New Mercedes AMG A45 - 381 bhp - Thai Performance bargain - Discuss

Pdaz

Well I saw that the latest version of the AMG A45 hatch has had it's price reduced by 1.4 million baht clap2.gif

It is now listed at only 4.39 million.. Surely that now makes it the Thai performance car bargain of the century ?

7 speed DSG, 475Nm of torque and the Worlds most powerful production 2 litre 4 banger...

Certainly makes the less powerful Cayman, the new M2 and even secondhand M3's etc look pricey.

Finally the greeny tree huggers CO2 emmision nonsense is good for something as that seems to be the reason the price has dropped..

Feel sorry for any rich kids who bought one of these last year for a lot more cash ( less powerful too )

A grey import Golf R is in a similar price bracket but an officially imported Merc with dealer service and better residuals has to be a good deal..

Just need to save up the cash now whistling.gif

post-39406-0-19529400-1460035361_thumb.j

Any thoughts petrol heads ? It's not the prettiest I know...

Wonder how much a new Audi RS3 is in the Land of Smiles ?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you can use the word 'bargain' with many cars in Thailand, let alone something priced at 'only' 4.39 million … only 125,000 USD.

Personally I'd prefer a WRX STI at a 'bargain' 3.35 million (or possibly the baby WRX at 'just' 2.64 million, then spend the balance tuning it up). But close on US$ 100,000 for a US$ 40,000+ car is crazy, plus I'm sure that if ever I bought one, the day after I drove out of the showroom Subaru here would drop the price 500,000 like they did with the BRZ ...

BRZ with a bolt on supercharger is a bargain at 1.99mil plus 200K for the supercharger kit fitted.. It's just the nasty interior that puts me off.. WRX been hit with the ugly stick sooooo many times I almost feel sorry for it.. But yep it's cheaper than the Merc AND available in manual ( like the BRZ)

It's a bargain compaired to the £278,000 someone paid for a chair J.K.Rowling have had her bottom on.

But if you ask me, yes it's a fairly good car, but not THAT good. It's very overpriced in Thailand when considering the income of Thais.

Also it's not like it used to be, when Mercedes engines lasted for several decades and didn't fall too much in price, but now they make so many models that most of them fall very much in price even just after someone touch the speed pedal. I see brand new 3.5 million Mercedes barely driven sold with more than 500k price drops.

There are very many great cars made in the 230-400 bhp class, and the AMG A45 is not one of them. If you really want one, wait and buy one used.

The 400+ bhp Toyota FT-1, is still just a concept car but is said to hit the market at a $60,000 price tag, if the interest is there, which it is. Then we can start talking about bargain.

ada19251a9d247dbb0d13ffbb5ba6526.jpg970f745a2196188900b4dda46ae81109.jpg897e90bf1baaac5dd29a038692573d44.jpgc587b0fdd7baa5fd884de358ba286acf.jpg

The 400+ bhp Toyota FT-1, is still just a concept car but is said to hit the market at a $60,000 price tag, if the interest is there, which it is. Then we can start talking about bargain.

The toyota wont come to thailand officially, so will be a grey import, and 60k USD equates to 8mil+ in Thailand

The AMG merc, either A class or GLA is the performance 'bargain' here. I looked round one at the motorshow, They look ok, its grown on me (rear wing is questionable though) so having never considered a Merc, I went and watched review after review, the general consensus - it's a good car, not a brilliant car, 6 or 7 out of 10.....

Sat in the WRX STi too, yep its cheap (for here) interior is still terrible and the same 15MPG boxer engine with massive turbo lag. Golf R almost as loony, but way easier to live with. It's a shame VW don't seem to be interested in the Thai market.

The toyota wont come to thailand officially, so will be a grey import, and 60k USD equates to 8mil+ in Thailand

Officially Toyota has 4 manufacturing facilities in Thailand, while they have no 3rd party contractors in Thailand.

Toyota said if the car would hit the market, it will be a "budget" car.

