Eva and Bangkok Airways - interline bags

Not sure if anyone has posted on this topic already but just in case not....

I have made use of this facility in the past in cases where I have purchased separate flight tickets between LHR - BKK and BKK - USM and I want my bags checked all the way through to the final destination without reclaiming at BKK.

In the past this didn't prove a problem, however when I flew last month I was told by EVA check-in staff at LHR this arrangement would be stopped at the end of March 2016. in fact, the first person I spoke to said it had already stopped!

When returning from USM, I believe I noticed something similar on a written notice at their check-in counter. Thankfully I was just going to BKK on that flight and not onwards to LHR the same day.

The upshot is that if you have a flight involving a connection, you should purchase it on one transaction to ensure your bags are transferred to the final destination. Otherwise, be prepared to reclaim at BKK and check-in again for the next leg or factor in a stopover in BKK.

Hope this information is useful.

Edited by MarkyM3

That said, if you are connecting to another Star Alliance carrier (EVA is but Bangkok Airways is not), bags will always be checked through to your final destination, regardless of whether your flights are ticketed separately or in a single itinerary.

You can ask for your bags to be 'tagged' through to final destination at check-in. You will still have to go to your second airline's airside transfer desk. It's worth checking beforehand that they have one at the transiting airport, otherwise it's a walk out to landside check-in for the boarding pass(es).

I won't be taking the chance of asking EVA to interline from LHR again, even if my connection's on another Star Alliance carrier unless I get a specific assurance before I travel from the EVA office in the UK.

As mentioned, the first check-in staff member flat out refused to do it before they'd even asked where my follow-on destination (and airline) was. The person who did check me in just said they won't be interlining after the end of March and it was official policy. No mention of Star Alliance vs others. Hence my caution.

And I believe I saw a similar written notice at Samui check-in as well for Bangkok Airways.

They won't check you through any more Marky, because Thai policy (I assume AOT) has changed, as you know. Getting your bags 'tagged' is different, and still allowed. You still have to check-in for your onbound flight(s) at point of each departure, but you don't have to collect your bags and put them back in for the next flight. You don't even have to leave airside if your next airline has a transfer desk at (in your case) Swampy. I found this:

"Passengers transferring to domestic or international flights: If your time allows, you can avail yourself of the Day Room, Spa & Massage, Barber Salon, Area Tour or shops & restaurants in the terminal. Note that all Star Alliance airlines and Bangkok Airways PB Air are located on the east side concourses, while all other airlines are located on the west side concourses:"

http://www.ifly.com/bangkok-international-airport/terminal-map

As you say, I think it is OK to send straight through if you have a single ticket for the whole journey. I have only had problems doing this previously if it has been two separate tickets (bookings), so I think it has been this way for a while.

Tell the booking agent what you want to do (send bags straight through to destination), when you book the tickets and should be OK.

Edited by phetphet

I won't be taking the chance of asking EVA to interline from LHR again, even if my connection's on another Star Alliance carrier unless I get a specific assurance before I travel from the EVA office in the UK.

As mentioned, the first check-in staff member flat out refused to do it before they'd even asked where my follow-on destination (and airline) was. The person who did check me in just said they won't be interlining after the end of March and it was official policy. No mention of Star Alliance vs others. Hence my caution.

And I believe I saw a similar written notice at Samui check-in as well for Bangkok Airways.

That's right, Marky, the rules just changed. People we know just fell foul of this.

Very unfortunate, as it just lengthens the queues/time taken for both luggage and check in. And it's TG as well as PG.

As we were talking about EVA and Star Alliance, are you sure the rules have changed if your entire journey is on Star Alliance? I just did a trip a few weeks ago with a combination of OZ and UA on two different itineraries, and both going and returning they checked my bags all the way through.

As we were talking about EVA and Star Alliance, are you sure the rules have changed if your entire journey is on Star Alliance? I just did a trip a few weeks ago with a combination of OZ and UA on two different itineraries, and both going and returning they checked my bags all the way through.

The clue is perhaps in the "a few weeks ago". This seems to be a new rule.

Sorry, not trying to be rude. And certainly not 100% sure about the details, but that's two sources who have found this. Might be best to check with your airlines before flying.

I too have just become aware of this new Bangkok Airways policy, regarding separate-tickets/PNRs, which they told me yesterday has been revised from 27th March 2016 onward.

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/separate_ticket

And started a thread about it, in the Travel forum, to help like the OP to spread the word. It affects a trip I've got booked for September, which I bought tickets for last December, well before there was any hint of a change. At present the airline have offered to rebook me, without the usual B800 change-fee, onto an earlier flight, and I'm considering my options.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/909958-bangkok-airways-changed-policy-on-connecting-flights/

Something which I've been doing twice a year, for several years, will apparently no longer be possible in future. Pity but that's life.

It does explain why their page on through-checkin is down, and has been for several weeks.

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/check-in-through

• 3 weeks later...

The information is 99% correct. The airlines who have continuing interline and codeshare agreements will continue to offer interline. EVA Airlines continues to show Bangkok Airlines as an interline baggage partner.

What has changed is if the connecting airline (Non PD airline) is not covered by the code share or interline agreement. The catch is that there must be one ticket number shared by BR and PD.

Bangkok Airways Separate Ticket Policy

In accordance to comply with industry standards & practices and APPS (Advance Passenger Processing System),
Bangkok Airways would like to announce the Revision of Separate Ticket Policy applied to all Bangkok Airways operated flights as per following details.

When passenger travel with two separate tickets, Bangkok Airways will no longer through-check bags to the end destinations on the secondary separate ticket,
through-check bags will only be done when the secondary separate ticket is to travel on the following criteria:
• Bangkok Airways’ operating flights (PGXXX) 3 digits
• Bangkok Airways’ codeshare marketing flights (PGXXXX) 4 digits

According to such revised policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.
If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, Bangkok Airways will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s).
For domestic/international sectors connecting to domestic destination, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s) after going through immigration process, if any. This is also applied for both domestic origins connecting to international end destinations, as well as international origins connecting to international destinations.

For passenger with a single ticket number from origin to destination, this will not be an issue. Bangkok Airways has broken down the scenarios as follows:

ex1_en.png

ex2_en.png

ex3_en.png

The scenario below, illustrate the exemption of separate ticket policy for Airlines under agreement with Bangkok Airways.
- Passenger must request for through check-in upon check-in at the airport as well as providing detail of the second ticket.

ex4_en.png

Furthermore, with the revised new separate ticket policy, Bangkok Airways hold no responsibility for any mishandling or misconnect flight other than our operating flight from origin to destination reflected on Bangkok Airways’ ticket. This policy will apply to all inbound and outbound travel.

Bangkok Airways strongly recommend traveler to issue ticket in one conjunctive ticket instead of multiple separate tickets to avoid hassles at the connecting point, and enjoy care free journey without anxieties.

For more information, please contact our Call Center 1771 or +66 (2) 270 6699.

Edited by geriatrickid

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is international to international, but I got an email reply from Bangkok Airways customer service confirming that they will check through bags from LPQ-BKK to an international flight with a partner airline.

Edited by Khun Han

• 4 weeks later...

Just to expand on this subject a bit, One World have announced that member airlines will no longer interline bags between airlines on separate tickets:

"From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with our oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:

Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking for flights operated by a oneworld partner, will be accepted for through check-in."

BA has taken this a step further, and will no longer interline bags between it's own flights if they are on separate tickets!