House Water Filtration Experiences?

jeffandgop

I am considering installing the Master Model MP5 unit to filter sediment & chlorine from the city water before the water enters my water tank.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit and if so, how well does it perform and maintain?

Alternatively- if you have a current system that you are pleased with- or not- any details would be appreciated.
Thanks.

post-158427-0-90718500-1459559218_thumb.

We're on an artesian water supply. For just 1500THB I had a pre-tank filter installed to remove sediment and it does such a good job my 3,000THB under-bench 3-stage drinking water filters are almost redundant... well, not quite, they remove odor and bacteria.

I looked at other systems which were overkill for our purposes but may suit dam/town supply water. We drink copious amount of water daily.

I don't see any benefits in filtering city water,

the sediment (if any)would just settle at bottom

of your tank,the chlorine would soon dissipate

anyway,you would only have to flush any sediment

from the bottom of the tank by opening the valve,

In my opinion you are looking to add expense and

more work having to check,clean and renew filters.

If you intend to drink the water,you would need

to install U.V. filters or Ozone,to kill bacteria

viruses,I cannot read it but I don't think that filter

does that.

regards Worgeordie

I don't see any benefits in filtering city water, the sediment (if any)would just settle at bottom of your tank,the chlorine would soon dissipate anyway,you would only have to flush any sediment from the bottom of the tank by opening the valve, In my opinion you are looking to add expense and more work having to check,clean and renew filters. If you intend to drink the water,you would need to install U.V. filters or Ozone,to kill bacteria viruses,I cannot read it but I don't think that filter does that. regards Worgeordie

I think it depends on your water supply. We routinely get sand/dirt in our water from the city. A filter is an absolute necessity, otherwise, we'd be cleaning faucet/shower heads on a regular basis as they'd be clogged up.

The system shown doesn't have all the necessary parts for drinking water. Your list is spot on. Would have to look into the filters also to see how good they are.

Interesting reads:

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/home-water-treatment/household_water_treatment.html

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/water.shtml

We're on an artesian water supply. For just 1500THB I had a pre-tank filter installed to remove sediment and it does such a good job my 3,000THB under-bench 3-stage drinking water filters are almost redundant... well, not quite, they remove odor and bacteria.

I looked at other systems which were overkill for our purposes but may suit dam/town supply water. We drink copious amount of water daily.

Hi Rob

What brand/model is your pre-tank filter?

Thanks

Craig is spot on for the troubles I am experiencing...I am having to clean faucet screens and water lines as well- the sediment has corroded some water lines that attach from the water lines coming into the house and where it attaches to a faucet that I have had to change those out...it's gotten so bad that it so clogged a water heater that it rendered it useless for about 5 days until the sediment that was blocking the flow inside the heater finally worked its way out. BTW, I live in MaeJo and we're experiencing water outages due to broken pipes so much that when the water is turned back on after the repair the sediment that were inside the unprepared water lines is driving that sediment into my water tank...I also noticed that over the last 2 weeks the chlorine levels are very very high and that I want to filter as well. I already have a filtering system in my kitchen for drinking water and ice making.

Edited by jeffandgop

I've also visited a local company that my builder recommended and he's for a 2-phase system (removes sediment & chlorine) that is contained in a single tank that you would backwash to clean it from time to time..uses activated charcoal filtering...is this the type you have Rob?

Edited by jeffandgop

Are you using a pump/storage tank? They should take care of both chlorine and dirt issues and provide much better water flow than city pressures. Sitting in tank removes chlorine and pumping from a foot above bottom keeps almost all the dirt out.

For drinking water have an RO and/or/both UV system. RO itself removes almost all and makes the taste much better.

Edited by lopburi3

Craig is spot on for the troubles I am experiencing...I am having to clean faucet screens and water lines as well- the sediment has corroded some water lines that attach from the water lines coming into the house and where it attaches to a faucet that I have had to change those out...it's gotten so bad that it so clogged a water heater that it rendered it useless for about 5 days until the sediment that was blocking the flow inside the heater finally worked its way out. BTW, I live in MaeJo and we're experiencing water outages due to broken pipes so much that when the water is turned back on after the repair the sediment that were inside the unprepared water lines is driving that sediment into my water tank...I also noticed that over the last 2 weeks the chlorine levels are very very high and that I want to filter as well. I already have a filtering system in my kitchen for drinking water and ice making.

If you have very high chlorine levels it will exhaust an activated charcoal/carbon filter quickly. Other filter types have no effect. Easiest way to get rid of chlorine and chloramines in water is to boil it.

A high level of chlorine in tap water does not necessarily mean the water authorities are incompetent. It may mean a high organic load which requires a lot of chlorine before the free available chlorine which ensures disinfection is attained.

