Local education to promote morals, Thai's values

webfact

The Ministry of Interior has appointed morals and core values of Thais as the education strategy among schools under the supervision of local authorities, official says.

What a shame that the core values of the education system do not seem to include teaching decent quality mathematics or English or Science or computing or teaching children to think for themselves If government schools spent less time on morals and pseudo militaristic activities, their children might be better prepared for the demands of 21st century society. Small wonder that anyone who can afford it puts their children through International schools.

The Ministry of Interior has appointed morals and core values of Thais as the education strategy among schools under the supervision of local authorities, official says.

What a shame that the core values of the education system do not seem to include teaching decent quality mathematics or English or Science or computing or teaching children to think for themselves If government schools spent less time on morals and pseudo militaristic activities, their children might be better prepared for the demands of 21st century society. Small wonder that anyone who can afford it puts their children through International schools.

So true.. but is there any international school which is not a cash machine ? I mean really devoted to education etc... I heard so many stories from super expensive schools with really bad results in education.

I am intented to work less in order to have more time with my kids and being able to teach them School program for expats kids with paying "online / mailing" program that has very good review, the cost will be much cheaper than these international schools, and the benefit will be good I hope ! For the rest, learning thai and thai values.. the public school will do that well. I'll just have to explain them what are real values for me : Love and Respect for human beings.. the rest is just common sense.

Also with all the money kept away from these "hi so" schools, my kids will have much fun for sure with more travels, books, intelligent games, cultural trips, music instruments and courses, sports activity..etc..etc.. !

Thai's values are exactly what they are doing. Look after yourself, stuff everyone else, pay the commission to those higher up and pretend you are an upstanding citizen.

And you actually think this is unique to Thailand....Pot?

Thai's values are exactly what they are doing. Look after yourself, stuff everyone else, pay the commission to those higher up and pretend you are an upstanding citizen.

And you actually believe this is unique to Thailand....Pot?

Using the polite articles 'krub' & 'ka' while ripping someone off, or extorting them on the side of the road. Murdering someone who cut you off in traffic, or lying that you understood someone or something (particularly directions) so you don't lose face. Illegally and corruptly amassing vast fortunes of unusual personal wealth, while 15.8 million of your citizens scratch around in the dirt for 50 baht a day. These also seem to be Thai values, krub. wai.gif

Yes, because your home country is the epitome of high moral values </sarcasm>

I wonder which words are actually used?

จรรยาบรรณ

ค่า

ความคุ้มค่า

Did they set out what these morals and values are.

I shall be happy to write a curriculum for Thai Morals and Values 101

I will probably have some difficulty with the practicals and coursework let alone the assessment.

Moral and ethical behaviour......จริยธรรม.......ja-riya-tam

Societal values........ค่านิยม.......ka-nee-yom

These important character traits are sadly lacking among

many Thais, especially the so called "HI-SO" who themselves

are only a few generations removed from the rice fields,

peasants with money, whose moral and ethical behaviour can

be observed on TV, plus there is no rule of law, despite the BIB

who are as effective as keystone cops. This subject is a joke

in the land of phony smiles.

Using the polite articles 'krub' & 'ka' while ripping someone off, or extorting them on the side of the road. Murdering someone who cut you off in traffic, or lying that you understood someone or something (particularly directions) so you don't lose face. Illegally and corruptly amassing vast fortunes of unusual personal wealth, while 15.8 million of your citizens scratch around in the dirt for 50 baht a day. These also seem to be Thai values, krub. wai.gif

But does the posters country claim to be? Thai values are shoved down our throats... in a way which is uniquely Thai- sanctimonious.

...and the class will culminate with a field trip to Nana and Soi Cowboy. ?

As for the curriculum itself, there's just one lesson: Money is the only basis for respect, and the more you have, the less often you will have to say "I'm sorry."

How do you teach morals and ethics to the young when everyday they are exposed to the lack of such by the countrys'self imposed leaders.

Even announce that "you are only doing it for the good of the country" and use the Computer Crimes act to stop being fully exposed.

You are not talking about morals and Thai values here. You are talking about Thainess.

How do you teach morals and ethics to the young when everyday they are exposed to the lack of such by the countrys'self imposed leaders.

