USA Auto and Motorcycle License-> Thai 5 year Auto/ML direct?

chubby

USA Auto and Motorcycle License-> Thai 5 year Auto/ML direct?

This will be for Bangkok, if there is any suggestion on which location to select ...for both or either

Hello,

I have both auto and ML license, I've looked at the pinned topic on licensing , however it is somewhat cryptic:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

"IN CASE OF FOREIGNER

RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [bY YOURSELF] FROM ONE-YEAR (DRIVING LICENCE) TO FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE"

1) I am not looking to "renew" so much, as obtain via endorsement at Thai Auto and ML is this possible?

2) if so how? if it includes the embassy/immigration letter ; details on either both of those ;

I understand its about 1500B for the US Emb route, and requires and appointment,

what does the embassy what to issue me such a letter?

Anyone done it recently?

3) Can I obtain a 5 years license initially? Or must one always start with a 1 year license, whether by endorsement or via non-endorsement?

4) for lower Sukhumwit, which office is recommended to do the above?

5) do they have MD letters available near these offices?

6) must one go out to Chang Wattana to use the Immigration method ? think I might rather pay the $50 and go to wireless road, if the embassy route is less hassle?

I did read through various postings for last year on TV, but somehow I dont seem to see much

eg this

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/895689-international-drivers-license-vs-thai-drivers-license/page-4?hl=license

PS: no need to sidetrack onto IDPs and such. or the fact I can use the USA ones for 90days.....

1) The link you cited does in no way apply to conversion from US DL to Thai DL.

2) Never heard or read about a route to 5 year license directly, Always get a temporary first.

This link applies to your case:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3470:in-case-of-foreigner&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

Unfortunately the text has a silly bug (INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE), although this does not apply to you as you stated.

Also the text is outdated as all temporary licenses are issued for two years since March 2015,

LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH

As you have a US license no translation should be needed.

Can not comment on the easiest/cheapest route for the proof of residence.

Some immigration offices do it for free (or cheap under the desk), others don't,

Edited by KhunBENQ

1. Yes you can obtain a 2 year temporary Thai driving licences, go your nearest DLT office.

2. As 1. they will tell you what you not all DLT's are the same.

3. No.

4. As 1. your nearest.

5. No idea, maybe.

6. As 1. start from there follow the hoops & jumps. biggrin.png

So, by doing this I would receive a 2 year driving permit, at the end of 2 years, I would just pay money and then could obtain a 5 year license?

2)

by Local they mean "local" to your own country must be ?

3) TO ADD to my OP:

If I'm on an retirement O-A (not an extension of stay), and my condo writes me a letter, I wonder if that will be enough for an embassy or immigration letter ........

4) I've heard that often there are little doctor shops to get these certificates, located near Chang Wattana or places where people need them ?

---

4. ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS N'T IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)

---

1) The link you cited does in no way apply to conversion from US DL to Thai DL.

2) Never heard or read about a route to 5 year license directly, Always get a temporary first.

This link applies to your case:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3470:in-case-of-foreigner&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

Unfortunately the text has a silly bug (INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE), although this does not apply to you as you stated.

Also the text is outdated as all temporary licenses are issued for two years since March 2015,

LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH

As you have a US license no translation should be needed.

Can not comment on the easiest/cheapest route for the proof of residence.

Some immigration offices do it for free (or cheap under the desk), others don't,

To make life easy may I suggest that you pop along to your local licence place, with the letter from your condo and all your paper work Passport licence etc and ask it they will except it. They will put you right on all aspects.

IE some now do not require a doctors letter my local one hasn't for the last 8 years.

Tip take a Thai speaker with you as they more than likely wont speak any form of English.

Best of luck let us know how you get on.

Yes, US DL in your case.

(the English translations of Thai websites are more or less perfect tongue.png )

I guess one could also show any valid DL in English (not necessarily from your country of nationality).

So, by doing this I would receive a 2 year driving permit, at the end of 2 years, I would just pay money and then could obtain a 5 year license?

Basically yes, but physical tests will be required again and some paperwork.

Generally described here:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3471:renew&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. ORIGINAL ONE-YEAR temporary THAI DRIVING LICENCE

2. PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

3. ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

4. ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Yes, US DL in your case.

(the English translations of Thai websites are more or less perfect tongue.png )

I guess one could also show any valid DL in English (not necessarily from your country of nationality).

Basically yes, but physical tests will be required again and some paperwork.

Generally described here:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3471:renew&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. ORIGINAL ONE-YEAR temporary THAI DRIVING LICENCE

2. PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

3. ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

4. ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)

Correct as according to the law, but not all Licence office's are the same, they all have their own interpretation of what they want, hence I suggested that he pop into his local one to get their ruling.

Where I live not BKK. What's needed.

Proof of address. Used to be done at the police station. Now our Amper (town hall) does it, cost free.

Passport D/L proof of address copies of same.

No medical report needed, (not wanted that for at least 8 years) they even issue a D/L without all the fancy visas, did my first one with a tourist visa.

You don't even have to do an eye test or any test come to that. I do know that in some places you will have to. But you will have to sit though a video all in Thai of how to drive.

• 1 month later...

4) for lower Sukhumwit, which office is recommended to do the above?

5) do they have MD letters available near these offices?

happen to know if there is a DL application form online I can print out , prefer to just have everything ready if possible

i don't know how things are in 2016, but from some old posts looks like if one is not doing 90 day reports, then they can't use Immigration for a

proof of residence letter, so I'll have to use my embassy and pay the $50 I guess. ?

is there a list of bangkok Land Transportation Offices ?

• 4 months later...
On 6/4/2016 at 11:37 AM, chubby said:

well was just hoping to hear 1st hand reports of one Land Office versus another one, in terms of ease of use, strategies to minimize time waster in cue, etc

IF I were to go out to the Land Office  on Upper Sukhumwit   ,  what do you think the  chances  I could get away  with  just a letter  from  my Condo  saying  " he is a resident"  or such ?

or what should I have the condo place say ?

would save me $50 not to have to go to the  US embassy 

3 minutes ago, chubby said:

IF I were to go out to the Land Office  on Upper Sukhumwit   ,  what do you think the  chances  I could get away  with  just a letter  from  my Condo  saying  " he is a resident"  or such ?

or what should I have the condo place say ?

would save me $50 not to have to go to the  US embassy 

I reckon they will tell you to sling it,  but if you have the spare time to waste no harm in trying.