The FT-1 is the successor of the Toyota Supra, and will be competing with Corvettes and Porsches.

8+ million is pretty far from a competetive price.

The price will most likely range somewhere around 2-3 million, depending on whether it will be manufactured in Thailand or not. Thailand doesn't exactly have the history of manufacturing sports- and exotic cars to say the leased, but over 8 million? It's not competing in the supercar class.

Officially Toyota has 4 manufacturing facilities in Thailand, while they have no 3rd party contractors in Thailand.

The FT-1 is the successor of the Toyota Supra, and will be competing with Corvettes and Porsches.

The price will most likely range somewhere around 2-3 million, depending on whether it will be manufactured in Thailand or not. Thailand doesn't exactly have the history of manufacturing sports- and exotic cars to say the leased, but over 8 million? It's not competing in the supercar class.

your right, the big factor is IF they build it here AND offer it for the Thai market - 4 facilities here means nothing though - many manufactures build cars here that aren't released in Thailand. The one sports car they offer here now - the GT86 (2.5 mil THB) is imported.

The 8 mil is a guess, but going by the fact that a base Porsche cayman costs less than 60k USD, and sells for 7 million here.

Would be great if they did build/sell it here though, looks good thumbsup.gif

your right, the big factor is IF they build it here AND offer it for the Thai market - 4 facilities here means nothing though - many manufactures build cars here that aren't released in Thailand. The one sports car they offer here now - the GT86 (2.5 mil THB) is imported.

The 8 mil is a guess, but going by the fact that a base Porsche cayman costs less than 60k USD, and sells for 7 million here.

The official price is 6,3 mil for the Cayman.

I may have been a bit optimistic but 8 million would be a slaughterfest for our neurons.

No way it will be built in Thailand, sorry.

You would do better buying a second hand SLK much better than the poor mans merc

The SLK available in Thailand is the gutless 2 litre model.. Occaisionly the 3litre six cylinder one is for sale secondhand but they are always North of 4 million.

The SLK 55 or SLK 63 are the only ones with similar performance to the A45 but they are more than double the price.

I found a couple of secondhand A45's online but as the Thai owners originally paid almost 6 mil for them they want 4mil for a two year old model with less features and less power..

If the Toyota comes to thailand ( sure it will via the grey market ) I'm certain it's price will be at least 8 million based on similar cars that cost 60k in the US... It may be less if its emmisions, power and engine size mean it get taxed at a lower rate than say the 6 cyl porsche..

Seems despite it's flaws the AMG 45 is still a "bargain" in Thai terms.. Obviously no point in conparing it's price point with other countries as I live in Thailand.. In the UK I'd be looking at the AMG GTS coupe as it's not much more there than the A45 is here..

Nothing like FT-1 will ever come to Thailand other than grey market. I don't know if anyone has ever looked at customs official import duty schedules. Anything over 220hp gets 328% import duty.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

They will not build it here either. If anything, Malaysia might build it and under special trade agreement, it could come in like the BMW 3/4/5 Active Hybrid at around 6m to 8m cheapest.

Just not so keen on the 'still just a hot hatch' even if a very hot one indeed.

Would trade a little power and get something nice looking like the grey imported Audi TT RS 2.5 with quattro and about 340 hp. Should be plenty fast and has the looks at around 4.2m as well new.

You would do better buying a second hand SLK much better than the poor mans merc

Unless one needs numbers to make up for lack of decent equipment when comparing cars in a bar. Then buy a used A250? Also doesn't have the rear wing. Debadge it or get a A180 badge put on to have fun with other drivers?

Id rather buy a home, than a car for 4 million plus...

Trying to compare car prices also, with USA is like comparing a English Summer with Australian summer... Everything in US is cheap, compared to most of the world...

Nothing like FT-1 will ever come to Thailand other than grey market. I don't know if anyone has ever looked at customs official import duty schedules. Anything over 220hp gets 328% import duty.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

They will not build it here either. If anything, Malaysia might build it and under special trade agreement, it could come in like the BMW 3/4/5 Active Hybrid at around 6m to 8m cheapest.

