Shipping Furniture To Thailand

Jeff1

Hello,

I thought I saw something about shipping household goods to Thailand.

Sorry, but I have been looking for over an hour now . If someone knows where it is please direct me. I ask because I belive that someone from this site does this sort of work and I would rather give him my business than someone else.

I have all the usual questions like, how much does it cost, how long does it take to get there? Who packs and puts it on the ship / airplane . how much for insurance?

I do not have alot but somethings I would rather bring with as opposed to buying the same items over again .

Thank you for any help,

Jeff1

Hello,

Sorry, but I have been looking for over an hour now . If someone knows where it is please direct me. I ask because I belive that someone from this site does this sort of work and I would rather give him my business than someone else.

I have all the usual questions like, how much does it cost, how long does it take to get there? Who packs and puts it on the ship / airplane . how much for insurance?

I do not have alot but somethings I would rather bring with as opposed to buying the same items over again .

Thank you for any help,

Jeff1

What visa are you holding for Thailand ?

Hi Jeff1,

Just take a professional international moving company.

They know what and how to do.

They will provide you with a lot of information and rules and regulations if you ask for a door to door quotation.

I just had some talks with Crown/Santa fe-Silverhawk/Kotaisan for my future move.

May be pay some more but have a lot of worries less.

Hello,

My 2 Baht, Buy new here and save yourself lots of agrivation and maybe some hidden expense, I when through this a few years back when things were much simpler here in the LOS.

Good Luck.

Thank's everyone for your replies,

I did check the one link to that shipping company, it gave me an idea what to expect. I want to check into other's too.

Dutch , please let me know what co. you went with when you decide.

Goat roper, did you have a problem shipping something? What happened ?

Anyone else have a problem or a good company that they know of ?

Thank's again

Jeff

Thank's everyone for your replies,

I did check the one link to that shipping company, it gave me an idea what to expect. I want to check into other's too.

Dutch , please let me know what co. you went with when you decide.

Goat roper, did you have a problem shipping something? What happened ?

Anyone else have a problem or a good company that they know of ?

Thank's again

Jeff

Our personal effects and a few items of furniture layed in customs here int the Kingdom for five weeks until the company I was working for finally said I needed to pay some "Tea money", cost me and extra Baht 12,000 plus my stuff had been gone through and a few items were missing, the customs people garanteed my stuff had not been tampered with but the packing list and manifest did not match what I shipped from the states, I finally wound up dropping the whole deal, accepted what furniture I had left, paid the "Tea Money" and got on down the road, I had work to do.

Np sir, I won't ship anything else of this nature into the LOS.

A friend of mine shipped a car in from the states in 2001(he was warned not to), took him three months to clear the car through customs and had to pay an extra US$6000 plus all the crap he went through, his employer(a multinational oil co) would not touch it or pay one satang, I'll say again, he was warned.

Hi Doc,

At present im holding a non immigrant O multiple for a year.

Can I get one for longer ?

If that is a multiple entry Non-Immigrant O visa good for unlimited 90 day stays over a year, you have no right to bring any goods into Thailand without duty. You need either an O-A visa, or a one year extension from Immigration in Thailand. Axel is in the shipping business.

Jeff1,

I will let you know as soon as I made my choice.

BTW I only ship full container load. (my wife actually ships as returning thai)

all items are fully insured for any loss or damage.

These international companies are dealing on a daily base with this.

Eventual teamoney is altready included in the all-in price.

George,

It is the emotional value of many things that one collects during his life time.The older you become the more value it represents and the more you collect. I never lived in full furnished houses where I would arrive with only some suitcases.

But it is a personal choice I would say.

:o

Thanks again all, I will do the same and put it all under my wife's name as a returning Thai . ( she is in the states with me now ) Your right Dutch, some items do have personal value, other things like my sony 53" tv and computer im hoping

will be cheaper to ship than to buy new..again.

I checked under " shipping " and also found alot of good information. much easier than looking at all the back post's .... DOH ! :o From what I have gathered I belive that " Axel " ship's from Thailand , Does his company go both ways ?

Best wishes,

Jeff

Thanks again all, I will do the same and put it all under my wife's name as a returning Thai . ( she is in the states with me now ) Your right Dutch, some items do have personal value, other things like my sony 53" tv and computer im hoping

Will that 53" Sony TV set work here in the LOS?

