Found this golden tree snake crawling up my house...

bamboozled

Here he/she is. Beautiful. My research tells me it's a golden tree snake. Not particularly dangerous...has some venom and will bite but apparently very weak venom that doesn't effect humans. Hmm, my cats? I have him in a container outside. I think I will turn him loose, yes?

post-44237-0-55796100-1460175259_thumb.j

Ha! I took him across the soi to an empty house with a really fun looking Jackfruit tree in the front. As soon as I opened the lid of the barrel he scooted right back across the street to my house, ducked under the wall, and disappeared somewhere or other in my realm. Well, as long as he eats the jing joks and I don't wake up next to him, that's cool.

Ha! I took him across the soi to an empty house with a really fun looking Jackfruit tree in the front. As soon as I opened the lid of the barrel he scooted right back across the street to my house, ducked under the wall, and disappeared somewhere or other in my realm. Well, as long as he eats the jing joks and I don't wake up next to him, that's cool.

great photo and good luck to the jong joks!

Sir; I admire your attitude and I fully agree with you; there are not all that many who think like us: mostly folks want to 'kill-kill-kill' and that's just plain wrong, hey ?!? All creatures on this planet have the same desire to a happy life as what we do; and as long as animals don;t start behaving like humans (!), I say -"Leave them be & respect them".

coffee1.gif

One of my favourite creatures among the many which live in my garden. Their preferred food is the big tokay, not the little jingjoks, though I don't suppose these would go amiss as a snack. Golden Tree Snakes are back-fanged, which means they poison their prey as they swallow; they cannot bite you.

I'm hoping he'll get that pesky mouse, too.......

One of my favourite creatures among the many which live in my garden. Their preferred food is the big tokay, not the little jingjoks, though I don't suppose these would go amiss as a snack. Golden Tree Snakes are back-fanged, which means they poison their prey as they swallow; they cannot bite you.

They can and do most definitely bite you.

(Not that they'll sneak up on you or anything, but if you want to catch it then they'll most definitely bite. They can't deliver a lot of venom but still better to not get bitten. )

He did bite the stick I used to hold him down but the stick didn't seem to mind. I don't see how that snake could eat a tokay as the tokay also has teeth and they aren't back fanged, so I hear (haven't had the pleasure of being mauled by one yet). The tokay is bigger than the snake! Both very pretty creatures.

Wow that's crazy! Thanks for posting. When I had the snake in my hands he did wrap around my arm and start to squeeze a bit. I wonder if the snake ever gets bitten by the tokay? And why not eat the jing joks, too? Perhaps they're harder to catch? Certainly more plentiful and easier to swallow.

There's a bunch of videos out there of golden tree snakes fighting / eating big tokay geckos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=golden+tree+snake+%28gecko+OR+tokay%29

I also like this one:

Silly cat. I lost a few cats and the kid's guinea pigs. The cats never did wake up to the fact that all Tasmanian snakes are venomous.

beautiful snake thanks for not killing... he must like your place though and as long as he/she cant get inside should be ok? personally though I would have taken he/she further afield out in the countryside before letting go

• 2 weeks later...

Archived