The 220bhp limit has now been replaced by emissions based tax for cars less than 3000cc, so for high power 2.0 turbos the tax bill has actually dropped, hence the AMG A45 price reduction of over a million baht.

(part of the reason anyway, as it may also now be assembled here, though I'm not certain of that)

The 220bhp limit has now been replaced by emissions based tax for cars less than 3000cc, so for high power 2.0 turbos the tax bill has actually dropped, hence the AMG A45 price reduction of over a million baht.

(part of the reason anyway, as it may also now be assembled here, though I'm not certain of that)

Pretty easy to tell if they're assembled here - just look for names like "Somchai" on the handcrafted-by plaque :P

mercedes-cla-45-5-plaque_0.jpg?itok=u9Iv

Nearly £90,000 for a hot hatch,a very large portion of which is not buying car,just paying tax,so can never be a bargain. I'm a performance car fan having left behind an M3 which I used on many track days. Unfortunately,owning a performance car here I've concluded is pointless,mainly due to the driving standards of the local populace who you could never rely on to share the same road with or anticipate another car using such performance. Add in the high probability of getting shunted and that your insurance only covers you for 80% of the value and it's just a huge risk. You could never relax enough to enjoy it. I'm adapted to my 3 litre diesel pickup manual,but of course it's a compromise!

What you compare is funny... or ridiculous... !

Who cares the road and other excuse of the poor ? I paid my car almost $200000 instead of less than $100000 back home but compared to how much I save by living here it's still a bargain <3

And I am perfectly relax, it's just a car !!! who cares !!!

Nearly £90,000 for a hot hatch,a very large portion of which is not buying car,just paying tax,so can never be a bargain. I'm a performance car fan having left behind an M3 which I used on many track days. Unfortunately,owning a performance car here I've concluded is pointless,mainly due to the driving standards of the local populace who you could never rely on to share the same road with or anticipate another car using such performance. Add in the high probability of getting shunted and that your insurance only covers you for 80% of the value and it's just a huge risk. You could never relax enough to enjoy it. I'm adapted to my 3 litre diesel pickup manual,but of course it's a compromise!

Just not so keen on the 'still just a hot hatch' even if a very hot one indeed.

Would trade a little power and get something nice looking like the grey imported Audi TT RS 2.5 with quattro and about 340 hp. Should be plenty fast and has the looks at around 4.2m as well new.

I missed out on a mint 2012 2.5 TT-RS last year.. Full stainless Miltek system and a stage two re-map... it was 3 Million ! bu99er !

Biggest problem with Audis here is they have very bad depreciation.. Thais don't seem keen at all...

My current car is a TT Quattro. Bilsteins, Re-map, larger intercooler and larger bore downpipe and system.. Close to 300bhp and 6 speed manual.

But it's getting long in the tooth despite having less that 30K Kms. It seems very hard to replace at a reasonable cost. sad.png

Golf R, Audi RS or the Merc.... Hmmmmmmm

Unless one needs numbers to make up for lack of decent equipment when comparing cars in a bar. Then buy a used A250? Also doesn't have the rear wing. Debadge it or get a A180 badge put on to have fun with other drivers?

I've looked at the A250 AMG.. It's 2.5 mil new but slower than my current car.. It can be found secondhand in great condition for 1.9 -20 mil but it's still slower than my current car. It just doesn't feel special enough. For that price I'd rather buy a Golf GTi.

What you compare is funny... or ridiculous... !

Who cares the road and other excuse of the poor ? I paid my car almost $200000 instead of less than $100000 back home but compared to how much I save by living here it's still a bargain <3

And I am perfectly relax, it's just a car !!! who cares !!!

Yes that's exactly how I see it.. Instead of giving HMR&C 30-50K a year in the UK I spend it on a car here.. At least when I sell the car I get some of it back.. I get SFA back from the tax man...

Archived