Thailand's 'F' word: Offensive or harmless?

webfact

For the millionth time, the word "farang" is exactly the same as the word "Caucasian." If you are not offended by the word "Caucasian," then explain why you would be offended by the Thai version of that word.

If you refer to people by the colour of their skin, you're a racist.

The label you use for their skin colour is irrelevant.

Nope. Go look up the word 'racism'.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two terms are hardly comparable.

SB - Can you explain why the 2 terms are not comparable, it may help give credibility to your viewpoint.

I find it incredulous that any adult with even a vague knowledge of recent history need ask this question.

And yet you dodged answering it ... clap2.gif

I'm dodging nothing. It's not my job to educate people. If they'd rather revel in their ignorance than educate themselves, more fool them.

By the way, "farang" has nothing to do with skin color. It's only certain deluded farangs in Thailand that are trying to push this flawed agenda.

But you just posted farang is exactly the same as Caucasian

For the millionth time, the word "farang" is exactly the same as the word "Caucasian."

And WiKi says Caucasian = "white-skinned; of European origin."

Boy, you really don't get it. Most Thais would be surprised that farangs are referred to as "white people" in the west. To the Thais, Koreans and Japanese are whiter than farangs. The Thais aren't thinking about skin color, more about simple classifications of people of European descent. If the Thais wanted to call farangs "white people," they would say "Khon Kao." But they don't.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i've been here 14 years and i've always understood

that the word "farang" means Foreign or Alien.

The Thai's also only refer caucasian people as farangs, not other asians or black persons

which then makes it confusing and interpreted to some as racist.

Therefore, if the meaning does mean "Foreign" or "Alien" then everyone who isn't Thai should

be called farang.

Having lived here most of my life,I speak fluent Thai.

Do you just give this one word reply?

There are idioms with pine Apple that might be a clever response but you won't know them.

Dirty but they are laughing AT you.

Ever noticed how they never say khon fArang? They day khon jeen or khon yeepoon etc but always say farang mun when talking about a group of foreigners.

Ask a Thai who you can trust. ALL Thais say this, for example farang mun chawp ap daet. Foreigners IT likes Sun bathing.

If you don't believe this up to you. I have lived here 30 years btw.Thais racism is heard through their language. Many times I've heard things when they thought I couldn't hear or understand.

Thank you for any understanding of this subject . But people do call me Khun xxxx , when they know me well or in business. Or if they write me a letter .

I feel respected by the people who knows me , strangers can call me farang as much as they like.

Khun is a term of respect. "Khon" is not, it just means person. Sawan chan 7 is correct though - Thais say Khon in front of many nationalities but not in front of farang. I've also lived here for decades and the term farang has become derogatory. Just the same way as negro did in the US.

There are some of us willing to stand up for our rights now but sadly those tourists and usually newly arrived retirees bend over and say stupid things like "saparot" or even refer themselves as farang which really annoys me. I think they do it because it is one of the handful of words they know in Thai.

For someone who claims fluency in Thai language to infer that "mun" is solely used with farang is rubbish. In colloquial Thai any individual or group is referred to in that way from time to time, including Thais. Not very polite but commonly used among friends and the meaning is not necessarily negative. It sort of brings the writer's interpretation of the word "farang" into doubt.

"Ever noticed how they never say khon fArang? They day khon jeen or khon yeepoon etc but always say farang mun when talking about a group of foreigners."

This is because jeen and yeepoon are used as nationality identifiers. Put a group of Chinese or Japanese looking people together and I would refer to them as Chinese or Japanese too, possibly wrongly but their respective groups all have common traits that would perhaps put them in their respective barrels. Put a group of Caucasians together and I would have no idea as to where they were all from from their appearance alone so I could not refer to them by their nationality. How the hell are people expected to know where I am from. So referring to me as a farang is fine by me. It seems much more convenient than referring to me as "someone from a different country", which many of the posters seem to prefer over farang.

On the nationality note, once my nationality is known, when people are introducing me to their friends or colleagues, it may be mentioned (not by me) that I am khon Angrit. The word farang would not be used.

Farang can and will be used in a negative way, like any other word; just like a number of posters use the word "Thai" in a contemptuous way. However, in the vast majority of instances no offence is intended so none should be taken.

There are idioms with pine Apple that might be a clever response but you won't know them.

Ever noticed how they never say khon fArang? They day khon jeen or khon yeepoon etc but always say farang mun when talking about a group of foreigners.

Ask a Thai who you can trust. ALL Thais say this, for example farang mun chawp ap daet. Foreigners IT likes Sun bathing.

If you don't believe this up to you. I have lived here 30 years btw.Thais racism is heard through their language. Many times I've heard things when they thought I couldn't hear or understand.

Thank you for any understanding of this subject . But people do call me Khun xxxx , when they know me well or in business. Or if they write me a letter .

