The Fine Art of Clearing a Five and a Half Year Overstay

I would be interested in one detail: which agents tried to rip you off in Penang?

Can't remember the names, but the first one is on the right, just past 7-11, as you walk along Chulia Street AWAY from the ferry port. The agency had four computer terminals and internet access. They arranged visas (150 Ringit for a tourist visa + 40 Ringit agency fee) and operated a van service to Pedang Besar / Sadao.

The second agency was on the other side of the road, slightly further away from the ferry port. There are several cheap guesthouses in this area, along with a few bars.

I wouldn't say these agencies tried to rip us off. I think they just saw an opportunity and took it. Had we not mentioned the overstay I'm sure they wouldn't have attempted to charge extra.

Can't remember the names ?

Sounds like an excuse.

There are very few "agents" in Penang and they are well known and have memorable names.

I would be interested in one detail: which agents tried to rip you off in Penang?

Can't remember the names, but the first one is on the right, just past 7-11, as you walk along Chulia Street AWAY from the ferry port. The agency had four computer terminals and internet access. They arranged visas (150 Ringit for a tourist visa + 40 Ringit agency fee) and operated a van service to Pedang Besar / Sadao.

The second agency was on the other side of the road, slightly further away from the ferry port. There are several cheap guesthouses in this area, along with a few bars.

I wouldn't say these agencies tried to rip us off. I think they just saw an opportunity and took it. Had we not mentioned the overstay I'm sure they wouldn't have attempted to charge extra.

Sounds like an excuse.

There are very few "agents" in Penang and they are well known and have memorable names.

I see your earlier question re: TM30. Have I got the number wrong? I don't know the names or numbers of these forms. They're not something I tend to worry about. I'm sure UbonJoe knows the correct name / number.

You say there are very few visa agents in George Town. We found three in the space of about five minutes; all were within no more than 100 yards of each other. Perhaps they're not true agents in the sense of having contacts at the consulate, but they'll take your money and do your visa. IMO there must be dozens of places like this along Chulia Street. I reckon most of those cheap guesthouses and reggae bars just past 7-11 will offer visa and travel services.

Sounds like an excuse.

I see your earlier question re: TM30. Have I got the number wrong? I don't know the names or numbers of these forms. They're not something I tend to worry about. I'm sure UbonJoe knows the correct name / number.

You say there are very few visa agents in George Town. We found three in the space of about five minutes; all were within no more than 100 yards of each other. Perhaps they're not true agents in the sense of having contacts at the consulate, but they'll take your money and do your visa. IMO there must be dozens of places like this along Chulia Street. I reckon most of those cheap guesthouses and reggae bars just past 7-11 will offer visa and travel services.

It would seem that not much is "known" and what is not known is made up -----------------

You have still failed to explain why immigration officers at the airport require a TM30 to be completed --------------did you complete one ?

You say there are very few visa agents in George Town. We found three in the space of about five minutes; all were within no more than 100 yards of each other.

There used to be visa agents every 10 yards along Lebuh Chulia. Every Guest House, shop, hotel seemed to offer a 'visa service' until the Consulate in Penang decreed a few years ago that all applications had to be done in person.

They were a handy, fast, easy to use service, which cut out the need to use Penang's rip off taxis, so it looks like the agents are back in business which is no bad thing.

Sorry, but what an utterly ridiculous attempt to create drama over something as common as paying for your overstay before the 20th.

Childish, but not unexpected.

The drama was real. Very real.

When I met the guy on the morning of March 18 he told me he'd been having nightmares for the previous three days. He was terrified of going to the airport. He needed three beers at the airport to calm his nerves.

We intended to go to the Thai consulate in Penang on the Monday. He couldn't do it. He said he was having a panic attack. This was why we used an agent.

Getting back in to Thailand was always going to be the hard part. Even though we arrived at Thai immigration after 9pm, the guy was dripping with sweat. I could see his hand shaking as he filled in the TM30.

===

To suggest -- as you've done -- that clearing a five and a half year overstay is a common occurrence is pure idiocy and shows your pygmified knowledge of these things. The women at Hat Yai airport said it was longest overstay they'd ever seen.

Oh I have no doubt the guy was nervous; I would've been too. But that doesn't change the fact that all perceived drama was in your own heads or of your own doing (i.e. the completely unnecessary bribe and not responding the immigration staff in a proper manner). Let me stress that I have no problem with you sharing the story – reading about other people's experiences is what Thai Visa is all about – but trying to pass it off as something extraordinary when it clearly is the same stuff countless people have done already, is just plain silly. The fact of the matter is that the length of overstay hasn't been a concern up until now, so there was never any question whether or not he would be allowed back in Thailand as long as he left before the 20th.

Any trip can be filled with drama if you try hard enough, but that doesn't make it inherently dramatic. I wish you all the best in your future shenanigans.

You seem to have a big chip on your shoulder. You sound like a failed author!

If you don't like what I've written, why not just move on and creep round someone else?

I see lots of threads and posts on ThaiVisa I dislike, but never feel the need to creep, stalk, complain or whinge.