...From what I have gathered I belive that " Axel " ship's from Thailand , Does his company go both ways ?

Best wishes,

Jeff

Yes Jeff, we do go both ways. :o

Question is your location. In the US we operate on East- and West coast for commercial shipments, but would need to know where you are to pack up.

Than, of course, you can ship, after having packed with a local packing company,

we arrange for insurance certificate, if not yet covered, pick-up in Bangkok, clear through customs and deliver within Thailand.

As long as we can clear under the passport of a Thai naitional who stayed oputside of Thailand for at least one year, there are not too many hassles with customs.

TV etc. is fine, as long as only one piece electronic or electrical per type.

The rules are basically work permit for foreigners or returning Thai having stayed outside for more than 1 year, free of duty.

I mentioned b4, usually, we do not touch foreigner's removal without WP, as too many complaints since there is this catch 22 thing, WP or tea money/duty

Customs officer might wish to inspect, which must be paid.

Few days ago, as example, we brought in a full container from Europe (Thai wife), not too much hassle, except, we did not want the customs officer to open. Here we talk about tea-money, as the cargo owner honestly told me, what is REALLY in the container.

I'll give you a PM

Guest bluesky

Hey Jeff1,

I am also interested in tea money! :o

This is Dutch using my wife's computer at home.

Axel confirms what moving compsanies already told me.

If they pack,they know what is in the container so they can take full responsibility.

If you check f.e. www.santaferelo.com you look under country information and you will find the customs regulations.

As said B4 I keep you informed about all I know.I will decide B4 July.

Dutch

Thanks again all, I will do the same and put it all under my wife's name as a returning Thai . ( she is in the states with me now ) Your right Dutch, some items do have personal value, other things like my sony 53" tv and  computer im hoping

Goat Roper,

I sure hope that my tv will work there. I have to find a place that sells a 2 way plug for it . I bought ( I guess the wrong one ) at home pro , pluged the hair dryer into it and BAM ! Nice black spot on the wall and a dead dryer. Im waiting now for a reply from Best Buy to see if they sell them.

Jeff

Thanks again all, I will do the same and put it all under my wife's name as a returning Thai . ( she is in the states with me now ) Your right Dutch, some items do have personal value, other things like my sony 53" tv and  computer im hoping

Goat Roper,

I sure hope that my tv will work there. I have to find a place that sells a 2 way plug for it . I bought ( I guess the wrong one ) at home pro , pluged the hair dryer into it and BAM ! Nice black spot on the wall and a dead dryer. Im waiting now for a reply from Best Buy to see if they sell them.

Jeff

put some asbestos on the wall b4 you turn on, saves burn marks

Might be of interest to someone, My 53" Sony tv that I bought in The U.S. will NOT work in Thailand. That will narrow down the shipping cost's .

Jeff, I was afraid of this, asked my staff the whole morning if it can be converted. No real reply,yet, so I am afraid it does not work. Here is PAL and you got an NTSC, I believe. Years ago I had a multiple, accepted PAL/NTSC/SECAM, but exploded in Bangkok, when I forgot to put and adaptor from 220V to 110V :o

Come back to you over the weekend.

Thanks Axel,

I still have other stuff that needs shipping, depending on the price.

But it looks like about 15 good size boxes now. I say 15 now but when I move im sure that very important things will start comming out of walls , as usual in every move. It is a shame to leave such a beautiful tv and then have to buy a new one. Now , what about my dvd/vcr ? Probally wont work with a new Thai tv :o

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Axel,

Was I deaming???

I thought I had seen years ago where they had trucks that would drop off and pick up containers at your house.

My darling wife is now thinking she would like to ship furniture and "other" things to Thailand.

I want to get rid of everything, oh brother, but I'm at a stage of my life where I'm mostly just saying, "yes dear."

Not bad for a recovering chauvinist pig.

It is a shame to leave such a beautiful tv and then have to buy a new one. Now , what about my dvd/vcr ? Probally wont work with a new Thai tv  :o

Your 53" TV - might work.

- It won't receive broadcast signals, or if it miraculously does, it won't pick up the sound (almost certainly a complete and utter non-starter).

