Every Picture Tells a Story: This is Pattaya?

Inspire

This is Pattaya?

pattaya5.jpg

Welcome to “Every Picture Tells a Story”; a weekly post about living in Thailand. Each week we’ll post a picture that illustrates some of the best parts about living in Thailand.

Everybody knows what Pattaya is famous for. And, when I say everybody … I mean Thai people too.

Foreigners who only know about the past history of Pattaya think coming here is like getting a magic time machine and going back to the 1970s. They expect to see American troops coming back from the front lines whooping it up in go-go bars and stumbling down Walking Street. (To be honest, I still know a few places like that).

Thai people also spit on the ground when they say the name “Pattaya”. No Thai parents hope their children grow up and get a job … of any kind … in Pattaya. My former mother-in-law from the Northeast said it best … “Pattaya … have bad people”.

Nobody on either side of the oceans talks about modern Pattaya, with its high-rise condos and waterfront shopping malls. Nobody is talking about the lush golf courses. Nobody is showing friends pictures from the polo matches held in Pattaya.

Last week an old friend called me. She is a Thai lady from Chiang Mai who was in town for business and asked me to come “protect her” while in Pattaya. That’s just how she said it … “protect me”. She was holed-up in her hotel room, afraid to go outside because of all the “bad people” she’d heard about.

It may sound odd, but I took offense to this attitude. I’ve lived in Pattaya for over 7 years … I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been on Walking Street. That’s not all there is! What “bad people”? I was incensed, so I picked up the “Proud to be a Pattayan” banner and took this frightened Thai lady on a tour of “My Pattaya”.

Read the rest of the story here: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/pattaya/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-03-04

Absolutely correct - I live about 10 kilometres from Pattaya City and when I tell friends back in the UK where I live they also have this idea of Pattaya being very dangerous.

I've been having holidays in Thailand for the past 25 years normally twice a year, and our children have always accompanied us - Our children are now adults and Thailand and in particular Pattaya has become their holiday destination of choice.....

I like going into the bars as much as the next person but I also like the fact that within 15 minutes I can be on secluded beaches etc.

My wife and I have now retired here and have found this forum a great help - Thanks.......

H.

What a load of drivel! Sterotypical mindset of the minority, "american troops coming back from the frontlines" "Thai people spit on the ground when the mention Pattaya " how on earth does this rubbish get bandwidth!!!

What a load of drivel! Sterotypical mindset of the minority, "american troops coming back from the frontlines" "Thai people spit on the ground when the mention Pattaya " how on earth does this rubbish get bandwidth!!!

Couldn't have expressed it better.

To add to the nonsense if you read the actual article he then speaks about being in Bang Saray and Ban Amphur, neither of which I would classify as Pattaya, and nothing about Pattaya itself.

Re Bang Saray he says "a few kilometres south of town." Only if a few is about 15 or more.........

Edited by topt

"Thai people also spit on the ground when they say the name Pattaya. No Thai parents hope their children grow up and get a job of any kind in Pattaya. My former mother-in-law from the Northeast said it best Pattaya have bad people.

Utter crap!

With Tripadvisor listing hotels (410), B&B and Inns (451), Specialty Lodging (359), Vacation Rentals (1,362) in the Pattaya area there is an abundance of real employment opportunities for Thai's all ages just the accom sector.

No need for Thai kiddies to invite their pants down if they are prepared to do a decent days work in Pattaya; but isn't this prostitution issue based on values and education their parents have afforded them?

HOWEVER

With the bulk of the labor force not being born and raised in Pattaya, yes there is an element of "bad people" not only from the "North East" BUT from all corners of the globe.

Go to any night club area in any major city in the world late at night and the danger is equally proportional to where you go and what type of entertainment or substances you are seeking.

Edited by khun custard

I tell the kind folks back home across the pond that Pattaya is the Wild West of bad taste and manners....full of fat guys with pony tails and a few missing limbs....but it is what it is....no changing the face to please the rest of the world....it is all going to heck in a hand basket soon, so just enjoy the ride and grit your teeth on a daily basis.

Couldn't have expressed it better.

Neither could I....absolute nonsense article that is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt by the author to push his moralistic views down our throats.

Yes I completely agree, much more interesting would be a every picture tells a story but show pictures of SHAME!!

(And they would be truthfull!)

Yes I completely agree, much more interesting would be a every picture tells a story but show pictures of SHAME!!

(And they would be truthfull!)

Quite! Shame is not the word I'd use though...something a bit stronger. Looking at the L.I.F.E project pictures to help kids in the Pattaya slums really does tell the truth.

To add to the nonsense if you read the actual article he then speaks about being in Bang Saray and Ban Amphur, neither of which I would classify as Pattaya, and nothing about Pattaya itself.

Re Bang Saray he says "a few kilometres south of town." Only if a few is about 15 or more.........

do not talk here about Bang Saray. that can only lead to it being ruined 555

Agreed complete nonsense.

:)

What the picture does not show is the utter corruption, scams, and rip-offs that occur on a daily basis in the Pattaya area...

Don't tell me I do not know what I am talking about...I have lived in Pattaya for years also...and have grown jaded by the constant need to test everyday transactions as they are opportunities for Thai misbehavior...

In my opinion...the Thais view farangs as walking banks that are begging to be robbed...

This weekend Pattaya hosted a number of events for children's schools featuring, dance music food and other aspects of Thai culture. The performances were delightful.

..any place anywhere on the planet can be potentially dangerous..lift your observation level and try to stay alert at all times..just that some areas attract a larger percentage of those preying on the vulnerable..travel safe.

do not talk here about Bang Saray. that can only lead to it being ruined 555

Seems in recent months many have already woken up to this in a big way

The traffic going past Ban Ampur on Sukhumvit most weekends has increased 10 fold in the past 6 months

The Bang Saray beach is currently a construction site with the beach sand being reclaimed (I don't know how long that will last) car parks relocated and drainage being installed on the ocean side of the road

Quite a pleasant (non sterotypical Pattaya image) to see Thai and European families picnicking in the foresore most afternoons

"Nobody is showing friends pictures from the polo matches held in Pattaya".

I am.

http://www.pattayadays.com/?s=polo

Interesting shots and commentary - thanks thumbsup.gif

Truly a great afternoon out at either of the Polo Clubs

Both are excellent facilities.

Pity they don't market their sport to a wider audience; chuckers without a crowd can be pretty flat

No La Martina stores opening up in Central Festival to woo the Chinese "busurists" any time soon!!

Can we keep Bang Saray a secret? They are re-vamping the beach road which is spoiled only by that monstrous tower block which apparently is just on the edge of Jomtien auspices.

Bang Saray has a beach-side park with running track & exercise machines - free.

Football pitch.
Gym classes provided by the municipal authorities - free.

Evening markets.

A first class eatery in The Bakery.

The Beach restaurant serves passable Indian curries.

Wilkris is a picturesque place to enjoy pizzas by the pool.

I've been here 8 years & love it.

We have lived just outside Pattaya for 10 years now , we do our shopping at Tesco or Big C ,our son went to a private school and is in university , our neighbours are buisness people , our lives are just ordinary normal lives , but that is of no interest at all , just crap written about hookers , robberies and not being safe to walk the streets of Pattaya (well all in all i have walked them safely for over 25 years) thats all most people want to hear ,so thats why they write this bull-hit