Expats in Thailand: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

webfact

Some surprisingly defensive comments here. If the description of those ugly foreigners doesn't match you then why worry?

Spot on, Crash ! biggrin.png

As I read through the thread, I thought the very same thing and realized it (the thread, not the article) probably doesn't reflect the expat community in Thailand as a whole, but it sure says something about the majority of posters on this particular Forum ...

Edited by Yann55

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"But then you have the minority whose actions can tarnish the reputations of everyone else: the prejudiced, the White Knights, the Cheap Charlies.

In short: the ".

Why is a White Knight an ?

I Googled the definition and came up with:

"White knight
noun
noun: white knight; plural noun: white knights
  1. a person or thing that comes to someone's aid".
Edited by losername

Cheap charlies exist the world over. But the worst are those who don't even spend money on themselves. I know such a guy, one of the richest in the very rich city that I normally live in, who has worn the same sports-coat for 20 or more years, who goes to an Old Folks' Home to play snooker on a Saturday morning between 10 and 12 cos it is free at that time, who freezes rather than turn on the heating. (I suppose in LoS he would melt rather than turn on the AC.)

But he does have one feature that suggests deviance: he has been spotted by a neighbour walking around in his house wearing a negligé. Yet again, that is an activity that costs nothing, except for the buying of the negligé at the charity store.

So what, if he is happy with his life, whom are you to judge? Does it effect your happiness/life in any way?

what size is your neglige 55555555

Further post in breach of Forum Rules removed.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

"Cheap Charlie" is often a derogatory term used to characterize a "farang" who doesn't dish out money freely to Thais and cater to their sob stories of family hardship. A farang who doesn't like picking up the tab for everyone all the time is referred to as "Cheap Charlie" by Thais. A farang who merely meets the agreed price for sex without additional tip is called "Cheap Charlie" by Thai girls. The Thai newspaper should be clear about this being a derogatory expression and why.

Your point is taken, but does it really matter that the people who don't get to leech off you think you're a cheap charlie? I'm a cheap charlie amongst the manipulators and smooth operators, but I'll give the shirt off my back to genuinely nice people, and I have. I've picked up tabs without a thought if there's no reason not to, it's usually insignificant, and the people are usually nowhere near as well off as me, and I qualify for poverty status in the US. I've helped out some wonderful Thai girls, devout Buddhists, with rent when they were out of work, they had taken care of me when I first came to Thailand and had major problems including losing my wallet and credit cards. For me, I know about all the attitudes and name calling, but those people will never be in my social circle in any way that I have to care what they think. I think I'll get a T shirt that says "Cheap Charlie and proud of it." That should keep the flies away. 5555555

I was at a bar the other night with my girl having a quiet drink, I am a fairly regular customer at this bar and I usually pay at the end of the night and leave a tip. This time it was a new girl that served me and wanted me to pay straight away, so I paid but didn't leave a tip as it was out first drink. This loud mouthed Farang? expat? commented I was miserable, a cheap Charlie and went on and no and got louder and louder until he left. ( I might add I do buy a girl a drink from time to time and the same with tips, also I live here and am not rich, and have a fixed amount to spend each week so I can't afford to leave tips every time I buy a drink ) If he didn't leave when he did, he was getting very close to getting smacked in the mouth.

He is one of the ugly farangs that live here ! Needed to get himself a nice girl or boy? for the night, it might cheer him up a bit, he certainly needed something !

Its amusing to read that "cheap charlie's" seems the be the topic most have responded to on this thread. ;-)

For what its worth, some more definitions of the Cheap Charlie are as follows:

- generally dresses like a bum, especially when going to a government office (shorts, grubby t-shirt/singlet, flip flops)

- haggles and fusses every price they get, down a few baht (even though they can afford the price)

- hangs about in cheap beer bars or sits on the stoop at 7-11 drinking Leo

- never tips for services or when a Thai does something over and above (i.e. a parking guard helps you to find a good parking spot)

- Speaks Thai like a tuk-tuk driver. Or never even bothers to learn some Thai at all.