- You will need a voltage convertor to switch from 240 to 110v, but you'll need that for any US electrical appliances that you take with you.

However, depending on the manufacturer and model it might be perfectly capable of handling a PAL signal coming into the composite video, or S-video or Component video sockets. (Internet is wonderful for finding out this sort of thing from the manufacturers website).

If it can handle PAL signals on those - it would be usable with satellite TV / DVD / etc.

Your DVD, if bought in America, is almost certainly just region 1, and probably NTSC only (again - manufacturers website). In which case it's fine, with a voltage convertor on it, for playing any DVDs you take with you into a TV that handles an NTSC signal. But that's only worth it if you're taking a lot of DVDs with you. (Originals in Thailand will be Region 3, and a lot of the copies are PAL also). If it can play PAL discs, it might be worth checking if there is a "region hack" for it, allowing it to play discs from Thailand.

Your VCR will also be NTSC only (probably)... - might be worth taking if you have an NTSC video camera, or a large tape collection you want to take as Thai VCRs will be PAL only (there are multi-format ones, but they cost a lot more than regular VCRs, and I don't remember seeing any here - but haven't really looked), , but don't expect to be able to record anything with it (except maybe from a US bought camcorder), and again, you need that voltage convertor - forget that and you have a serious risk of something going bang and never working anywhere...

You can definitely buy TVs here that will cope with an NTSC signal coming in on one of the composite video sockets (just check when buying them)

Axel,

Was I deaming???

I thought I had seen years ago where they had trucks that would drop off and pick up containers at your house.

My darling wife is now thinking she would like to ship furniture and "other" things to Thailand.

I want to get rid of everything, oh brother, but I'm at a stage of my life where I'm mostly just saying, "yes dear."

Not bad for a recovering chauvinist pig.

Pepe', I say yes dear all the time. "Do you understand what I said?" Yes Dear.

"I need money". No Dear.

Where did the thing with the trucks come in?

Sure, got them, problem is, we must know where the house is located and if the truck can go there. In another move which will finish this week to up-country the client followed my advice and did some piling (4 concrete posts into the soil).

Otherwise the container with totally 9 tons might have sunk 20 cm into the wet soil,

which makes it VERY difficult to open the doors. :o

One more for Khun wife. If she asks you "Do you come again from the pub?"

Just say "Of course, should I have stayed thre all night, Dear?"

Axel

Pepe', I say yes dear all the time. "Do you understand what I said?" Yes Dear.

"I need money". No Dear.

---That's a good. I'll remember that. I can get some miles out of that in the future.

Where did the thing with the trucks come in?

---Wifey is thinking she wants to take belongings to Thailand "today." As you know,

one hour or one day fron now may be a completly differnt story.

Sure, got them, problem is, we must know where the house is located and if the truck can go there.

---We are on a cul de sac in San Diego. No problem getting even big rigs in here.

Container could be set right in the drive way. What sizes/prices are available?

In another move which will finish this week to up-country the client followed my advice and did some piling (4 concrete posts into the soil).

Otherwise the container with totally 9 tons might have sunk 20 cm into the wet soil,

which makes it VERY difficult to open the doors.

---We'll be moving to Bangkok somewhere in Nakorn Pathom by the looks of it.

Everything is paved. Of coures that's no guarantee it won't sink. LOL!

One more for Khun wife. If she asks you "Do you come again from the pub?"

Just say "Of course, should I have stayed there all night, Dear?"

I beleive I may have worn that one out allready.

Don't you have any new material? :o:D:D

Our personal effects and a few items of furniture layed in customs here int the Kingdom for five weeks until the company I was working for finally said I needed to pay some "Tea money", cost me and extra Baht 12,000 plus my stuff had been gone through and a few items were missing, the customs people garanteed my stuff had not been tampered with but the packing list and manifest did not match what I shipped from the states, I finally wound up dropping the whole deal, accepted what furniture I had left, paid the "Tea Money" and got on down the road, I had work to do.

Np sir, I won't ship anything else of this nature into the LOS.

had exactly the same problems and hassle when shipping over some personal effects a few years ago, tea money,missing and damaged items.

these days it comes on the plane with me or it doesn't come at all.

buy here,its cheaper.