Four tourists hurt in knife fight with robbers on Patong Beach

snoop1130

In any beach I know around the world...to just walk on at 4:30 AM ... is a call for trouble.rue many back-home hugs

Why...?

Because many bad people roaming about looking for drunks to rob & pillage ...

Walking, even at 04:30 is probably not so bad. Shucking clothes off into an unattended pile while swimming more than a few meters away is probably not safe anywhere- any time.

The disturbing thing about this story -and the cautionary tale- is that "back home" opportunistic teens would have cut their losses and scooted when confronted by the couple. I can't count the number of times I've come upon petty thieves back home and about all I ever saw was their skinny butts and the soles of their shoes as they ran off.

Has to be some pretty brazen bastards to pull knives and stand their ground during a petty theft. As if they knew they could get away with it... That's probably not something a tourist would expect.

some truth in that post............True many back-home thugs would of run off!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, it's down to luck.

Tourist areas in relatively poor countries are likely to suffer more thefts etc., especially when people are out in the middle of the night.

Phuket is a well known tourist destination and consequently has a lot of tourist robberies/attacks etc., especially now that tourist income is going down.

Having said this, a few years ago a friend and I got pissed (at another friend's house) and didn't realise that it was around 2 a.m. We walked/staggered to Rawai beach to get a taxi and discovered our mistake biggrin.png . (We vaguely wondered why our usual taxi driver was a bit vague himself when we 'phoned from friend's house to get a lift home!)

Even though it was the middle of the night, the few 'locals' around were friendly (albeit highly amused by our intoxicated state) AND our usual taxi driver got himself out of bed to pick us up!

In short, it's down to luck.

It appears that there will always be those who will try to excuse Thailand's dark side no matter what. In reality certain resorts are more dangerous than others but certainly Pattaya and Phuket are top of the list. Unfortunately there is not enough warning given to tourists to Thailand even though many tour companies now have a "not to do" list. These lists state that you should not wander around after dark, do not wear expensive watches or jewellery, always keep your valuables in the hotel safe or concealed on your person, never get into a vehicle where you suspect the driver may be unfit to drive etc etc.

There are certainly many other countries where the warnings are also valid but let's not be naïve, Thailand has a serious problem that appears to be getting worse.

I do love all the thai haters responses !!

Backpackers are probably attacked weekly in OZ..

Are you for real? Obviously your statement was based on facts? "backpackers are PROBABLY attacked weekly in OZ". From what dark nether region did you pull that piece of wisdom? Does this wisdom close down when you sit? Where in the OP did they say the Russians were backpackers? I lived in OZ for over 50 years prior to coming here and have never heard any thing to base your "fact" on. Even if backpackers were rarely attacked then you can bet the courts would be a hell of a lot more severe in sentencing than these bags of crap will get. Also it is nothing to do with "Thai haters". This is about pieces of sh%$# and absolutely nothing about Thai people in general. I guess you are just trying to be involved in the forum but think about what you post.

Forgive him. He bought some valuable real estate and started a thread why phuket is the best place to live. This is a normal response with people who invested their life savings in some money sinking hole.

Tourist areas in relatively poor countries are likely to suffer more thefts etc., especially when people are out in the middle of the night.

Phuket is a well known tourist destination and consequently has a lot of tourist robberies/attacks etc., especially now that tourist income is going down.

Having said this, a few years ago a friend and I got pissed (at another friend's house) and didn't realise that it was around 2 a.m. We walked/staggered to Rawai beach to get a taxi and discovered our mistake biggrin.png . (We vaguely wondered why our usual taxi driver was a bit vague himself when we 'phoned from friend's house to get a lift home!)

Even though it was the middle of the night, the few 'locals' around were friendly (albeit highly amused by our intoxicated state) AND our usual taxi driver got himself out of bed to pick us up!

Still not so late for that neck of the woods Dick, Laguna Disco just getting started. IMO different than 4:30 on Patong Beach.

