Ford Focus Ecoboost or Honda Civic Turbo?

Wiggy

Hi all,

I have a 2013 Focus 2.0 Titanium saloon (sedan). I love the car, bar the dual clutch transmission. It's good, but not THAT good. I want to change in the next few months. I'm torn between the new Focus Ecoboost with a wonderful array of features (and no dual clutch!). I know that the resale value on the Ford may suffer (Red Book values mine at between 450K and 530K depending on type of sale).

Does anyone think I'd get a better trade-in price by taking it to Ford over Honda? I like the look of the Honda (I'm thinking RS), but it is more expensive. Plus, Ford don't seem to be offering the saloon at the moment, and I'm not a fan of hatchbacks. I've had no problems with Ford's after sales service and the car is very well built. Generally I'm happy with it. It's just that clutch. I also like the HR-V, although it's lacking in power, so I have a bit of a dilemma. What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

Dealers here don't usually handle trade ins themselves apart from Toyota Sure etc, and even they are hit and miss. Most used cars are handled by used car sellers. Some of the new car dealers have contacts with these but you are probably better off shopping around the used car sellers yourself or selling privately.

Dealers here don't usually handle trade ins themselves apart from Toyota Sure etc, and even they are hit and miss. Most used cars are handled by used car sellers. Some of the new car dealers have contacts with these but you are probably better off shopping around the used car sellers yourself or selling privately.

We were offered 10K more for our honda city at a tent compared too the honda dealer. The dealer then offloads it to a tent and pockets the 10K. You would get more privately, but depends oh how fast you want to get rid of it.

I'd be inclined to go for the honda - reliable, good service centers, good resale (I've also had a civic for 12 years too. It's had a few issues but the engine and gearbox are still strong with no problems). Yes it costs more but you get it back over time and on resale. Ford's service reputation is slowly improving but still has a way to go.

The big unknown for me is how turbos will hold up to the hot tropical climate here. I'm not in the market for a couple of years so will be watching closely:)

If you care about how a car actually drives the best in every class here is a Ford (countless comparison tests bear this out). If you think resale value or the few hours a year the car is at a dealer being serviced then get an inferior to drive Japanese car.

If you care about how a car actually drives the best in every class here is a Ford (countless comparison tests bear this out). If you think resale value or the few hours a year the car is at a dealer being serviced then get an inferior to drive Japanese car.

Thanks, JTB.

I totally agree regarding the Ford being the better car to drive. The Focus handles like it's on rails and it has plenty of power (currently 170HP), with the new at 180HP. The ONLY issue with the old one it is the clutch. It works fine, but occasionally it hesitates as to which gear to select, so it's just not responsive enough. And why Ford put the 'manual' selector on the gear stick I'll never know. The new one has paddle shift, and with a conventional automatic transmission. Resale value is a concern, but once you get over 6 or 7 years I understand the gap closes again.

We were offered 10K more for our honda city at a tent compared too the honda dealer. The dealer then offloads it to a tent and pockets the 10K. You would get more privately, but depends oh how fast you want to get rid of it.

I'd be inclined to go for the honda - reliable, good service centers, good resale (I've also had a civic for 12 years too. It's had a few issues but the engine and gearbox are still strong with no problems). Yes it costs more but you get it back over time and on resale. Ford's service reputation is slowly improving but still has a way to go.

The big unknown for me is how turbos will hold up to the hot tropical climate here. I'm not in the market for a couple of years so will be watching closely:)

Thanks DavisH.

Interesting point regarding the turbo. Could be worth watching for a bit, as you say.

The only way you'll get a decent price for your existing car is by selling it privately.

Thanks. Do you think that's the way for all cars, or just ones with generally lower resale value, like a Ford? I know the second hand market has dropped lately following the flood of cars after the first-time buyer debacle. I read somewhere on here that tents have increased their margins from around 50K mark up to around 100-150K. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? If so, privately may be the way to go. Thanks again.

Edited by Wiggy

The only way you'll get a decent price for your existing car is by selling it privately.

Thanks. Do you think that's the way for all cars, or just ones with generally lower resale value, like a Ford? I know the second hand market has dropped lately following the flood of cars after the first-time buyer debacle. I read somewhere on here that tents have increased their margins from around 50K mark up to around 100-150K. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? If so, privately may be the way to go. Thanks again.

All cars.

No longer does the agent/tent want just 30-50K profit, these days they start at 100K, 150K, 200K even.

All cars.

No longer does the agent/tent want just 30-50K profit, these days they start at 100K, 150K, 200K even.

Thanks again. That's what I'd heard. It might be a good time to buy first and then sell privately later, thus avoiding being without a car for a while.

Bit off Topic - buy 99% of my cars and trucks second hand. Use the following, seems to work. Decide on a make and model. Decide what you will pay - low end to high end as cars are different, with mileage and condition. Call the dealers, look at the cars. Find one you like - make an offer. If no wiggle room, walk. Go to dealer #2 ... When buying our Teana we found most in BKK. Got a central hotel room, started calling dealers. The very first one came to pick us up in the car, took it for a test drive, made an offer. Refused. Bye-Bye. Spent 2 more days doing the same with different dealers. Day #3 the first dealer called back, said he would accept. Stand Your Ground. Many cars for sale. Do not be in a hurry.

