Why wear gold, especially if you know the risks?

giddyup

I can understand a naive tourist wearing his/her gold necklace/bracelet because they may not know any better, but the Thais do it as well, then wonder why someone pulled them off their motorbike to steal it. There are probably occasions where the wearing of expensive gold jewelry may be relatively safe, at a wedding, private party etc, but as everyday wear, surely you're dicing with danger?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate just had gold chain stolen on beach rd pattaya. He come here first time. 2 girls put arm around his neck hug him and that. Before my gf gave me gold chain gift. I was standing next to street and 2 kids on bike grabbed it while passing by. They ripped of my shirt but not chain. Since then its in box.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

I don't think it's as common for the Thais to wear gold nowadays like before,

especially with the amount of theft on the streets happening on a daily basis.

The Thais that do still wear it are probably doing so to express their wealth status

in a society that is extremely materialistic, they do love their gold!

As you said, the naive tourist is always going to be the main target, but the expats

that have been here a while should know better, but some of them also like to show

their wealth too.

My mate just had gold chain stolen on beach rd pattaya. He come here first time. 2 girls put arm around his neck hug him and that. Before my gf gave me gold chain gift. I was standing next to street and 2 kids on bike grabbed it while passing by. They ripped of my shirt but not chain. Since then its in box.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Your mate must be pretty fresh - he may need to brush up on his Ladyboy detection techniques as well, as the odds would strongly suggest that the two "girls", were in fact......not. coffee1.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

I don't think it's as common for the Thais to wear gold nowadays like before,

especially with the amount of theft on the streets happening on a daily basis.

The Thais that do still wear it are probably doing so to express their wealth status

in a society that is extremely materialistic, they do love their gold!

As you said, the naive tourist is always going to be the main target, but the expats

that have been here a while should know better, but some of them also like to show

their wealth too.

Believe me, it still happens frequently. Watch the morning Thai television news.

I certainly wouldn't wear 20 thousand Baht (1 Baht gold weight) notes rolled up around my neck, much less 40! Back 10 or so years ago, it would have been just 500 Baht notes rolled up around my neck.....today's gold prices = 1000 baht notes. No thanks.

And around 10 years ago, my wife and I were visiting friends in Pattaya. While having lunch in a restaurant, a European man and his Thai wife struck up a conversation with us. His wife had what looked like a burn mark around her neck. She explained.....they were riding in a motorcycle tuk tuk and a man rolled up alongside on a motorcycle. He grabbed her chain......lucky for her he dropped it in her lap as he rolled away. Unlucky for her, she'll probably have a permanent tattoo around her neck.

That night, I took off my 2 baht chain that my wife had given me 30 years ago. I don't wear it in public in Thailand anymore.

Hmmmmm, fink some then should forget wearing fip-flops with a Nike logo...........whistling.gif

Disagree Trans.

Nobody is going to rob your flip flops.

Take copy watches, people wear them to tell the time, in their opinion, they look impressive, and if they lose it, or break it, they don't care, it cost them peanuts.

People wear thick gold chains as a show of wealth. If they think it is smart to flaunt it in areas where crime is rife, I say, more fool them.

Unfortunately I think it thought to be fashionable by some to ware a "rob me" sign around their neck.

Anyone with any intelligence who does not stay at 7*+ Hotels, dines out at top restaurants, uses Chauffeur driven cars even for the shortest of trips and mixing with the real upper classes should leave their bling at home ...in their own country.

I certainly wouldn't wear 20 thousand Baht (1 Baht gold weight) notes rolled up around my neck, much less 40! Back 10 or so years ago, it would have been just 500 Baht notes rolled up around my neck.....today's gold prices = 1000 baht notes. No thanks.

And around 10 years ago, my wife and I were visiting friends in Pattaya. While having lunch in a restaurant, a European man and his Thai wife struck up a conversation with us. His wife had what looked like a burn mark around her neck. She explained.....they were riding in a motorcycle tuk tuk and a man rolled up alongside on a motorcycle. He grabbed her chain......lucky for her he dropped it in her lap as he rolled away. Unlucky for her, she'll probably have a permanent tattoo around her neck.