It appears that there will always be those who will try to excuse Thailand's dark side no matter what. In reality certain resorts are more dangerous than others but certainly Pattaya and Phuket are top of the list. Unfortunately there is not enough warning given to tourists to Thailand even though many tour companies now have a "not to do" list. These lists state that you should not wander around after dark, do not wear expensive watches or jewellery, always keep your valuables in the hotel safe or concealed on your person, never get into a vehicle where you suspect the driver may be unfit to drive etc etc.

There are certainly many other countries where the warnings are also valid but let's not be naïve, Thailand has a serious problem that appears to be getting worse.

Despite my positive experience, I agree.

Tourists should be warned that tourist areas can be dangerous places. But would they heed the warnings? Of course not, they're on holiday, happy - and think nothing bad can happen to them.

Still not so late for that neck of the woods Dick, Laguna Disco just getting started. IMO different than 4:30 on Patong Beach.

We had our own problems in Rawai around the Sai Yuan/beach area a few years ago when scooter drivers were being kicked off and robbed.

Thinking about it, this problem seems to have been sorted out?

Believe me, I'm not blind re. the probs on Phuket when out late at night/morning....

We had our own problems in Rawai around the Sai Yuan/beach area a few years ago when scooter drivers were being kicked off and robbed.

Believe me, I'm not blind re. the probs on Phuket when out late at night/morning....

Sure I remember that, two things have changed.

Lighting is a bit better in what used to be some real dark spots as well as no Icon pub which was a magnet for druggies and gangsters.

As my Pops used to tell my older brother and I as teenagers "nothing good happens after midnight", then in our twenties he told us, "nothing good happens after 2AM", at which point he would also say, "typically nothing is too ugly after 2AM neither". Pops doled out good advice thumbsup.gif

I've somewhat returned to the Pops advice, try not to be on the roads anywhere after 2. Not only are their criminals about but drunks behind the wheel which may or may not be just as dangerous.

Perhaps unwise to play in the water at 04:30 !

This type of incident can and does occur anywhere in the world.

Elsewhere, perhaps, but not 'anywhere'. For example, there are no reports of tourists being attacked while swimming at 4.30 am in Antarctica. The penguins there are really quite friendly.

Might be a bit unwise with Sea-lions hanging about!

l have been told that they are quite bold & aggressive.

And love fresh meat.

They should not injure the tourist because they are drunk or may have said something stupid. And why the attackers were roaming around with knife in hand? Unfortunately the land of smile is becoming more like a land of blood. I hope the government take some serious action against people who fight with foreigners. I believe if a foreigners or tourist do something stupid they should call police like any other country and they should be fined or jailed whatever necessary fro their crimes. But beating up people is not a way to go. Soon those tourists will also head somewhere else just like those coming to Pattaya are heading other places.

Sure I remember that, two things have changed.

Lighting is a bit better in what used to be some real dark spots as well as no Icon pub which was a magnet for druggies and gangsters.

As my Pops used to tell my older brother and I as teenagers "nothing good happens after midnight", then in our twenties he told us, "nothing good happens after 2AM", at which point he would also say, "typically nothing is too ugly after 2AM neither". Pops doled out good advice thumbsup.gif

I've somewhat returned to the Pops advice, try not to be on the roads anywhere after 2. Not only are their criminals about but drunks behind the wheel which may or may not be just as dangerous.

Not convinced that lighting has made much difference, as few are around in the middle of the night. Why would lighting put off those intent on robbing tourists when there is no-one around? Presumably their locals (who knew them) did something to stop the attacks.

No idea about Icon pub as I rarely visit bars, and even then - only during the day.

Agree with your pops - not a good idea to be out after midnight in a tourist area.

They should not injure the tourist because they are drunk or may have said something stupid. And why the attackers were roaming around with knife in hand? Unfortunately the land of smile is becoming more like a land of blood. I hope the government take some serious action against people who fight with foreigners. I believe if a foreigners or tourist do something stupid they should call police like any other country and they should be fined or jailed whatever necessary fro their crimes. But beating up people is not a way to go. Soon those tourists will also head somewhere else just like those coming to Pattaya are heading other places.

Yes, but this is not going to happen.

Why is everyone assuming the stabbers were Thai?

I'm not sure it really matters in the scheme of things.