Bit off Topic - buy 99% of my cars and trucks second hand. Use the following, seems to work. Decide on a make and model. Decide what you will pay - low end to high end as cars are different, with mileage and condition. Call the dealers, look at the cars. Find one you like - make an offer. If no wiggle room, walk. Go to dealer #2 ... When buying our Teana we found most in BKK. Got a central hotel room, started calling dealers. The very first one came to pick us up in the car, took it for a test drive, made an offer. Refused. Bye-Bye. Spent 2 more days doing the same with different dealers. Day #3 the first dealer called back, said he would accept. Stand Your Ground. Many cars for sale. Do not be in a hurry.

Fair point, and thanks. I have thought long and hard about this, but after so many years here I just can't bring myself to trust second hand. Second hand car dealers throughout the world tend to be crooks, let alone here. I'm sure there are some good ones, but how do you know? Plus, when they can't even bring themselves to show the price, it's a bit of a lottery. I'd love to do it, but I worry about how it's been driven (probably badly) where it's been driven (maybe idling in traffic most of its life, or possibly through flood water), previous accident damage and possibly repaired badly (maybe even an insurance write-off and rebuilt). The chance of a 'cut and shut', plus a possible lack of service history due to laziness and/or ignorance (I don't mean this in a Thai bashing sense). Finally, there's a good chance it's been 'clocked'. Yes, I'll pay more for new, but I feel it's worth it for sheer peace of mind. All that said, I haven't totally discarded the idea of second hand. My first ever car here was and it was a great little car.

The first car I bought here was a 3 year old Nissan Bluebird SSS 2.0L turbo. I drove it for another 15 years before deciding to get a new car. Never a problem with the engine or turbo but it had one of the best engines Nissan made at the time, the SR20DET.

//BTW, I paid 360,000 baht for it so I got my money's worth on a 2nd hand car. smile.png

Been around cars all my life, so know what to look for. Flood damage - easy to spot. Serious accidents - same. Service and mileage - little more difficult. But look at the pads on the throttle and brake (clutch if equipped) If they show signs of serious wear and the odo says 80,000 km - run away. As far as service goes, if the previous owner fixed the little things, chances are he fixed the large ones too. Both our cars were one owner cars when we bought them - a good thing to look for. Blue book tells all.

For a driver's car go for the Focus as the Civic won't hold a candle to it for performance. Sell your Focus privately. Try the Focus club I've done the same peviously with cars & bikes &found Thais easier to deal with than expats. My wife has the 2012 Focus Sport+ & plans to upgrade.

Been around cars all my life, so know what to look for. Flood damage - easy to spot. Serious accidents - same. Service and mileage - little more difficult. But look at the pads on the throttle and brake (clutch if equipped) If they show signs of serious wear and the odo says 80,000 km - run away. As far as service goes, if the previous owner fixed the little things, chances are he fixed the large ones too. Both our cars were one owner cars when we bought them - a good thing to look for. Blue book tells all.

Those pads are perfect in my old honda cos i drive in bare feet / socks biggrin.png I learned to drive in a mini so there was no room for my big shoes in the foot well. The habit stuck.

For a driver's car go for the Focus as the Civic won't hold a candle to it for performance. Sell your Focus privately. Try the Focus club I've done the same peviously with cars & bikes &found Thais easier to deal with than expats. My wife has the 2012 Focus Sport+ & plans to upgrade.

So you have driven the New Civic Turbo. .Wish i had..facepalm.gif

From what I've seen on the internet, the suspension/handling is quite a bit better than the previous versions.

Don't forget Ford will give you a loyalty discount since you've already bought one car from them. I believe it's currently 20k.

Wow. I didn't know about that. Thanks. Sounds good. I wonder if I could squeeze them for a bit more, as the Fords aren't exactly flying off the shelf!

Edited by Wiggy

From what I've seen on the internet, the suspension/handling is quite a bit better than the previous versions.
I thought the Civic still had its archaic torsion beam setup?

I thought the Civic still had its archaic torsion beam setup?

In addition to a more rigid platform, Honda added a sophisticated suspension, combining an independent multilink rear, MacPherson strut front, and hydraulic bushings. Honda stated that it not only targeted the best handling cars in its class, it’s gunning for German sport sedans as well.

Its all rather personal choise, the Focus ,just dont like much about it, but the Mazda 3 is a pleasure to drive, no point being anti as there are good bits even in the Ford. Theres some rubbish bits on the Merc too. Like the silly little engine.coffee1.gif

Its all rather personal choise, the Focus ,just dont like much about it, but the Mazda 3 is a pleasure to drive, no point being anti as there are good bits even in the Ford. Theres some rubbish bits on the Merc too. Like the silly little engine.coffee1.gif

Uh huh. Like the base-model-like halogen mirror headlights on the Focus Turbo - what are they thinking?

I know it seems like a petty gripe, but it would be a deal breaker for me... because you can't even retrofit xenons or LED's into them.

Uh huh. Like the base-model-like halogen mirror headlights on the Focus Turbo - what are they thinking?

I know it seems like a petty gripe, but it would be a deal breaker for me... because you can't even retrofit xenons or LED's into them.

Completely agree with you, IMHO, and I don't think it's a petty gripe at all. I was stunned to see the specs for the new Focus with only halogen bulbs. What are these people thinking? Brand new update, decent power plant, oozing with smart features, but with 1970s headlamps. Unbelievable. TBH, I thought it was odd having only halogen bulbs on my current Focus. You know what? This could be the deal breaker for me as well.

Completely agree, Ace.

Doesn't the civic have full led lights now...only on the top model or all?

The full LED lights are on the top model, that is the RS.

The RS has them all round. The lower specs have them all round bar the main headlights (projector).