Thailands 5-star Beaches Named

george

'Five-star' beaches named

Adang Island Beach in Satun, Phi Phi Island's Long Beach and Bilae Beach on Krabi's Hong Island are the recipients of the government's first "Five-star Tourist Beach" titles, a senior official said yesterday.

The acting director-general of the Pollution Control Department (PCD), Monthip Srirattana Tabuganon, said the PCD has conducted an annual assessment of beach quality for four years now and most beaches received between three and four-and-a-half stars.

One hundred and five beaches - 31 beaches from Trat to Chon Buri, 38 along the Gulf of Thailand and 36 on the Andaman coast - were given between three and four-and-a-half stars, she said.

Regular four-star winners include

Sai Kaew Beach on Rayong's Samet Island, Prachuap Khiri Khan's Hua Hin Beach, and Chaweng Beach on

Surat Thani's Samui Island, while Chon Buri's Bang Saen Beach was elevated to three-and-a-half stars due to local authorities' improvement of the environment there.

-- The Nation 2006-11-01

I can not read the article in "The Nation" because I have a grey rectangle over the page and with the search function I get no result for Adang. I would like to know if it is really the beach in Tarutao National park on Ko Adang opposite to Ko Lipe and if so, what are the terms for a five star beach ?

Thanks for this post.

I get a little nervous when LOS more closely mimicks western standards of tourism. I hope Thailand doesn't turn into the Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Cancun, or Hawaii.

But glad to see that the environment and pollution control are being elevated into the public awareness. So it's sweet and sour I guess.

if they really rate Chaweng beach as a quality 4star beach.....dear oooh dear......my own little 1sq.mtre garden beach in austria must be AT LEAST 10 stars.....what a crap study that is....Chaweng never ever even 1 star...

my 2baht

Agree with you about Chaweng

if they really rate Chaweng beach as a quality 4star beach.....dear oooh dear......my own little 1sq.mtre garden beach in austria must be AT LEAST 10 stars.....what a crap study that is....Chaweng never ever even 1 star...

my 2baht

Hey not true, 20+ years ago Chaweng was 5 star.

my 2baht

Chaweng is a shitehole.