I feel respected by the people who knows me , strangers can call me farang as much as they like.

Khun is a term of respect. "Khon" is not, it just means person. Sawan chan 7 is correct though - Thais say Khon in front of many nationalities but not in front of farang. I've also lived here for decades and the term farang has become derogatory. Just the same way as negro did in the US.

There are some of us willing to stand up for our rights now but sadly those tourists and usually newly arrived retirees bend over and say stupid things like "saparot" or even refer themselves as farang which really annoys me. I think they do it because it is one of the handful of words they know in Thai.

For someone who claims fluency in Thai language to infer that "mun" is solely used with farang is rubbish. In colloquial Thai any individual or group is referred to in that way from time to time, including Thais. Not very polite but commonly used among friends and the meaning is not necessarily negative. It sort of brings the writer's interpretation of the word "farang" into doubt.

"Ever noticed how they never say khon fArang? They day khon jeen or khon yeepoon etc but always say farang mun when talking about a group of foreigners."

This is because jeen and yeepoon are used as nationality identifiers. Put a group of Chinese or Japanese looking people together and I would refer to them as Chinese or Japanese too, possibly wrongly but their respective groups all have common traits that would perhaps put them in their respective barrels. Put a group of Caucasians together and I would have no idea as to where they were all from from their appearance alone so I could not refer to them by their nationality. How the hell are people expected to know where I am from. So referring to me as a farang is fine by me. It seems much more convenient than referring to me as "someone from a different country", which many of the posters seem to prefer over farang.

On the nationality note, once my nationality is known, when people are introducing me to their friends or colleagues, it may be mentioned (not by me) that I am khon Angrit. The word farang would not be used.

Farang can and will be used in a negative way, like any other word; just like a number of posters use the word "Thai" in a contemptuous way. However, in the vast majority of instances no offence is intended so none should be taken.

"However, in the vast majority of instances no offence is intended so none should be taken."

Nowadays, this simply isn't true. It's the other way around actually. In the vast majority of instances, it's being used derogatorily and quite often on the assumption that you are too ignorant, naïve, or just plain stupid to realize it. Foreigners who then refer to themselves as "farang" just feed this. Whether you want to "take offense" at it is, of course, up to you, and I'm certainly not recommending any kind of response in kind or display of anger, but you ARE being spoken of insultingly, whether you're aware of it or not (that is, in the vast majority of instances; there are possibly exceptions among the aged who come from a different time when there was no unkindness to the word as there is now).

Thais have chosen to make it the slur word that it now is. Foreigners don't actually need to accept responsibility for that. The Thai language DOES have 2nd and third person pronouns. It's never really necessary to use "farang", even in situations where your specific nationality is perhaps unknown.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i've been here 14 years and i've always understood

that the word "farang" means Foreign or Alien.

The Thai's also only refer caucasian people as farangs, not other asians or black persons

which then makes it confusing and interpreted to some as racist.

Therefore, if the meaning does mean "Foreign" or "Alien" then everyone who isn't Thai should

be called farang.

Farang is a colloquialism used to refer to a caucasian or westerner.

Foreigner, visitor guest = kaek

Alien person = khon taang dao.

Foreign person = kohn taang chaat.

The meaning does not mean foreign or alien.

Nothing confusing about it, the only ones confused are the ones lacking the Thai vocabulary, how can you interpret something you dont understand?

I've never found it offensive. Everybody uses some sort of description of a person when they don't know their name. "That blonde girl" "The guy with the red hair" "The guy with the tie". We all do it; I don't think it's meant to be offensive.

These morons who are so determined to make "farang" a racist term directed at white people, can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that Westerners who have brown and black skin are commonly referred to as "farang" as well.

If you refuse to believe this, stop the next brown or black skinned Westerner you pass on the street and ask if they are ever called "farang." I'll bet 10,000 baht the answer will be yes.

A consistent theme on these threads is that people who know the language advise that offense over this word should not be taken. It's people who are looking for something to take offense about, and haven't taken the time to learn the language that are up in arms about this trivial issue.

"However, in the vast majority of instances no offence is intended so none should be taken."

Nowadays, this simply isn't true. It's the other way around actually. In the vast majority of instances, it's being used derogatorily and quite often on the assumption that you are too ignorant, naïve, or just plain stupid to realize it. Foreigners who then refer to themselves as "farang" just feed this. Whether you want to "take offense" at it is, of course, up to you, and I'm certainly not recommending any kind of response in kind or display of anger, but you ARE being spoken of insultingly, whether you're aware of it or not (that is, in the vast majority of instances; there are possibly exceptions among the aged who come from a different time when there was no unkindness to the word as there is now).

Thais have chosen to make it the slur word that it now is. Foreigners don't actually need to accept responsibility for that. The Thai language DOES have 2nd and third person pronouns. It's never really necessary to use "farang", even in situations where your specific nationality is perhaps unknown.

