied my details down ... And I needed two pieces of paper one for car .. Other for bike... So "200". ( damn ..just realised I could have just photocopied it ...2baht)

Yep CM as well

Edited by Robm579

Another couple of questions of interest may be:

• Does one go for the renewal of the driver's license before the old one expires, or after?
  • And up to how many days before or after is acceptable?

It's a few years till I need to renew my 5 - year licence but I think that when I do, I'll take a medical certificate anyway. It's only 100 baht and would be much more convenient than turning up without one and being told that I needed one.

Alan

>>

• >>Does one go for the renewal of the driver's license before the old one expires, or after? <<

After is better as you then get nearly 6 years .You have up to one year to renew after the old one expires .

This thread is getting ridiculously long considering all questions have been answered.

Look, just splash out a 100 baht if affordable and take it so you have all bases covered.

If they don't need it you can frame it or something, showing your government fitness to drive.

Edited by uptheos

It's a few years till I need to renew my 5 - year licence but I think that when I do, I'll take a medical certificate anyway. It's only 100 baht and would be much more convenient than turning up without one and being told that I needed one.

Alan

Too right. My medical certificate was rejected by Pattaya DLT because it was issued by a Chonburi clinic, told me to go and get another in Pattaya and come back in the afternoon.

I went to the Chonburi DLT instead, no problem there, and no video.

There is a clinic on 2nd road that will give you a cert for being clear of anything.Even Tertiary Syphilis, if applying for a teachers job,'cos thats what they will want.

I wont say the name for fear of a deff comeback.But they are on 2nd road and the name of the clinic is an alphabetical letter,followed by 2 numericals.

good luck.