NDM launches campaign to reject Thai charter at crowded book fair

webfact

NDM Launches Campaign to Reject Charter at Crowded Book Fair
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14599365111459936588l.jpg
New Democracy Movement member Rangsiman Rome, in white, hands out bookmarks as part of their campaign against the draft charter launched Wednesday at the Queen Sirikit Convention Center in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Student activist group New Democracy Movement chose a crowded public event on a national holiday today in the capital to open their campaign urging the public to reject the draft charter.

The group chose the popular National Book Fair held at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, which was packed with visitors Wednesday on Chakri Day, to kick off their “Vote No, Don’t Accept an Unchosen Future” campaign, which will continue until the referendum is held.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1459936511&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-04-07

maybe these students activist could put forward their own charter or at least let everyone know what it is they don't like

student fees excluded as that is something for them to take up with the next elected government if they think they are hard done by, I have no opinion on the matter that I would post here

maybe these students activist could put forward their own charter or at least let everyone know what it is they don't like

student fees excluded as that is something for them to take up with the next elected government if they think they are hard done by, I have no opinion on the matter that I would post here

Everyone does know what it is they don't like, seemingly with the exception of your good self.

Everyone does know what it is they don't like, seemingly with the exception of your good self.

please carry on and explain it to us all, if you can manage to stay on topic I will be impressed

maybe we should just have an election right now and let PTP sort it out ....right lol

please carry on and explain it to us all, if you can manage to stay on topic I will be impressed

maybe we should just have an election right now and let PTP sort it out ....right lol

"If you can manage to stay on topic I will be impressed", he says, before bringing in the PTP.

I don't need to explain it to everyone, that was my point. It may have been too tricky a concept for you to grasp but there you go. Feel free to think you are enjoying a good laugh at my expense, however...

"If you can manage to stay on topic I will be impressed", he says, before bringing in the PTP.

I don't need to explain it to everyone, that was my point. It may have been too tricky a concept for you to grasp but there you go. Feel free to think you are enjoying a good laugh at my expense, however...

well thanks for explaining all those very valid points, just another post wasted on nothing, try to focus on the topic and not me, I have my own thoughts here and voice them - you however comment on me and not the topic.....my good self :)

Perhaps you should try clicking the "read more" link and you would be better informed, too hard? OK then here you go.

"The group highlighted what they see as seven flaws of the charter in literature they distributed: permitting a non-MP prime minister, an appointed senate, ongoing use of the junta’s absolute power, reduced social benefits, an unelected committee empowered to seize control from a civilian government, placing civil servants above citizens and a less representative district MP election process."

Overt suppression of these students will only get people thinking about the points they are making and make it more likely that the undecided will vote against it. The smart move would be to completely ignore this, but since when has this junta known how to make a smart move?

Perhaps you should try clicking the "read more" link and you would be better informed, too hard? OK then here you go.

"The group highlighted what they see as seven flaws of the charter in literature they distributed: permitting a non-MP prime minister, an appointed senate, ongoing use of the junta’s absolute power, reduced social benefits, an unelected committee empowered to seize control from a civilian government, placing civil servants above citizens and a less representative district MP election process."

*smedly disappears*

Students - people who still think they know everything. It is often a shock when they actually get a job, even in their chosen field, to find how little they know.

Students used to appear at our plant during uni holidays (commonly called xmas beetles). Their arrogance rarely lasted long. One attached a note to a 200 litre drum with the formula for drum surface area to calculate the contents with dipstick, to which someone added 'Or tap on the side.'

Edited by halloween

Students - people who still think they know everything. It is often a shock when they actually get a job, even in their chosen field, to find how little they know.

Students used to appear at our plant during uni holidays (commonly called xmas beetles). Their arrogance rarely lasted long. One attached a note to a 200 litre drum with the formula for drum surface area to calculate the contents with dipstick, to which someone added 'Or tap on the side.'

Trust you to have a condescending, snide opinion. Just like the Thai elite you so desperately wish you were part of.

People who still think they know everything - and your analogy is tap the side of drum to determine volume. Brilliant oxymoron.

And the point is???

*smedly disappears*

He and billd776 can now lovingly wipe the egg off each other's faces!

*smedly disappears*

He and billd776 can now lovingly wipe the egg off each other's faces!

Hopefully. Or just continue their reign of "But Thaksin/stupid students" early posts then bolting when the facts hit them.

Prayut should applaud these students activism.

He has said that although he may disapprove, criticism over the draft constitution is a basic rights of the people.

Regardless, Election Commissioner Somchai Srisuthiyakorn will be the first to complain. To avoid violating the junta’s ban on political gatherings, anyone who wants to take a stand for or against the proposed constitution should visit the commission to register the details of where, when and how they plan to express themselves. Not doing so will risk arrest. I don't envision that the NDM followed such a procedure.

Trust you to have a condescending, snide opinion. Just like the Thai elite you so desperately wish you were part of.

your class hatred remarks about the Thai elite show the sort of low life you come from. Singapore has an elite government and it is very good. Likewise an elite government in Thailand would be far better than the PTP

I don't think they know everything, but for sure they know a lot more than the majority of the Thai population which is uneducated.

your class hatred remarks about the Thai elite show the sort of low life you come from. Singapore has an elite government and it is very good. Likewise an elite government in Thailand would be far better than the PTP

But last time I checked Singapore didn't consist for the biggest part of the population out of poor farmers.

Seriously? You disapprove of people exercising their right to voice a concern?

The onus is not on those who do not accept the military's revised constitution to come up with an alternative.

