No motorcycles on bridges and ramps in Bangkok

prepress

I read in another forum:

since last Wednesday a new traffic law prohibits bicycles, motorcycles and Tuc tucs not to cross 39 bridges and 6 underpasses in Bangkok.

Reason: No line for slow/small vehicles. Violation = 1,000 Baht fine.

http://www.thailandnews.co/2016/04/hundreds-of-motorcycles-briefly-block-bridge/

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157850

Anyone know more about this. And which bridges?

Edited by prepress

I thought this was always the case? Most bridges over and under passes have no motorbike signs above.

Lately they have been setting up check points to enforce it though.

Whilst I still take my chances on the over passes some of the bigger bridges are not designed for bikes and I live next to one on Rama 3 and the wind is crazy with no protection on the centre part of the bridge even on a heavier bike it's not safe I think.

Bhumibol bridge is the one that had the protest on it last week but I remember late one night whilst in my car having to counter steer into the wind. Bikes chance it on there often but the issue is as you go up the ramp part you are sheltered by high walls but by the point of no return there is literally none.

Seriously sucks though as the detour you have to make to get to the bike friendly bridge on Rama 3 is huge.

Sounds like a crazy law to me, so people on bikes are going to have to do anything up to half an hours detour to get across the river cutting through the middle of Bangkok to, say get to work? So if they have one they're going to jump into their car instead, causing more traffic in a already traffic choked city? wind could occasionally be an issue but there has got to be a better way of dealing with it than this. Also knowing the Thai government's attitude to road safety Im sure this has much more to do with the convenience of car drivers than any safety issues with wind & bikes...

better watch for no motorcycle signs on fly overs!!!

was on Ramkhamhaeng rd. and the BIB were all over fly overs issuing tickets.

they would move from one flyover to another.

i went up at 1:30 and came back down to Sukhumvit at 4:00 and they were still out making money.

from reading the news today minimum fine is 1k but looks like its all kicking off with protests soon. Also something about riding only in the left lane but nothing i can find in english on this at the moment.

A certain newspaper we can't link to has an article today and there are other posts on fb ( expat biker group ) in English.

There is a demo at Chaeng Wattana at the same time as filing a petition .. As we all ride bikes - we should support, but is this classed as a political demo.

The organization has already had their coat pulled when they were to protest at the police HQ and needed reminded that under the current state of emergency, gatherings of over 4 people are prohibited.

Banning motorbikes on flyovers is common sense. Have seen the riders responsible for accidents or near accidents weaving their way between other traffic on a flyover is extremely dangerous for obvious reasons. Now ready for the biker rant!!

Edited by kingalfred

Banning motorbikes on flyovers is common sense. Have seen the riders responsible for accidents or near accidents weaving their way between other traffic on a flyover is extremely dangerous for obvious reasons. Now ready for the biker rant!!

I have also seen cars and minibuses and trucks weaving left and right on highways etc. Should we ban cars on highways then?

DELETED

The bridge that I use daily, (Thai-Belgian Bridge on Rama IV/Sathorn) one used to be allowed to ride on it until this stupid new ruling. signs everywhere saying bikes are no longer allowed.

Oddly enough, today all the signs are now gone and people are using it same as before.

from reading the news today minimum fine is 1k but looks like its all kicking off with protests soon. Also something about riding only in the left lane but nothing i can find in english on this at the moment.

Why dont they use a cc limit instead like the Uk as many bikes can do well over 160kph and wouldnt slow anyone down

Why dont they use a cc limit instead like the Uk as many bikes can do well over 160kph and wouldnt slow anyone down

Curious, what is the cc limit & rules there?

USA allows >150cc [e.g.PCX] on freeways, Interstates, expressways, I believe.

Is it OK for motorbikes to ride on the big road underneath the Bangna-Trat tollway? Or should we ride only on the frontage road beside it?

Today is my first day riding around BKK and I have a lot to learn about riding here in the big city.

Is it OK for motorbikes to ride on the big road underneath the Bangna-Trat tollway? Or should we ride only on the frontage road beside it?

Today is my first day riding around BKK and I have a lot to learn about riding here in the big city.

I think .. If there is a frontage road you are supposed to use it, up to you if you do.

It doesn't make sense - sit in traffic at every factory or shopping mall en route or zoom down the dual carriageway - it's a no brainier, especially if you see locals doing it.

Pretty sure that is legal unless posted otherwise.

I think the no motorbike signs begin at the outer ring road when heading into town. So definitely illegal outside Central Bang-Na

I am amused when foreigners complain about safety and poor traffic laws and poor policing and yet when something is done they also complain.