You say there are very few visa agents in George Town. We found three in the space of about five minutes; all were within no more than 100 yards of each other.

There used to be visa agents every 10 yards along Lebuh Chulia. Every Guest House, shop, hotel seemed to offer a 'visa service' until the Consulate in Penang decreed a few years ago that all applications had to be done in person.

They were a handy, fast, easy to use service, which cut out the need to use Penang's rip off taxis, so it looks like the agents are back in business which is no bad thing.

We got the visa done at a FOREX place. I was changing 2000 Baht when the guy asked if we wanted visas.

As stated above, I reckon there are dozens of places along Chulia Street offering these services. I didn't know things were different in the past.

This was actually the first time I'd been to Penang. Prior to this I'd only made short trips from Betong and Narathiwat.

Well there is a simple answer to their questions : I did it because that was the rule at the time and the only penalty was a 20k Baht fine so I didn't give a <deleted> about the fine.

Anything else is completely superfluous.

As far as I'm concerned an answer of 'up to me' would have been quite sufficient.

Well there is a simple answer to their questions : I did it because that was the rule at the time and the only penalty was a 20k Baht fine so I didn't give a <deleted> about the fine.

As far as I'm concerned an answer of 'up to me' would have been quite sufficient.

I actually sympathize with that answer, but it is undiplomatic, and unsuitable in a Thai context. You need to play the game. I would say something like "I was very preoccupied with personal problems, and just slipped into overstay. I have been feeling bad about it for a long time, and wanted to be legal again, but only now got myself together enough to do something about it." If shown the 2014 announcement of upcoming blacklisting, I would pretend to be horrified, say that I had no idea of those rules, and throw myself on the mercy of the immigration officials. Sure, it is a game, but it makes the immigration officials feel good, and can affect what they put in the computer about the overstay. While that does not immediately matter, it could still become relevant later.

• Like 2

Well that's all moot point now for any stay in excess of 90 days barring the reports of persons now clearing without any ban maybe because they look so decrepit the Immigration folks figure it easier than to have to deal with them.

I actually sympathize with that answer, but it is undiplomatic, and unsuitable in a Thai context. You need to play the game. I would say something like "I was very preoccupied with personal problems, and just slipped into overstay. I have been feeling bad about it for a long time, and wanted to be legal again, but only now got myself together enough to do something about it." If shown the 2014 announcement of upcoming blacklisting, I would pretend to be horrified, say that I had no idea of those rules, and throw myself on the mercy of the immigration officials. Sure, it is a game, but it makes the immigration officials feel good, and can affect what they put in the computer about the overstay. While that does not immediately matter, it could still become relevant later.

Immigration officials are not diplomats, no level of diplomacy is required if you know what you're doing.

Remember, there is no Thai context - they are dealing with foreigners - you're not supposed to be a Thai, this is no game.

There's no need to 'beat around the bush with them' - tell it like it is - 'I did it because your government allowed it and I took full advantage of the situation' would have been a perfectly acceptable reply, the penalty was a 20k fine.

They already know this, they're not stupid and there was no possibility of any penalty other than the 20k Baht fine prior to March 20th.

As for their bullsh!t about blacklisting - that's exactly what it was.

• Like 2

Immigration officials are not diplomats, no level of diplomacy is required if you know what you're doing.

Remember, there is no Thai context - they are dealing with foreigners - you're not supposed to be a Thai, this is no game.

There's no need to 'beat around the bush with them' - tell it like it is - 'I did it because your government allowed it and I took full advantage of the situation' would have been a perfectly acceptable reply, the penalty was a 20k fine.

They already know this, they're not stupid and there was no possibility of any penalty other than the 20k Baht fine prior to March 20th.

As for their bullsh!t about blacklisting - that's exactly what it was.

Of course the blacklisting stuff was BS. It is supposed to scare you. I would have pretended to be scared. Unlike you, I would be worried about what they put in the computer about the overstay. Yes, the officials know some overstayers were taking advantage of the rules as they existed. Some officials will have been pretty cool with that; others are upset at the disrespect shown to the Thai system. For Thais, face is important. When future contact with immigration may depend on what is already in their system about my prior overstay, I want the officials to feel good, and enter a positive report in the computer. Better to be seen by the officials as naive and stupid than a smart arse.

• Like 1

For the past weeks mostly good overstay stories and now this one.

Who really cares, not me.

So the Lady was a biatch with questions, but she was right. If not for the new rules he/you would still be on overstay.

Don't complain, because you/him made a 4.5 year mistake.

6 years ago I was on a 4 years overstay, due to circumstances the first few months and then just let it rise.

Now I am on legal retirement visa.

Just another story, what is your point really coffee1.gif

There is NO point, and why would he want to prove it to ubonjoe? I think UJ may say exactly what others are saying......where is the fine art?

It looked completely normal to me, but I suppose one can inject as much 'excitement/drama' into an event as he wishes to. Not naming places, etc., is just drama queen stuff. Post 20th March it may have been a little more dramatic, but ho hum.....yawn!!