It happened on a popular and heavily advertised tourist beach in Thailand, and represents a now publicized failure of the Thai authorities to protect Thailand's customers- in this case- tourists who chose Thailand over a plethora of other destinations where they could have spent their tourist money.

Whether the stabbers were Thai's, Burmese or Martians, it justifiably reflects poorly on the image of, and damages the tourist gravy train of Thailand.

Elsewhere, perhaps, but not 'anywhere'. For example, there are no reports of tourists being attacked while swimming at 4.30 am in Antarctica. The penguins there are really quite friendly.

You frolic with seals ? biggrin.png

Are you for real? Obviously your statement was based on facts? "backpackers are PROBABLY attacked weekly in OZ". From what dark nether region did you pull that piece of wisdom? Does this wisdom close down when you sit? Where in the OP did they say the Russians were backpackers? I lived in OZ for over 50 years prior to coming here and have never heard any thing to base your "fact" on. Even if backpackers were rarely attacked then you can bet the courts would be a hell of a lot more severe in sentencing than these bags of crap will get. Also it is nothing to do with "Thai haters". This is about pieces of sh%$# and absolutely nothing about Thai people in general. I guess you are just trying to be involved in the forum but think about what you post.

I think if you google "backpacker murders" Australia comes up first. Ivan Milat murdered a whole bunch for fun.

Same reason you're assuming the victims were drunk. Your post 39.

I also have an excellent rating. Check it out.

Edited by Shot

Yes but the settlers who came to Oz are were all convicts so essentially there is a strong criminal element anyway. Is that anything to be proud of? Maybe in Oz who has Ned Kelly as a hero

No robbery attempt?

I am sure we are getting less than half the story here.

People don't often get attacked with a knife at 4.30 am for no reason.

Russians and Aussies, most likely alcohol played a part in this.

You dont know much do you. Only this week a middle aged couple on Koh Samui were riding on motorcy after dark,when they were attacked by two Thais on another motorcy. They tried to pull the womans handbag of her. They then fell off the motorcy and the Thais produced a knife and demanded her shoulder bag, she threw it to them but it fell on the ground and opened spilling everything, one of the Thais then tried to slash her, then they escaped, leaving the two German tourists in shock. You are too smart for your own good, so just shut up please.

I'm not sure it really matters in the scheme of things.

It happened on a popular and heavily advertised tourist beach in Thailand, and represents a now publicized failure of the Thai authorities to protect Thailand's customers- in this case- tourists who chose Thailand over a plethora of other destinations where they could have spent their tourist money.

Whether the stabbers were Thai's, Burmese or Martians, it justifiably reflects poorly on the image of, and damages the tourist gravy train of Thailand.

They might not come back, but the 99.9% of tourists that are having a great holiday will, and they will tell their friends who will want to come also. That's why this year Thailand will have record tourist numbers as will the years following. The gravy train keeps giving.

It happens anywhere in the world? Really? Yes incidents do happen all over the world it is true but not incidents the same as this, they don't happen all over the world. You must come from a very strange country if this is the norm. I would refer to consider it an isolated incident that was fueled by other things e.g. drink, drugs etc

Manchester and London are the much more violent than Thailand. The government does not need a police/army enforced curfew - most stay at home after 10pm/11pm because street violence is so common.

No robbery attempt?

So no blame for the men who arrived with a knife then!

My guess is if they had not turned up there would have been no incident.

It would be nice if there was some sort of police patrol on the beach during the wee hours................ Amazing how brash these punks are, instead of running away when they are spotted, they choose to stay and fight with a deadly weapon. I wonder how much ya baa these POS's were on?

Why wouldn't they stay when spotted? A Baht 500 fine and that is it. One day Thailand will understand the meaning of justice but it wont be for many many years to come.

We will all be long gone...

People go out at 4am in Thailand because it is safe usually. But in the UK most people dare not leave their house after midnight! This self-imposed curfew does but down on crime but has robbed us of an essential component of a democracy- the right to walk around without fear.

No robbery attempt?

You seem to know a lot..

Can you tell me the winning lottery numbers next week.