PM asks whether anyone wants a bowl or a garlic to drive away 'ghosts in farang's houses'

webfact

Or maybe you just didn't comprehend what you read. He was talking about Thai fugitives living abroad, not expats in Thailand.

Ye'p I read it that way also, but it can be interpreted just as cyberfalang said, "ghost's that have taken refuge in falang houses"

No mention of over seas. also can a so-called falang be a falang in his/her own country? nit picking ok ok my bad.

Now if you would be so kind as clearly your mind is in sync with this plonker, please explain to us with far less in common with your hero the PM unlike yourself, the bit were he say's, there's a lot of weird things but he can not do anything about them because it's about democracy...

go on mate give it a crack, please......cheesy.gif

And sure it's ok if you think you can manage it, then you can even use some big boy words as well.

There is a concept called Point of View. So yes, to a Thai, a farang is a farang wherever they reside.

BTW uneducated and vocally lazy Thais often pronounce "r" as "l" . Up to you, i suppose.

Are you going to tackle the "weird things he cab not do became of democracy" or just avoid it?

Thank god we have international media and the Internet implemented here in times of more freedom. This clown would turn this place into a North Korean like state if he could.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you going to tackle the "weird things he cab not do became of democracy" or just avoid it?

Thank god we have international media and the Internet implemented here in times of more freedom. This clown would turn this place into a North Korean like state if he could.

Why would I or anyone else try to explain the PM's strange comments, when his meaning could be distorted due to cultural differences or simply lost in translation?

BTW gross exaggeration doesn't add to the argument.

This farang just gave youngest daughter $1000 AUD towards changing airfare booking from Phuket to Bali.

Her and two friends are changing after my insistence the place is shot.

It's now wrong to prop up this guy.

And the article about the British girl and boyfriend and subsequent patsy men for their murders ( and in her case rape also) was enough to get one of friends mothers to match my offer and the whole Thailand adventure cancelled.

Bali now will be ( for many ) the new destination.

Farangs as he likes to call us , are also able to spook your economy .

Next sanctions with some clarity on his AA .

Might take a year.

Like I said his real spectre at Large TS must be relishing watching these people shoot themselves in foot at every turn.

Go ahead and cause a rebellion .

We Farangs have the popcorn at ready.

cheesy.gif

"He admitted that there were many weird things these days but he could not do much about them because this is about democracy". cheesy.gif blink.png facepalm.gif

Poetry, pure poetry, I mean this man has a gift, it's amazing to say the least.facepalm.gif

Geewizz fella's do ya think that the fanboy's on TVF could help us out with this one? I mean because they have a clear understanding of how his mind works as they are clearly on the same page as this wonder of the world and gift to humanity, freedom and democracy... C'mon you guy's please explain this onecheesy.gif

Would you prefer monosyllabic words?

No, truthful, factual words will suffice.

No, no! You mustn't scare them away.

Come on halloween et al, monosyllabic worlds will do just fine if that's your limit!

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha jokingly asked members of the media whether any of them want a bowl or a garlic to drive away “ghosts which have taken refuge in farang’s houses”.

I would love for the journos to reply thus:

No Mr "PM", we would like free and fair elections to be held ASAP. Now, do you want a bowl or garlic to chase away the thought of that?

Judging by the Prime Minister`s remarks it does display the fact that Farlang expats are still considered as complete outsiders and will never be an acceptable part of Thai society. Or may be I`m reading too much into this?

Don't tell that to the foreigners who think they are more thai than the thais all because they can speak a bit of the local lingo and have a Thai partner often referred to as the TGF or TW.

Judging by the Prime Minister`s remarks it does display the fact that Farlang expats are still considered as complete outsiders and will never be an acceptable part of Thai society. Or may be I`m reading too much into this?

Probably, it seemed to be a laboured joke with Thaksin the "ghost" and "Farang's houses" being the countries Taksin resides in. Don't believe it was directed against Thai Visa habitues.

.............red bowls........

...will they ever be able to eradicate that cancer (ghost).....

...it did not translate well...or the shortcomings of the translator....

...referring to 'the ghost of' (you know who)..... taking refuge 'in the foreigners' houses' (overseas)

Why would I or anyone else try to explain the PM's strange comments, when his meaning could be distorted due to cultural differences or simply lost in translation?

BTW gross exaggeration doesn't add to the argument.

So no then.

Good to know.

There is a concept called Point of View. So yes, to a Thai, a farang is a farang wherever they reside.

BTW uneducated and vocally lazy Thais often pronounce "r" as "l" . Up to you, i suppose.

Off topic, I know, but the error is that you're taking the romanised approximation of the Thai letter 'ร' and assigning your language's phonological rule to this approximation.

It is a common error of farangs who think they know the Thai language better than Thais, but there is no 'r' in Thai - there is a 'rolled-r' or 'trilled-r' sound—and this is romanised as an English 'r'—but it is not, nor should ever be, pronounced as an English 'r'. According to Thai phonological rules in informal speech, or if one cannot produce the 'trilled-r' sound, the 'ร' is to be pronounced as an 'l'.

So, when you hear Thais say something like 'a-loi', they are speaking their language perfectly informally, not your misinterpretation of what you think their language is. And when you have a go at someone for writing 'farang' phonetically (according to Thai phonological rules), while incorrectly accusing all Thais of being uneducated and vocally lazy, it's not a good look for you, but up to you I suppose...

While still employed in Oz I took informal Thai language lessons from a Thai couple, both university educated. When I asked the husband why he pronounced an L for written R his wife smacked him across the head and said "Because he is a lazy bastard. If you are going to learn the language, learn to speak like an educated person, not a peasant." or something very similar.

It seems neither person knew of your rolled R rule. I will inform them of the error of their ways ASAP, along with all those expats I know that bother to speak Thai, and my Thai family, friends and aquaintances.

Good to see that the PM has a sense of humor and that he can see the funny side of life

all the while zinging the man in Dubai, being a PM in Thailand is like being a helpless chicken

in a viper's pit, everybody want to be you, and if they can't, have a piece of you......

Prayut is the viper in the pit and the Thai people are the chickens.

And the chickens are forbidden to have a piece of him.

That alone can give Prayut a good sense of humor. wai2.gif

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

I like his style?

Is he talking about jump/push??

I would rather prayut sense of humour

than any pheuthai politicians any day.

????????

BTW

If your going to blame anyone for Thailand

issues, blame Facebook & the internet.?

Because 30 years ago Thailand was a peaceful holiday destination.??