That night, I took off my 2 baht chain that my wife had given me 30 years ago. I don't wear it in public in Thailand anymore.

My wife always wears a necklace and pendant worth about 60 thousand baht. It's not Thai gold, so it's not easily sold for cash, so maybe not as attractive to grabbers. It's called jewelry and you really need to be a female to answer the question of "why wear gold".

She also wears Thai gold necklaces - a baht (15.2 grams) so that's around 20K's worth, and bracelets and rings. There's no reason to own it if you don't wear it. If you need gold for investment purposes, go with the gold bars.

As a guy I never wear jewelry other than my wedding ring, but that's just me - I'm not interested in jewelry... but I understand a female's point of view... and it does look nice.

We always ride a bike too. Just keep it covered when you're riding around and you should be fine. She also keeps a close eye on who's around when we ride around. Wearing a singlet with a huge gold necklace is making one a target.

I don't believe gold bars are a good investment, you may have to pay for an appraisal. Gold coins are the easiest to pass along because they are backed by the country that produced it.have a lot of maple leafs but don't need the cash ATM

I bought gold in 2007 for $900 an ounce.A few years ago it went to $1,900 an ounce.You say not A good

Investment.It went up nearly 100% in 5 years.Maybe not A good investment to you.I was happy with it.

I don't believe gold bars are a good investment, you may have to pay for an appraisal. Gold coins are the easiest to pass along because they are backed by the country that produced it.have a lot of maple leafs but don't need the cash ATM

not a good investment if fake! whistling.gif

1984cut_coin.jpg

I bought gold in 2007 for $900 an ounce.A few years ago it went to $1,900 an ounce.You say not A good

Investment.It went up nearly 100% in 5 years.Maybe not A good investment to you.I was happy with it.

those who bought gold for $1,900 are not happy.

Breaking News....

Rich folk have been advised to drive around in Morris Marina's so low life thieves/muggers will dismiss them.....rolleyes.gif

Have you actually seen one in Thailand???

Edited by Basil B

not a good investment if fake! whistling.gif

1984cut_coin.jpg

I was wondering what the Chinese script said? Possibly "Made In China"cheesy.gif

I never said gold was a bad investment, just gold bullion usually requires an assay, sorry I said appraisal wrong term. I bought my coins from the Canadian mint in 1983 for $300. Sold some for $1000 and some more at $1800 but still have more. As for fakes that looks like Chinese coins and I wouldn't touch their crap for nothing

So did you sell it at $1900/ounce?

Theoretically if you did not sell at $1895/ounce which was the price gold peaked at in 2011 then you will probably have made a loss on the potential profit you could have made...

Gold is now trading at under $1250/ounce, if you still have that gold do you not think a gain of less than 40% in nearly a decade to be a good investment?

P.S. Price for gold in 2007 was $608 - 841 an ounce, you was done... gigglem.gif

http://onlygold.com/m/Prices/Prices1972.asp

So did you sell it at $1900/ounce?

Theoretically if you did not sell at $1895/ounce which was the price gold peaked at in 2011 then you will probably have made a loss on the potential profit you could have made...

Gold is now trading at under $1250/ounce, if you still have that gold do you not think a gain of less than 40% in nearly a decade to be a good investment?

P.S. Price for gold in 2007 was $608 - 841 an ounce, you was done... gigglem.gif

http://onlygold.com/m/Prices/Prices1972.asp

Boring post.

The OP was not about the price of it, but more about the knob heads walking around wearing it.

I never said gold was a bad investment, just gold bullion usually requires an assay, sorry I said appraisal wrong term. I bought my coins from the Canadian mint in 1983 for $300. Sold some for $1000 and some more at $1800 but still have more. As for fakes that looks like Chinese coins and I wouldn't touch their crap for nothing

sure! Swiss fakes are a better investment whistling.gif

post-35218-0-99373600-1460330068_thumb.j

I bought my 2 baht barrel shaped chain for $300 in 1983 and it never comes off. From New York so no one gets close enough and if they did they'd loose a hand

Didn't know New Yorkers had eyes in the back of their heads.