Driving license renewal

twozeds

Would appreciate some advice and info if possible. My current 5 year Thai license expires on the 29th of June, I'm scheduled for an operation on the 24th of June. A few questions i hope you can help me with:

1. Would i be better off going to renew it before my operation on the 24th.

2.I've heard but don't know how true it is, that if you go before it expires you get another 5 years but if you go after the said expiry date you get nearly 6 years?

3.If i do go after the operation, how long after the expiry date do i have to renew?

Many thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

petedk,

I will be renewing my 5 year license in Aug ,5 months after it expired .

I'd like to know what tests did you have to take ,if any.

I will provide photocopies of old 5 year licenses (car & bike) ,passport and visa pages plus residence certificate,

have i missed anything out.

Will be applying at my local office up near Khon Kaen

Thanks

1.: You can take your time. There is no penalty during one year after expiry.

2. This rule was definitely existing (expiry date being your birthday). No idea whether is has changed.

3. see 1. One year without additional effort

Renew it the day after your birthday to get six years, or is it the day before, someone will know. Cheers

The rule that I know and applied for me: go a day or some after your birthday/expiry date and get (almost) 6 years.

Mine, 22 March 2012 to 12 March 2018:

post-99794-0-88088000-1462341264_thumb.j

Renew it the day after your birthday to get six years, or is it the day before, someone will know. Cheers

The rule that I know and applied for me: go a day or some after your birthday/expiry date and get (almost) 6 years.

attachicon.giffuehrerscheine.jpg

Was that for a renewal or for the initial five year license?

I was under the impression that one can get almost six years from the initial license, when moving from the one year license, which I did, but the renewal does not provide that option, and, instead, generates a five year license.

Might be. My DL is the first "5 yr" license after the temporary.

Still can get almost 6 years. Just take into account that dlt allows late renewal, but that will also mean driving without valid DL.

System now in Rayong is as follows.

First go to building 3. It's the open area buildind to the right of building 2 which is next to the drive through car tax booth.

Usually the building is full with the queue out on to the road.

There they check your paper work and hand you the application form.

You fill in your full name but you are told to join the queue again and hand it back in.

Paperwork is checked again and it has a pm time on it to return, again to building 3.

At 1 to 1,30 all the new licence applicants are led off somewhere, don't follow them. After another short wait you hand in the paperwork, still building 3 and then do a colour test, traffic light style.

You then go to building 2 and hand in your paperwork again, there will be a small slip of paper clipped to your paperwork, issued at building 3, with a number on it, keep it and go to watch the video and listen to one guy talking for another half hour. In the video room sign the book next to your number.

Go to the room where they print your licence and wai till they call the number on your slip.

Pay for your licence, 505 baht and you will get your paperwork back with another number. This number is for your photograph in one of the two booths.

When your number comes up go to the booth hand over your paperwork and 100 baht.

Get photograph taken and wait outside the booth until the machine spits out your new licence.

If the first building (3) is quick, around 2 hours, you should have time to go to Rayong beach area for lunch before returning at 1pm.

Hey just noticed you and i share the same birthday clap2.gif

Will let you know how i get on cheers

Hey just noticed you and i share the same birthday clap2.gif

Will let you know how i get on cheers

6 years on mine, got it this week. Expires 2022 Rayong. Expired a month ago.

Archived