- Routinely overstays his visa or works without a work permit

Let the slagging begin. ;-)

I was at a bar the other night with my girl having a quiet drink, I am a fairly regular customer at this bar and I usually pay at the end of the night and leave a tip. This time it was a new girl that served me and wanted me to pay straight away, so I paid but didn't leave a tip as it was out first drink. This loud mouthed Farang? expat? commented I was miserable, a cheap Charlie and went on and no and got louder and louder until he left. ( I might add I do buy a girl a drink from time to time and the same with tips, also I live here and am not rich, and have a fixed amount to spend each week so I can't afford to leave tips every time I buy a drink ) If he didn't leave when he did, he was getting very close to getting smacked in the mouth.

He is one of the ugly farangs that live here ! Needed to get himself a nice girl or boy? for the night, it might cheer him up a bit, he certainly needed something !

I can relate to your situation & experience, as this being the norm.

There appears to always be some loud mouth guy wanting to make himself look superior to the ladies he's there to get on the cheap, by insulting another foreigner for not providing more,

which if they fall for and oblige;

he most likely will later take credit for with the lady which sucked up to him for his suppose bravery.

I've found a quick beat to the ground for the load mouth,

helps him to achieve what he was after,

just not leaving him in a healthy state to truly enjoy his later adventure;

as he had planned for,

a commitment to never return to the dive hole that harbor these loud mouths,

will help me in the end...

"Cheap Charlie" is often a derogatory term used to characterize a "farang" who doesn't dish out money freely to Thais and cater to their sob stories of family hardship. A farang who doesn't like picking up the tab for everyone all the time is referred to as "Cheap Charlie" by Thais. A farang who merely meets the agreed price for sex without additional tip is called "Cheap Charlie" by Thai girls. The Thai newspaper should be clear about this being a derogatory expression and why.

It varies a lot in Thailand. Some will call you cheap charlie if you don't pay the buffet bill for everyone at the table, while others call you cheap charlie if you don't make your wife's family wealthy with luxury houses, cars and money.

And then there are those who trust that you will gradually build up the family successfully over time.

"And then there are those who trust that you will gradually build up the family successfully over time."

Would that more families were of this latter variety. I suspect a great many of us would do just this, if left to our own devices. Moreover, we would likely do so without even being asked. In Thailand, it is often not the fall, but the relentless bombardment of irony preceding the fall that kills you. The sudden stop at the bottom, becomes merely a formality.

Thailand is another place where there will always be a "shortcut" that is preferable to the more direct path. A fundamental aspect of humankind, taken to the extreme here that impacts both thinking, and on a more observable level, transit. In fairness, a great many foreigners have crafted similar mindsets in their own inimitable fashions.

From absurdity, there can simply be no escape, as it is pandemic in proportion. Perhaps the only useful observation that can be made here (or for that matter, anywhere) would be that they who do not put forth the effort to hone their senses of humor, fare the worst. Humor is perhaps not a cure-all, but it is a key element of acceptance, and the only useful weapon granted us by the universe, for the purposes of self defense.

IOW, Thailand was a nicer place before it got "discovered". Once the "gringo" wrap gets laid on, it's end of story.

For us. For them - well, I don't think they're gonna' cotton much to thugocracy, Beijing style. It doesn't get any better from here.

Hahaha, everyone who liked this post is obviously a cheap charlie aka a-hole - please leave the kingdom, thanks 8-)

Cheap charlies exist the world over. But the worst are those who don't even spend money on themselves. I know such a guy, one of the richest in the very rich city that I normally live in, who has worn the same sports-coat for 20 or more years, who goes to an Old Folks' Home to play snooker on a Saturday morning between 10 and 12 cos it is free at that time, who freezes rather than turn on the heating. (I suppose in LoS he would melt rather than turn on the AC.)