Even announce that "you are only doing it for the good of the country" and use the Computer Crimes act to stop being fully exposed.

You are not talking about morals and Thai values here. You are talking about Thainess.

What is Thainess, if not the deeply rooted culture, traditions, beliefs, values and customs, which collectively form the unique Thai way of life?

Thainess, as defined by Thai intellectuals, was designed in response to political problems that faced the ruling class in each era—forming the basis for prevalent explanations of various incidents and problems in Thailand’s political society inexplicable in any other developed country—is an ideology which has been so consistently cultivated in the society that it has become “system of truth” that is highly influential on the way Thais think, and constructed many important “truths” in Thai polity.

The three skewed values I mentioned—the more times you can insert 'krub' or 'ka' into a sentence the more polite you are, even when cheating or lying or arguing in the street; the ridiculously puerile notion of 'face' and how one would rather be a convicted murderer than accept the embarrassment of being cut off in traffic, or abandon a significant asset such as a motor vehicle because you embarrassingly drove it down a footpath; and the obscene accumulation of unusual wealth by government officials and quaint names for overt corruption such as 'tea money'—are all perfect examples of Thainess.

It would be very interesting to read a list of what those morals/ values are they will promote. It isn't a bad thing to do. I suppose it will be based on Buddhism?

Historically it has been based on the ideology that helps maintain the centralized political regime and hierarchical social structure, functioning as an obstacle to prevent Thai people from adapting themselves to the rapid changes in their society, and attaining necessary personal rights, freedoms, and equality, as well as access to essential resources and the right to live a dignified life.

But does the posters country claim to be? Thai values are shoved down our throats... in a way which is uniquely Thai- sanctimonious.

How is it not, when the implication that murder, losing face, govt corruption, etc is unique to Thailand?

And who is shoving what down your throats? Sanctimonious...there's plenty of that spread by Farang all over the globe.

The three skewed values I mentioned—the more times you can insert 'krub' or 'ka' into a sentence the more polite you are, even when cheating or lying or arguing in the street; the ridiculously puerile notion of 'face' and how one would rather be a convicted murderer than accept the embarrassment of being cut off in traffic, or abandon a significant asset such as a motor vehicle because you embarrassingly drove it down a footpath; and the obscene accumulation of unusual wealth by government officials and quaint names for overt corruption such as 'tea money'—are all perfect examples of Thainess.

Replace krub/ka with sir/mam, face with ego, tea money with lobbying and the same applies to your home country under a different name.

Obviously face is more complicated than ego, but the negative actions you believe are caused by it are just as common in your own country when egos are bruised, hence the prevalence of violent crime and road rage in US/UK/AUS.

Can any list what Thai values and morals are? Not the bad ones, the good ones.

Values and morals have a link in concept terms to rules. Thailand is not a rules friendly place.

Someone once said to me that Thais do not have any concepts. If true, then does that preclude the existence of values and morals? Hhmmm.

Replace krub/ka with sir/mam, face with ego, tea money with lobbying and the same applies to your home country under a different name.

Obviously face is more complicated than ego, but the negative actions you believe are caused by it are just as common in your own country when egos are bruised, hence the prevalence of violent crime and road rage in US/UK/AUS.

Not a valid comparison insofar as "face" is an integral and structural component of Thai society - both collectively and individually.

Westerners who become homicidal in response to criticism or as a result of others pointing out their shortcomings are exceptional individuals who usually lack adequate ego strength.

Not going to bother reading the reply's I just hope they try to stick to Thai morals and not become westernized.

Was just out to my wife's daughter and son in laws new house 3 bedroom. Two daughters one son and his wife with their 1 month old baby plus his mother and three cousins and one sister visiting.

Crowded to say the least. Happy to the max.

It would be very interesting to read a list of what those morals/ values are they will promote. It isn't a bad thing to do. I suppose it will be based on Buddhism?

Surely as an ideal... not a practicality, practiced behavior, or reality.

...and the class will culminate with a field trip to Nana and Soi Cowboy. ?

As for the curriculum itself, there's just one lesson: Money is the only basis for respect, and the more you have, the less often you will have to say "I'm sorry."

Have you heard many Thais say "sorry" or acknowledge making a mistake? lol Not around here.