In my experience all the water filters have no indicator when to change the filter. Asked for information, i always heard that the filters last for one year.

For a singel person or a family. Its all One year. That pure nonsens and means that you probably drinking dirty water for some time as happend to me and my family. There are, as far as i know, only two brands for drinking water that have a indicator when to change the filter. They have the same system but One is 35000 bht and the other is 12000 bht. But its for drinking water. If you want a better water quality for the rest, you might considder to instal next to the drinking filter, also a sediment and carbon filter to have reasonable water quality for shower laundry machine and sink. Sedimentfilter also takes care that your laundry is not getting grey after washing it for sometime. Carbon filters are in many systems, mostly with a cartridge that you have to change every year, or a carbon filter that you have to fil up with carbon every five years and is cheaper. There is also a carbon system that cleano itself, but are more expencive. Hope this micht be any help for you.

I have a water storage tank (2000L) and I am asking about experiences with a filtering system that prevents/reduces sediment & chlorine before it enters the storage tank and then runs thru my pump on demand. The storage tank does not remove all of the sediment that is corroding water lines and faucet and shower head screens. Drinking water quality (I have already an in house filter system for this) nor water pressure is this issue.

Edited by jeffandgop

I've also visited a local company that my builder recommended and he's for a 2-phase system (removes sediment & chlorine) that is contained in a single tank that you would backwash to clean it from time to time..uses activated charcoal filtering...is this the type you have Rob?

Is your water from dam or bore? Very deep bores ~ 80m will drag up high chlorine compared with our mooban at ~50m. Our pre-tank filter is a giant sediment only filter. I've posted pics in similar threads before.

I had the model you are considering and it was no good, had to return it.

Also overpriced. There are cheaper alternatives.

For what you describe, you need a sediment filter + a carbon filter.

Hi, the water summply in our village is realy dirty ( Khua mung Saraphee) so I did install a filter cartridge with an activ carbon cartridge, after a couple of days I did install also a water tank ( 2000 l ) and a pump. The water is comming in now at a real slow speed between 1 or 2 liter per minit, but with a spare of 2000 litr that is fast enough! Now we have very clear and clean water. Once a month I have to clean the filter ( take the sediment out ), and i wil have to replace the cartridge once every two year. Total cost for the filter was about 1200 bath ( a new cartridge is about 600 bath ) I bougt averything at Global, and did the installation myself.

Edited by Lode

Hi ,Just Let u guys know what I have, I pump water from underground into the top of a concrete tank made of 3 concrete rings, inside this tank is filled with sand and a 3" layer of crushed charcoal about halfway down , this tank exits 1 foot from the bottom via a perforated 3 inch blue pipe into another similar concrete tank that is a water storage only , the exit from this tank is via a 1 inch pipe to a 5 micron polylrolylene filter and then pumped to a1000 lt plastic water tank and from there to the house via another poly filter this time 1 micron once inside I filter the this water to 1/2 micron for drinking , bacteria are bigger than 1/2 micron and are therefor stopped by this filter . It is my intention to add a uv filter at some time soon to kill any virus that may get through the filters, for now I add chlorine to the first tank once a week . I put this together after I bought the house one and a half years ago and a month ago I changed the 5 micron filter for the first time and was pleasantly surprised to find that it showed almost no change of color . It had gone from pure white to very light grey/brown showing that the sand/charcoal filter was doing a pretty good job. I will replace the sand/charcoal every 5 years and the poly filters yearly, still looking for a suitable UV filter to put in line or in the plastic storage tank. any recommendations would be appreciated

What's wrong with water from the sky(when it happens) and runoff from the roof.

Surely the water is pure (ish) before it hits the roof but what about all the build up of dust, bird poop and other animal poop etc that your roof is covered in. If it goes into storage with all that in it surely it's going to be pretty foul by the time you use it.

My thoughts only.

Some dirt etc bound to get into it in the process of washing off the roof. I use rain water for drinking, have for almost 20 years. My system is:

1. Never collect grom the first rain or two of the season (to let the roof clean off a bit first).

2. I have netting over the top of the water collection jars (keeps out leaves and large debris and also helps prevent mosquito larvae).

3. When I collect the water I pass it through a strainer first and then into a counter top charcoal filter.

Crystal clear and tadtes great , and never a water borne illness.

I also clean out the smaller water jars about once a year but must admit I have never cleaned the really big one as it has never been empty. Likely there is a layer of sludge at the bottom but the outlet is located about 12 inches above and it comes out looking clean.

Mind the air is nice and clean where I live. I might think twice about drinking rain water if I lived in an area with a lot of air pollution