Generally speaking : If the bridge has three lanes or more or there is a shoulder on the bridge or overpass then bikes are allowed. If two lanes and all the space is taken by traffic lanes , they are not.

Case in point the aforementioned Thai-Belgian Bridge. It has a narrow shoulder and there even is or was was an overhead sign directing motorbikes to use the shoulder. (see street view).

There are many accessible overpasses on Ratcharuek Rd and bikes are allowed on at least one of the Bumiphol bridges off Rama III

Bikes are not allowed on the new Krungthep bridge on Rama III as it only has two lanes and no shoulder. So bikes have to use the old bridge.

Edited by VocalNeal

Pretty sure that is legal unless posted otherwise.

I think the no motorbike signs begin at the outer ring road when heading into town. So definitely illegal outside Central Bang-Na

I am amused when foreigners complain about safety and poor traffic laws and poor policing and yet when something is done they also complain.

Generally speaking : If the bridge has three lanes or more or there is a shoulder on the bridge or overpass then bikes are allowed. If two lanes and all the space is taken by traffic lanes , they are not.

Case in point the aforementioned Thai-Belgian Bridge. It has a narrow shoulder and there even is or was was an overhead sign directing motorbikes to use the shoulder. (see street view).

There are many accessible overpasses on Ratcharuek Rd and bikes are allowed on at least one of the Bumiphol bridges off Rama III

Bikes are not allowed on the new Krungthep bridge on Rama III as it only has two lanes and no shoulder. So bikes have to use the old bridge.

I am pretty sure no bikes are allowed on any of the Bumphol bridges off Rama 3. If you are over that end of the city you can only take the Rama 3 bridge (the smaller on that runs under the main one) or take the ferry across.

Usually with most bridges and some underpasses (the one at Din Daeng) if you would have to take a huge detour by not using them, then they are accessible for bikes. Or lets be honest, if the cops can't stand at the end of the bridge, due to traffic flow, road layout - then you can use it ;)

...Usually with most bridges and some underpasses (the one at Din Daeng) if you would have to take a huge detour by not using them, then they are accessible for bikes. Or lets be honest, if the cops can't stand at the end of the bridge, due to traffic flow, road layout - then you can use it wink.png

Therein lies the rub. I take that route every day, turning onto Din Daeng from Ratchawithi, under the express-way then into fast moving merging traffic. Of course there is that HUGE sign upon exiting the underpass...how long is it applicable for?

Obviously applies on the VV-Rangsit overpass but what about the LOOOOONG overpass that takes you to the Ekkamai Road junction? I can't imagine them putting a roadblock on the end of that, with traffic merging at some 100s of km/h.

BTW that's always the most dangerous part of my trip, exiting into the outside lane with high speed traffic behind & merging from the left. Also what's with the 'kink' just before the bridge? You never know if they're going to stay within the lines or drive straight LOL.

Today's report: Noon. Came back via Phayathai Road, left at VM then over Rama 6 & down to the tracks; not a copper in sight. laugh.png

I am pretty sure no bikes are allowed on any of the Bumphol bridges off Rama 3

They took the signs down on Rama III end years ago. There are lots of bikes on there going to Suksawat.

I have seen cops pulling people over for going on that bridge though. Maybe they took the signs down to catch people out

It is not obvious at all

Heard this discussion for over 15 years. Big bikes OK - how do the Police tell you have a large displacement bike ? If they allowed bikes on Hwy7, all bridges, expressways, imagine that scenario ! Sidecars with belching charcoal smoke, noodle steam, all the Honda Waves with 4 people on them, kids with souped up Novas screaming by at 10,000 RPM. Madness. Only way it would work is to teach children how to ride/drive at an early age, graduated license system, enforce traffic laws. Will this ever happen ? Not in my lifetime - or my childrens if they have not begun before. So - give it a rest. Done to Death.

Sounds like a crazy law to me, so people on bikes are going to have to do anything up to half an hours detour to get across the river cutting through the middle of Bangkok to, say get to work? So if they have one they're going to jump into their car instead, causing more traffic in a already traffic choked city? wind could occasionally be an issue but there has got to be a better way of dealing with it than this. Also knowing the Thai government's attitude to road safety Im sure this has much more to do with the convenience of car drivers than any safety issues with wind & bikes...

I would say it is more to do with collecting tea money.

Motorcycles over about 250cc should be allowed to go anywhere cars can, even on tollways.

Curious, what is the cc limit & rules there?

USA allows >150cc [e.g.PCX] on freeways, Interstates, expressways, I believe.

Unlike the Thais, the USA does use common sense.