Time to upgrade.

dave_boo

I haven't used any AV receivers (i.e. ones with built in amplifiers) with Atmos or DTS:X, but I have the Marantz AV7702MkII pre-pro which came with Atmos support, and got a firmware update last month to support DTS:X

I have a couple of Blurays with Atmos soundtracks (i.e. almost all of them, LOL), and I have the 2016 DTS demo disc which has a number of DTS:X samplers. My system is 7.2.4 using JBL pro recording studio monitors and subs. Here's what I can tell you: without the additional height speakers, it's pretty hard to tell any difference between these new formats and DTS Master Audio. With the height speakers on and applicable content playing, the difference can be heard, but I find it a whole lot more subtle than what I was hoping for. It's nothing like the step up from say DD5.1 to DTS:MA. The promise of objects being positioned in a precise 3D space just hasn't materialized, in my system at least. I've tried various different methods of calibrating the system using the Audyssey Platinum mic/program, and have also tried manual configuration, setting speaker distances by hand as well.

Shrug. Maybe I just expected too much from it.

The only other thing I can point out is the bluetooth range on the Marantz, which is so bad it's just a completely useless feature. If the device needs to be within a couple of meters to work, you may as well run wired audio and get better SQ out of it. Pretty bummed that my 70K Baht AVP can't even get that right. At least Airplay works and sounds good.

There were other problems I could have told you about if you asked in February - like it was impossible to get the subs to play *anything* with a stereo source selected - but they fixed that in the March firmware update. Overall, not very impressed with Marantz, or these new audio formats.

In short, maybe worth looking at the Denon and Onkyo/Pioneer receivers. If Marantz managed such a poor offering with their 2nd from top pre-pro, I can't imagine their lower end models could be much good.

Edited by IMHO

Wow! Audio stuff sure has gotten complicated and arcane since my dad and I put together our Heathkit Amp, Pre-Amp and FMTuner. Took more than a year to assemble...then de-bug them...always a mysterious buzz somewhere. We then made 3' tall bass reflex loudspeakers out of plywood from plans in an audio magazine. They sounded so good...except for that damn buzz.....took years to track it down to a bad capacitor.