More Thais choose to go abroad during the long Songkran festival

rooster59

More Thais choose to go abroad during the long Songkran festival

post-247607-0-63573100-1460178296_thumb.

BANGKOK: The long Songkran holiday this year has encouraged more Thai travellers to go for overseas destinations rather domestic tourist destinations, according to the Association of Domestic Travel.

Association chairman Yutthachai Sunthornratnavej said the long Songkran holidays this year is the main reason for the rise in the number of Thai holidaymakers to travel overseas.

He estimated an increase by 30 per cent as compared to that in the same period last year.

The favourite overseas destinations remain to Japan and ASEAN countries except the Philippines and Brunei.

For domestic travel, he said only 25 percent of Thai holidaymakers decided to travel in the country.

Apart from the long holiday period that is suitable for travel overseas, lack of public relations to attract Thai holidaymakers to spend their holiday in Thailand was also to be blamed.

He went on saying that overseas trip gives more options and incentives, compared to travelling in the country, particularly in ASEAN countries where prices are very attractive that have attracted Thai holidaymakers.

According to the association, the government’s Songkran tourism campaign to give tax incentives for Thai travelers to travel in the country is just a short term measure to stimulate domestic spending, which benefits restaurant and hotel operators.

Local spendings may be not be high as expected because most Thai holidaymakers have already chosen to travel overseas.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158864

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-09

And why not?
Schools are out.
Even the international schools are on holiday now.
Thai schools in the middle of a long, summer holiday.
Time to take a trip and go see something else, if you can afford it.

Good for them.

The best way to learn geography, is to travel.
(also different cultures, history, language, even (hopefully) that not all countries just throw their garbage out the window)

Any travel over seas opens your mind,

may be among the holiday makers a light switch

gets turned on and a positive suggestion or outcome

gets brought back home by a local,

positive positive positive.

Wait, Thais know there are more countries? ohmy.png

I'd say good news, let's hope they happen pick up a few good/better things from other cultures and apply them here, like driving.

Even for me (from West-Europe) going to Japan was a real eye-opener. They have everything perfect there, into the extreme.

There is no trafficjam in Tokyo, and the cars/trucks who are there are very silent and clean, even huge trailers.

Everything is clean, safe, organised and high quality. Totally the opposit of Thailand and it only costs a little bit more. Still cheaper then W-europe.

...lack of public relations to attract Thai holidaymakers to spend their holiday in Thailand was also to be blamed.

OR... Thais are also getting fed up with the excesses of Songkran and would rather be elsewhere.

I'd say good news, let's hope they happen pick up a few good/better things from other cultures and apply them here, like driving.

Even for me (from West-Europe) going to Japan was a real eye-opener. They have everything perfect there, into the extreme.

There is no trafficjam in Tokyo, and the cars/trucks who are there are very silent and clean, even huge trailers.

Everything is clean, safe, organised and high quality. Totally the opposit of Thailand and it only costs a little bit more. Still cheaper then W-europe.

Yes Tokyo blew my mind. I thought with it being the biggest city in the world that the traffic would be horrendous. It is practically non existent in big city terms. Their public transport infrastructure is probably the best in the world.

I hope to be living there by the end of the decade smile.png

Edited by mrrizzla

Don't those Thais traveling out of the country for their vacation threaten national security?

I wouldn't be surprise that Prayut doesn't take some arbitrary and frivilous action to stem further Thai foreign tourism. Perhaps an exit and readmission fee for Thais leaving the country for a vacation. That way the Thai vacationer will contribute to Thailand's economy whether they stay in Thailand or leave the country. wai2.gif

Don't those Thais traveling out of the country for their vacation threaten national security?

I wouldn't be surprise that Prayut doesn't take some arbitrary and frivilous action to stem further Thai foreign tourism. Perhaps an exit and readmission fee for Thais leaving the country for a vacation. That way the Thai vacationer will contribute to Thailand's economy whether they stay in Thailand or leave the country. wai2.gif

He shouldn't worry. A great deal of the Thais I have met abroad are too far indoctrinated to come back with any radical new ideas.

They get em young here.

My outlaws just landed in Japan. Cheap air fairs. I on the other had will hide until the festivitives are over here in Thailand.

They feel obliged to spread Thainess. They cant learn anything from inferior countries.

what costs a little more? most expats came to Thailand for cheap hookers

have not met many thais who are interested in leaving their beloved country.

Then you haven't met many Thais. There's a big middle class these days and they travel the world much as, well, all the rest of us.

As for going to Japan to learn politeness or whatever, I've always felt that the Japanese have more to learn from the Thais than v.v. But then I grew up in Japan so I'm probably prejudiced.

Great cultural event and they all, well a lot want to miss it, wonder why that is then? Perhaps they should define exactly what it is and exactly what part the water plays in it. No water ( we have no water! ) no event, great lets just relax for a few days then and get on with life, anyone found over the limit driving should be shot!