You are the first to complain and whinge about irresponsible Thai youth, and yet when they undertake a responsible mature approach, you have conniptions. What is so upsetting when young people take an interest in their future and that of the country they will be living in? You want to live under a totalitarian regime and that's your prerogative. Many people prefer their freedom.

well thanks for explaining all those very valid points, just another post wasted on nothing, try to focus on the topic and not me, I have my own thoughts here and voice them - you however comment on me and not the topic.....my good self smile.png

Your condescending post demonstrates your hypocrisy. You make clear that you have your own thoughts and voice them. However, your comments are that the people who do not accept the new law which is being forced upon them, should be quiet and accept that document: They are not allowed their own thoughts, nor the right to voice them.

Seriously, you should be ashamed of yourself. This isn't about the PTP or your beloved bogeyman. it's about a group who executed a military coup and who now intend to maintain control. Is that clear enough?

"Our" plant? I was unaware that you owned a commercial enterprise. previously you had informed the forum that in your past professional (sic) career as a taxi driver you were were an expert and could comment on Thai drivers.

Is your negative comment about students motivated by your resentment at not having a formal education, or do you actually know anything about the students who are involved in this activity? Do you know any of these students, or their backgrounds? Are you aware of their longstanding volunteer work and community participation? Please let us all know. Or is this just another instance of bitterness because those kids have the courage to make a stand and it scares so many foreign cowards who are hiding out in Thailand?

In respect to your crude put down of someone writing down a formula, so what if he did? I did too. I can wipe my posterior with what you earn in a year, so it seems my need to maintain accuracy didn't hurt. Tapping the side of the drum is an idiotic and inaccurate method to measure the volume. It's why companies with employees who are that sloppy have losses and are forced to cut costs by laying off "experienced" employees. I don't want to fly on an airplane where the fuel attendant measures the fuel load by tapping on a wing. I don't think you want your drugs manufactured by a company where the measurements are made by eye or tapping on a barrel. Never ridicule someone who places a premium on accuracy and doing the job right, because a person who hires those type of people and respects them for their care will speak up.

But last time I checked Singapore didn't consist for the biggest part of the population out of poor farmers.

And who had such a distrust of the military with respect to coups that the guards that protect the president is made up of Gurkhas..... who had no allegiance to the army.

It was not the "elite" of Singapore but really the driving force of one leader who basically drove corruption out of the system that exists today for the most part. Thai elite and the military are as corrupt as anyone in Thailand generally speaking.

At what point has anyone been given the opportunity to propose an alternative charter?

Yes maybe that would be a good idea.

The crux of democracy is that sometimes you get a government you don't like, but you also have the opportunity to get rid of that government without resorting to the threat or use of violence (and all the problems that arise from such methods).

It's messy, that's why authoritarian, mono-maniacal, "tidy", narrow, borderline autistic minds don't like it.

That's OK, in a democracy, you can express such views because most normal people see and understand what sort of a person you are, and you never get near power.

You don't like democracy, we get it, you can stop posting now.

Or, if you like, you can carry on. Nice isn't it?

"Our" plant? I was unaware that you owned a commercial enterprise. previously you had informed the forum that in your past professional (sic) career as a taxi driver you were were an expert and could comment on Thai drivers.

Is your negative comment about students motivated by your resentment at not having a formal education, or do you actually know anything about the students who are involved in this activity? Do you know any of these students, or their backgrounds? Are you aware of their longstanding volunteer work and community participation? Please let us all know. Or is this just another instance of bitterness because those kids have the courage to make a stand and it scares so many foreign cowards who are hiding out in Thailand?

In respect to your crude put down of someone writing down a formula, so what if he did? I did too. I can wipe my posterior with what you earn in a year, so it seems my need to maintain accuracy didn't hurt. Tapping the side of the drum is an idiotic and inaccurate method to measure the volume. It's why companies with employees who are that sloppy have losses and are forced to cut costs by laying off "experienced" employees. I don't want to fly on an airplane where the fuel attendant measures the fuel load by tapping on a wing. I don't think you want your drugs manufactured by a company where the measurements are made by eye or tapping on a barrel. Never ridicule someone who places a premium on accuracy and doing the job right, because a person who hires those type of people and respects them for their care will speak up.

Your inherent ignorance and snobbery surface again. My previous occupation, for which I have formal education qualifications in electrical engineering, was 10 years in chemical plant and 20 in state-owned coal-fired power stations, cut short by a disabling medical condition. My current casual occupation is taxi driver. Not only did I know the students, supervising and working closely with them for 6-8 weeks, I was one once. Of course, I was referring to engineering students, who have little time for volunteer work or political activism, they are too busy with the demands of a real education funded by employer who expects some return.

You can shove what you earn in your own posterior while you try to understand that sometimes the level of accuracy provided by a formula is simply not required, as in this case where a low level triggered a re-order. Calibration of dosing pumps is not done by dipping a drum - much more accurate supply side measuring cylinders are used. You could also realise that the professional albeit non-formally qualified people you work with may be just as, if not more, intelligent than yourself, but without the opportunity or motivation for a formal education. Has that ever occurred to you?

Edited by halloween

you don't have democracy without the proper structures in place to support it, Thai governments have in the past had many opportunities to improve things but have failed over and over because greed and self interest rules in Thailand

The USA had several bloody civil wars until a group of smart folks sat down with good intent and the Constitution was born, it set structures in place that allowed America to develop to what it is today

Thailand needs a group of smart folks with good intention to do the same and put an end to the constant power abuse and thieving by creating a structure (constitution) that makes it very difficult to do, stiff laws and penalties along with agencies that are given the clout to deal with it and finally a court system to convict and lock them up, is the current government capable of delivering that - well yes they are.................but is that their intention ? - remains to be seen