Mum of Brit killed by rampaging elephant in Thailand says she doesn't blame arrested handler

webfact

Mum of man killed by rampaging elephant in Thailand says she doesn't blame arrested handler
BY AMANDA KEENAN

Jane Crowe said she has nothing but sympathy for the Burmese man, who has been arrested over the incident

DUNOON, Argyll: -- The mum of a Brit killed on holiday by a rampaging elephant says she doesn't blame the animal's handler.

Jane Crowe said she has nothing but sympathy for the supervisor who was on duty when her son Gareth was trampled to death in Thailand in front of his 16-year-old stepdaughter Eilidh.

Police held Burmese handler Saw Win Tun, 37, over the incident, but in an incredible show of compassion, Jane has said she doesn't hold him responsible.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-man-killed-rampaging-elephant-7684128

-- Mirror 2016-04-04

According to the Mirror newspapers,

"Within days, the elephant was moved to another region and was back giving rides to holidaymakers"

That, I have found to be quite disturbing and a very questionable decision on the handlers part,

what? are they so sure it not happened again with this elephant?.....

Worst example of scapegoating? Like the handler decides how an elephant behaves.

I say this in all honesty: He was Burmese and I sadly don't know if they would have been so quick to condemn him had he been Thai.

Whether or not I am right, 15 years living here has influenced me to think I probably am, but anyone who wishes to accuse me of that old Thai-bashing, go right ahead. I just checked my supply of <deleted>, and i m all out.

"Within days, the elephant was moved to another region and was back giving rides to holidaymakers"

That, I have found to be quite disturbing and a very questionable decision on the handlers part,

I saw somebody being gorged to death (westerner) about 10 years ago.

They just washed the blood away and carried on the next day as though nothing had happened

Worst example of scapegoating? Like the handler decides how an elephant behaves.

Agreed. It's not like hitting the elephant several times with a metal hook would influence the elephant's behaviour at all!

I thought that being moved to an inactive post means "retirement", so why did the poor elephant have to work again?

It must be quite annoying getting hit with this all day

handlers who use the hook to cause harm to the elephant don't last long. The hook is used to give the elephant guiding signals and does not cause pain or penetrate the skin if used correctly. The hook can supposedly be used as a means of last resort to kill the elephant with a blow to the skull, but I doubt there is any evidence of this being effective. I seriously doubt the hook was a factor in this incident.

Detain an elephant Mahoot for the elephant killing a person but don't detain an Hi So driver for killing two innocent people, another killing a policeman and yet another kills 9 people whilst actually too young to hold a license. This pretty much sums up whats wrong with this corrupt nation.

Detain an elephant Mahoot for the elephant killing a person but don't detain an Hi So driver for killing two innocent people, another killing a policeman and yet another kills 9 people whilst actually too young to hold a license. This pretty much sums up whats wrong with this corrupt nation.

He's Burmese. He is expendable. Just like the two scapegoats in jail for the murders connected Thai island mafia committed on Koh Tao.

It is sick, it really is.

The elephant handlers just seem to be following Catholic priest protocol.

Hackneyed, irrelevant and inaccurate clap-trap that pretty much sums up what is wrong with many posters here.

Hackneyed, irrelevant and inaccurate clap-trap that pretty much sums up what is wrong with many posters here.

Seems pretty spot on to me , showing the mind boggling hypocrisy

here in Thailand. There have been many stories over the years of

elephants crushing tourists to death, do not recall any of the mahouts

being arrested over the death. Guess they were Thai mahouts......

Given all the deaths that elephants have caused, it is amazing to me

that tourists are dumb enough to ride them, and that the government

still allows it. Seems like a few people get crushed each year.

it hasnt killed anyone in that region (yet) so that means its fine......