Turtle Pet Shops?

smallmarcuslee

Hellooo, i love turtles and was wondering if there are any pet shops that sells a few species of turtles or exotic pets? I've been to kam thieng and the pet shops near central airport plaza, but can't seem to find any. And one that i've found which is at meechok plaza, has closed according to the owner. I'm looking for turtles other than the common red eared sliders :)

The shops along Arak road often have some but ny advice would be to go to Kad Luang,(Wararot Mkt) they always have buckets of turtles. However and very importantly 99 percent of the turtles there are a species common english name is Malaysian Snail eating turtle. Unfortunatly Almost impossible to keep alive in caprivity. Occasionally mixed in you will see other species that do make a good pet. Recently saw an Asian box turtle in a bucket, a semi aquatic (more aquatic than american box turtle) also seen Leaf turtle and temple turtles.. also good for turtle keeping. PM me for more specific info on this sunject if you desire.

Edited by daoyai

Go back to Kamtieng. Just down from the back of Tesco there are two large tropical fish shops. The one furthest from Tesco (the one not run by a foreigner and not having unbelievably filthy tanks of fish) has red-eared sliders and some baby snapping turtles. They also have a large, adult turtle in the back at the end of the goldfish isle.

Please do not support the people selling turtles at Gad Luang. The temple turtles and box turtles are protected species and its illegal to do what they are doing... all the turtle species in Thailand are under great threat from over collection and habitat loss. Please don't support this cruel trade if you don't want to help them go extinct.

Any turtles you buy from there are likely to die anyway.. as they have been stressed and kept in such poor conditions with no food or water for a long time. I made a mistake of 'rescuing' a box turtle from there... it was covered in leaches and had respiratory infection... and sadly it died. That's what opened my eyes to the cruelty there.

If you like turtles stick to the common and easy to keep red eared sliders... which are actually an invasive species here.. so you could probably go out and find some in ponds around you area.. and they are not protected by law.

The other species you could try are the Chinese Softshell Turtles. They are bred commercially for food in huge numbers and are very inexpensive to buy.. they are very interesting and amusing to watch in an aquarium. You can get the normal olive coloured ones, or the albino ones.. which are stunning. they are super active and interactive with people. just watch your fingers and they like to bite!

The pet shops you went to near airport plaza are the best ones to get these. They only get them when they are available on their order lists. I have put in a request for Chinese Golden Tread turtles, another beautiful and easy to care for captive bred species. (I am friends with one of the shop owners there). I bought some of the Golden Tread turtles off him a few years ago, but had to leave them at my old house in the lake as I moved and had to live in rented for a while.. so no space for them. Miss them!!

At the moment I have an albino softshell, red eared sliders, and wild Asian snail eating turtles that came to my lake on their own (now the rice fields have dried up).. and find all their own snails in there (they will die if you try to keep them confined as they wont eat commercial turtle food or food others than aquatic snails.). I think they will leave again when the rainy season comes.

Never buy the pig noses turtles as they are all wild caught and approaching extinction in the wild. There are no captive breeding to supply the pet trade.. and I suspect the ones you see here have been illegally smuggled to Thailand. Plus they get huge and aggressive when adults.. and get sick easily in captivity.

Hellooo, i love turtles and was wondering if there are any pet shops that sells a few species of turtles or exotic pets?

They're not exotic, they're indigenous.

Remember where you are: you are the exotic one. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai