Motorbikers to stage a 'show of force' against traffic ban

webfact

0404001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Motorcyclists in Bangkok and its peripherals will stage a “show of force” on Tuesday to protest against the recent police order banning them from using 39 bridges and six tunnels in Bangkok.

The “show of force” against the traffic ban was declared and widely shared in the Facebook pages and Line application by motorists angered by the police order.

The protesting motorcyclists will all tie a piece of black cloth on the left mirror or left handle of their bikes and ride on the left traffic lane. This is intended to show that how the traffic during the rush hours will be affected if the bikers follow the ban.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158163

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-05

" In our protest we intend to sow the seeds of confusion so as to perplex other road users as much as possible. This will involve not riding on the wrong side of the road against oncoming traffic because we're too frigging lazy to find a U turn, stopping at a red light for the entire duration of a countdown controlled traffic light without shooting across the junction like a rat up a drainpipe in front of cars with the right of way, allowing large vehicles such as petrol tankers etc to make a tight reversing manouvre with limited visibility without trying to squeeze through the fag paper gap between their rear bumper and an inanimate object and wearing fully approved safety headgear as opposed to construction hats or imitation Third Reich army helmets." said a spokesman for the protest. When asked if the protest methods would include not allowing young children to stand upright on the motorcycle seat between their parents or stopping at pedestrian crossings to allow people already on the crossing to cross safely and not nearly take their arse off with a wing mirror the spokesman said " We feel there's no need to take things too far to make our point".

Edited by mca

This sounds like just another reason for the Junta to take actions to make their single gateway and block or censor FB or Line so they can prevent their people from using them to connect for actions against the gov.

As for this action! The police may have their logic for not wanting motorcycles on these bridges and overpasses. But the police's making checkpoints on the other side just causes even more traffic and presents more chances for an accident to happen. I never quite understood why their are only 2 bridges in Bkk that allow motorcycles to cross the river.

This sounds like just another reason for the Junta to take actions to make their single gateway and block or censor FB or Line so they can prevent their people from using them to connect for actions against the gov.

As for this action! The police may have their logic for not wanting motorcycles on these bridges and overpasses. But the police's making checkpoints on the other side just causes even more traffic and presents more chances for an accident to happen. I never quite understood why their are only 2 bridges in Bkk that allow motorcycles to cross the river.

Imagine a 100cc motorcycle with 3-4 people struggling up the inclines...

Meanwhile 40years old buses and trucks roaming the streets, but thats fine to contribute to the daily smog and reckless driving. They should banning the old cars or the ones with broken lights, parts, etc.

I don't like Songkran especially when you get knocked off your bike by high powered water guns but in this instance....Water canons, in the name of Songkran, let's have some sanook boys and down em and their pathetic coloured protest bands.

Driven responsibly and motorbikes are fine. Most do not drive responsibly. These are not "motorbikes" by and large, they're scooters. The Thais are too lazy to differentiate but they are not powerful enough to be on highways, bridges etc.

So what's the point of bikers paying road tax if they are banned from many of the main arteries connecting Bangkok?

This is just another money grabbing excercise by the biggest mafia in Thailand

I don't like Songkran especially when you get knocked off your bike by high powered water guns but in this instance....Water canons, in the name of Songkran, let's have some sanook boys and down em and their pathetic coloured protest bands.

Driven responsibly and motorbikes are fine. Most do not drive responsibly. These are not "motorbikes" by and large, they're scooters. The Thais are too lazy to differentiate but they are not powerful enough to be on highways, bridges etc.

Inconvenience you do they?

Pesky natives are getting uppity!

0404001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Motorcyclists in Bangkok and its peripherals will stage a “show of force” on Tuesday to protest against the recent police order banning them from using 39 bridges and six tunnels in Bangkok.

The “show of force” against the traffic ban was declared and widely shared in the Facebook pages and Line application by motorists angered by the police order.

The protesting motorcyclists will all tie a piece of black cloth on the left mirror or left handle of their bikes and ride on the left traffic lane. This is intended to show that how the traffic during the rush hours will be affected if the bikers follow the ban.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158163

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2016-04-05

This reminds me of the "strike to rules" action by the bus drivers in Hong Kong. They refused to go over the speed limits and would only stay in the left lane and stop only at the designated bus stops fully out of the lanes of travel before opening the doors. Best traffic flow while it lasted. Most people hoped they would continue their "strike" indefinitely.

So what's the point of bikers paying road tax if they are banned from many of the main arteries connecting Bangkok?