But he does have one feature that suggests deviance: he has been spotted by a neighbour walking around in his house wearing a negligé. Yet again, that is an activity that costs nothing, except for the buying of the negligé at the charity store.

So what, if he is happy with his life, whom are you to judge? Does it effect your happiness/life in any way?

Brain LIFE??? Brain dead, more like.

It varies a lot in Thailand. Some will call you cheap charlie if you don't pay the buffet bill for everyone at the table, while others call you cheap charlie if you don't make your wife's family wealthy with luxury houses, cars and money.

And then there are those who trust that you will gradually build up the family successfully over time.

"And then there are those who trust that you will gradually build up the family successfully over time."

Would that more families were of this latter variety. I suspect a great many of us would do just this, if left to our own devices. Moreover, we would likely do so without even being asked. In Thailand, it is often not the fall, but the relentless bombardment of irony preceding the fall that kills you. The sudden stop at the bottom, becomes merely a formality.

Thailand is another place where there will always be a "shortcut" that is preferable to the more direct path. A fundamental aspect of humankind, taken to the extreme here that impacts both thinking, and on a more observable level, transit. In fairness, a great many foreigners have crafted similar mindsets in their own inimitable fashions.

From absurdity, there can simply be no escape, as it is pandemic in proportion. Perhaps the only useful observation that can be made here (or for that matter, anywhere) would be that they who do not put forth the effort to hone their senses of humor, fare the worst. Humor is perhaps not a cure-all, but it is a key element of acceptance, and the only useful weapon granted us by the universe, for the purposes of self defense.

Very well written and thought out...

Hahaha, everyone who liked this post is obviously a cheap charlie aka a-hole - please leave the kingdom, thanks 8-)

A new cocky 48 poster throwing in his 2 cents worth. Over time he may yet learn to put a sentence together that is readable.

I have been called cheap Charlie many times because I don't spend my money to stupid things that I don't need. and for the reasons you mentioned above.

Anyway ? one ear in the other ear out,...I never cared about what they called me...I always could do the things that I wanted, eat and drink with the money I had in my pocket, without wasting any of it.

best regards,

' Can be cynical to the point of being jaded, unable to find the good in their home country or Thailand, and consequently…'

Thailand abounds with them.........commonly known as WOFS (whinging old farts). I used to find them terribly annoying and brain numbingly negative.......now I just chuckle at the silly old sods :)

Thai's call them "Kee Neeow" or "Farang Kee Nok"

"Kee Neeow "is sticky shit, "Kee Nok" is Bird shit,...not the same thing !!!

Regards.

• Have a wide breadth of life and travel experience to draw from – often with unique perspective and great stories to boot. For examples, see the gazillions of blogs, vlogs, websites, the What’s On Sukhumvit homepage and more, to get a taste of the shiteload of experience people are hanging out to dry for just one… more… click.
  • Can be insufferable bores with self-indulgent stories and unwarranted advice. To all the Bar Stool Barrys: shut up, mate.

There you have it! who wanna listen to some uninteresting shit somebody experienced in some African or South American banana warring country somewhere? Or some crap about Sukhumvit and the filthy hangouts around there.

There is always a lesson to be learned for someone who can listen !!! (Off Road Pat)

Totally useless article. The sort of thing you could write in the bath about any country without even knowing where in the world it is

Perhaps - but my experience of other ex-pats when I was in India, Malaysia, Korea, China and Germany were very different to Thailand.

The equivalent sites to Thaivisa in these countries are also very different.

I think Thailand is easier than many other countries for ex-pats, so it can be a 'beginners' ex-pat country.

Perhaps the 'Good' descriptions in the OP apply to the more confident ex-pats in a country, whereas the 'Bad' is more a product of a lack of self confidence in some ex-pats who've limited experience of the world.

It can take strong self confidence, good social skills and cultural adaptability to survive in some of the tougher ex-pat destinations. In Thailand the culture can mean that poor behavior is tolerated (to a point).

And in general, ex-pats in other countries make efforts to meet each other, but in Thailand we tend to avoid each other.