Warning: Not to use Driver Booster 3.2. with Windows 10 Pro.....

lostinisaan

Sabai Dee?

Even if the program might do a great job on other Window systems, the program upset me twice when updating older drivers.

It finally deleted important parts of my AMD graphics card, the resolution changed and the AMD Catalyst Control Center disappeared.

I've Goggled long enough to find out that there's no other solution than taking Macrium and doing a system restore.

It happened on two different machines, so not a one time driver update mistake. Be warned. rolleyes.gif

The irony of it is that all drivers were up to date, but the graphic really fragged up.

Edited by lostinisaan

I've never been keen on these programs that supposedly Know Best What Drivers You Need Updated and Also Provides Those Updates.

I stick to only using the drivers from my hardware manufacturers support websites (i.e., for my computer, printer, scanner, etc) or what a Windows update may offer/force feed. And if the updated driver installed by Windows don't work right I go grab the latest driver from my hardware manufacturer's website again.

I've never been keen on these programs that supposedly Know Best What Drivers You Need Updated and Also Provides Those Updates.

I stick to only using the drivers from my hardware manufacturers support websites (i.e., for my computer, printer, scanner, etc) or what a Windows update may offer/force feed. And if the updated driver installed by Windows don't work right I go grab the latest driver from my hardware manufacturer's website again.

It depends what you mean by "hardware manufacturer".

For example, you can download a Lenovo driver for a Lenovo laptop instead of the Windows one, but it might be a third party manufacturer that made the actual hardware, e.g. Network adapters.

It finally deleted important parts of my AMD graphics card

That's quite a feat.

Chips or memory?

Or just the card itself?

Driver(s)/ There's no way to get the system back to have the right resolution. Sorry for my bad language, Madame.

It depends what you mean by "hardware manufacturer".

For example, you can download a Lenovo driver for a Lenovo laptop instead of the Windows one, but it might be a third party manufacturer that made the actual hardware, e.g. Network adapters.

And the third party manufacturer might have a contract with a Chinese firm and once you clicked yes to get the driver, you said yes to a lot of buffalo dung.

I'm aware that companies who offer "driver boosters" and other stuff are trying to sell their products through lies.

The free downloads and the tests always show thousands of problems which the full version of the product could easily handle.

But I agree that it's best to search at the manufacturer's website for new drivers. DELL left me in the rain after my upgrade to Windows 10 pro, as they had no Bluetooth drivers for it.

But the DELL must be almost 8 years + old now and i understand that they can't spend a a lot of money for old stuff.(junk)

I could finally get a Bluetooth driver from Lenovo's website and all is fine.

Edited by lostinisaan

Catalyst Control Center is no longer in use; it was replaced by Radeon Software Crimson at the end of 2015.

Not so sure about that. Please see screenshot. taken 1 minute ago.

You having outdated software on your computer isn't indicative of anything. CCC was likely removed when you installed the new drivers through Driver Booster because AMD has moved away from it. If you install the latest drivers you should instead get the AMD Crimson App, through which display settings can be altered. The exception would be if you're using an GPU so old that AMD has dropped support for it in their new drivers, in which case you have to use older drivers, up to and including (I believe) Catalyst 15.7.1.

Catalyst Control Center is no longer in use; it was replaced by Radeon Software Crimson at the end of 2015.

Just checked, Crimson is still in beta. These are the only download choices:

attachicon.gifamddl.png

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows%207%20-%2032

You are in the "legacy" section of the website, which is the place for outdated GPU's which are no longer supported. These are the latest drivers for Windows 7 32 bit (which is the OS you're linking to): http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+32

post-176080-0-87089600-1460139513_thumb.

Thanks, I had no idea of Crimson until you mentioned it. I'll give it a try after my next backup, or after the latest release has graduated up from a hotfix.

Edited by bendejo

Windows has a perfectly fine imbedded backup system. I have never used anything but. Oh yeah, its free

only ever used it once and it didnt work.......f3ck #that

Have used it exclusively on my personal machines and US military work machines since 2002, 14 years.

Maybe it was operator error.

Not so sure about that. Please see screenshot. taken 1 minute ago.

You having outdated software on your computer isn't indicative of anything. CCC was likely removed when you installed the new drivers through Driver Booster because AMD has moved away from it. If you install the latest drivers you should instead get the AMD Crimson App, through which display settings can be altered. The exception would be if you're using an GPU so old that AMD has dropped support for it in their new drivers, in which case you have to use older drivers, up to and including (I believe) Catalyst 15.7.1.

Thanks. Nope, it didn't install another driver instead. It only showed the message that no more graphic driver would be available and the resolution was out of order. The machine isn't that old.

P.S. And the CCC wasn't functioning anymore. Driver Booster saw it was outdated, updated the driver, but in a very nasty way.

"All your drivers are up to date now" Harr, harr. Harr...sad.png

post-158336-0-41787700-1460194109_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

I don't see a compelling case here. The other driver updates worked fine. Seems you could just uninstall the graphics driver, run the AMD clean uninstall utility http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx then install the latest drivers as in Myran's post

Chicog is right that OEMs often don't update their drivers after awhile and so then if you want to update you'll need to go to the particular hardware manufacturer or a respected third party, which you can usually find recommended in forums. Invoking anti-Chinese paranoia falls into the ol' Just In Case fallacy. Seems the ability to click the "no" box should be among everyone's skills?

Windows has a perfectly fine imbedded backup system. I have never used anything but. Oh yeah, its free

I used it for years...it has it's issues and limitations and I experience some of those over the years...and it's slow. Much happier using Macrium Reflect Free.

What was the problem you were trying to fix originally, or were you just fiddling around?

It's the lostinisaan modus operandus: Fiddle with something until he breaks it, come on here for help, get it fixed and then try and pretend he's an expert.

biggrin.png

What was the problem you were trying to fix originally, or were you just fiddling around?

It's the lostinisaan modus operandus: Fiddle with something until he breaks it, come on here for help, get it fixed and then try and pretend he's an expert.

biggrin.png

Ma'am, you caught me "in the act" with my pants down.

Yes, I did weird things just to find out how to get problems fixed the easiest way, but always having a copy of it. So not a big loss if the system wasn't working anymore.

And I have to agree that I made weird things, for example: Tried to use a different CD key for a fully functioning and genuine Windows 10 pro installation, just to have the chance to do the trouble shooting part, plus many sleepless nights doing similar stuff.

But in this case, i ONLY WANTED TO UPDATE ThE OUTDATED DRIVERS OF MY MAIN PC,but all I saw was a middle finger.

One way the other, I had spent sleepless nights and made my experiments where I've really learned a lot about the topic.

And when you've got such a sexy and knowledgeable woman here like Mrs. Chicog, guys like Never Sure and all the other experts, what could go wrong?

Now, I'll pour some Somtham Lao into the CPU to see what happens and will later cry for help. Thanks a lot for your help. Cheers-smile.png

My lawyer already has all proof that we can sue this questionable company. thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Thanks, I had no idea of Crimson until you mentioned it. I'll give it a try after my next backup, or after the latest release has graduated up from a hotfix.

Nor did I. You would think AMD would either update to it or let its users know they should update to it. I have about 6 PCs that use CCC and none has requested I update to Crimson. Hopefully its better than the crash prone CCC is.

But in this case, i ONLY WANTED TO UPDATE ThE OUTDATED DRIVERS OF MY MAIN PC,but all I saw was a middle finger.

Best for you I think to adopt the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Perfectly rational, often recommended.