Apparently the amount they pay only covers the left most lanes and doesn't include bridges or tunnels.

Wow, that means that they will be driving correctly for once! It's better than them driving on the sidewalks. I vote that this protest continue for oh, say 10 years or more! thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

If it lasts more than a week the little general may designate live fire zones.

I'm sure if they ever do get it together and carry out this ride to rule, the motorists will soon get fed up of not being able to use the left lane because of it being full of motorbikes. Then there is the added inconvenience of waiting for the insurance guy to turn up to deal with all the motorcyclists knocked off by drivers who are virtually incapable of seeing anything beyond their phones Facebook screen :) . We know motorists are only pissed off because it takes them so long to get anywhere. If they tried driving in one lane instead of using all three or four in the space of 100 yards traffic flow would probably be a lot better :)

I'm sure if they ever do get it together and carry out this ride to rule, the motorists will soon get fed up of not being able to use the left lane because of it being full of motorbikes. Then there is the added inconvenience of waiting for the insurance guy to turn up to deal with all the motorcyclists knocked off by drivers who are virtually incapable of seeing anything beyond their phones Facebook screen smile.png . We know motorists are only pissed off because it takes them so long to get anywhere. If they tried driving in one lane instead of using all three or four in the space of 100 yards traffic flow would probably be a lot better smile.png

Motorists straddling two lanes.....I honk my horn to get past and the Thai wife is mad at me........she's afraid the driver might have a gun ???? I live in BIZZARO world

Trade that bike in for a pickup truck or bicycle...

Did the police set up these new regulations because they did not have enough work? I mean like they have solved all other law braking offences by motorcyclists, so now they don't have any work, so they set up this new regulation so they have work again?

Edited by AlQaholic

Did the police set up these new regulations because they did not have enough work? I mean like they have solved all other law braking offences by motorcyclists, so now they don't have any work, so they set up this new regulation so they have work again?

These regulations have been in place longer than that on crash helmets...

Here the motocy's still use the bridges, and the signs they put there are far to small and should be a few 100 metre in advance. It's just a small flag hanging on the bridge.

I see many motocy's without licenseplates today, also very old ones.

On cold days we have many big groups of cyclists in the area, they also drive on the main roads, they are too important for the frontroads. I guess the whole problem comes from them.

'The protesting motorcyclists will all tie a piece of black cloth on the left mirror ...' So keeping the right hand one clear for the important task of blackhead squeezing. Wonder what they will do if the BiB ever get around to properly doing their job: forcing them to ride on the road, obey the lights, keep pedestrian crossings clear, avoid blocking junctions ...

'The protesting motorcyclists will all tie a piece of black cloth on the left mirror ...' So keeping the right hand one clear for the important task of blackhead squeezing. Wonder what they will do if the BiB ever get around to properly doing their job: forcing them to ride on the road, obey the lights, keep pedestrian crossings clear, avoid blocking junctions ...

Why would they do their job if they also get their salary for doing nothing?

I had high hopes that the general would change the trafficpolice but he doesn't care. They still only pick on the motocycles while i see them driving against traffic on every street.

Thailand is not ready for real policecars who patrol the roads and write fines.

Yesterday for the first time in 14 years i saw them removing a motocy which was parked wrong, a big towtruck came to lift it up. I've never seen them tow away a car, not even giving them a fine.

I had high hopes that the general would change the trafficpolice but he doesn't care. They still only pick on the motocycles while i see them driving against traffic on every street.

Yesterday for the first time in 14 years i saw them removing a motocy which was parked wrong, a big towtruck came to lift it up. I've never seen them tow away a car, not even giving them a fine.

I have seen a couple of towed cars and numerous wheels locked.

If the government is serious, Parliament should increase penalties 10-fold with jail terms for repeated offenses.

I have seen a couple of towed cars and numerous wheels locked.

If the government is serious, Parliament should increase penalties 10-fold with jail terms for repeated offenses.

When you see cars with locked wheels i guess it's done by the owner of the car so it won't get stolen.

I have seen that a few times but then the car was on private property, not on the middle of a road where it's causing congestion.

If the government was serious they would let policecars patrol the city and fine everybody who let's his car block traffic. Especially all mainroads should stay clear of parked cars.

But i'm sure nothing will be done and also the motorbikers will just do what they want, with or without a licenseplate. And the cyclists will also continue to cycle on the mainroads in big groups.

Trade that bike in for a pickup truck or bicycle...

you cant snatch bags from a pick up truck and a bicycle just isn't macho enough.