Okay, I'll take the bait. What would you have them call us? In a group of say Thais, Chinese, Japanese and people of African descent (must be PC here, won't do to offend you) how should a Thai indicate that they are referring to me in a way that is natural and not convoluted? And, to satisfy you, in a way that you do not find derogatory. I come from Europe but I could easily be American, Canadian, Aussie or Kiwi (that is, on looks alone you would not know where I am from).

For the millionth time, the word "farang" is exactly the same as the word "Caucasian." If you are not offended by the word "Caucasian," then explain why you would be offended by the Thai version of that word.

Ridiculous. I watch US news daily and people are constantly referred to by their skin color in the context of a story. Reporters will mention that the perpetrator or victim is white or black or Hispanic or whatever and it's rather normal. I don't know what planet you're from, but in the west--more so than in Thailand--skin color is still an issue and is referred to all the time.

By the way, "farang" has nothing to do with skin color. It's only certain deluded farangs in Thailand that are trying to push this flawed agenda.

Yes, when it comes to news stories/perpetrators etc. their skin colour will often be mentioned. But we're talking about ordinary people talking about other ordinary people - who will/should usually find it a bit rude to describe them in that way.

It wouldn't have crossed my mind to talk about a minority race person (in my own country) as the muslim/black etc. rather than their name or 'the person over there wearing the x coloured shirt'.

Not that this has anything to do with the point of the topic - whether 'farang' is a slightly derogatory term.

The two terms are hardly comparable.

SB - Can you explain why the 2 terms are not comparable, it may help give credibility to your viewpoint.

I find it incredulous that any adult with even a vague knowledge of recent history need ask this question.

And yet you dodged answering it ... clap2.gif

I'm dodging nothing. It's not my job to educate people. If they'd rather revel in their ignorance than educate themselves, more fool them.

And we're back to being rude without putting forward an argument that can be considered/discussed.

Ridiculous. I watch US news daily and people are constantly referred to by their skin color in the context of a story. Reporters will mention that the perpetrator or victim is white or black or Hispanic or whatever and it's rather normal. I don't know what planet you're from, but in the west--more so than in Thailand--skin color is still an issue and is referred to all the time.

Yes, when it comes to news stories/perpetrators etc. their skin colour will often be mentioned. But we're talking about ordinary people talking about other ordinary people - who will/should usually find it a bit rude to describe them in that way.

It wouldn't have crossed my mind to talk about a minority race person (in my own country) as the muslim/black etc. rather than their name or 'the person over there wearing the x coloured shirt'.

Not that this has anything to do with the point of the topic - whether 'farang' is a slightly derogatory term.

But we've covered this. Farang is not a derogatory term, as has been explained. How many different ways do you want it explained to you?

I've never found it offensive. Everybody uses some sort of description of a person when they don't know their name. "That blonde girl" "The guy with the red hair" "The guy with the tie". We all do it; I don't think it's meant to be offensive.

Yes, but when you mother in law calls you 'the guy with the tie' after 5 years of you being married, it starts to sound a bit lame.

And let's face it, this, or something similar, is what is happening to lots of the apologists who defend the use of 'farang'

After years of living, working, being related to the Thais, they still get called 'farang' so either it's a term of affection or they implode.

Just take a look at Berkshires posts, farang is Caucasian, then Koreans are whiter than farang, it just goes on and on with each post being more absurd than the last.

Doesn't matter what 'farang' means, or if it's an insult or polite, it only means that the person using it is judging you by your skin colour and therefore a racist. Racists come in all colour skins.

Just some of the racist judgement that the posters are guilty of, farang are all sex tourists, farang all have loads of money, farang all speak English, farang are all fat and unfit, farang are all drunks, the list of racist assumptions are endless.

Edited by BritManToo

Time to resurrect a quote from Sawan Chan 7.

"Having lived here most of my life,I speak fluent Thai.

If you don't believe this up to you. I have lived here 30 years btw.Thais racism is heard through their language. Many times I've heard things when they thought I couldn't hear or understand. "

Now of course he could be lying about speaking fluent Thai - but it sounds about right to me.

Yes, but when you mother in law calls you 'the guy with the tie' after 5 years of you being married, it starts to sound a bit lame.

And let's face it, this, or something similar, is what is happening to lots of the apologists who defend the use of 'farang'

After years of living, working, being related to the Thais, they still get called 'farang' so either it's a term of affection or they implode.

Just take a look at Berkshires posts, farang is Caucasian, then Koreans are whiter than farang, it just goes on and on with each post being more absurd than the last.

Doesn't matter what 'farang' means, or if it's an insult or polite, it only means that the person using it is judging you by your skin colour and therefore a racist. Racists come in all colour skins.

Man, that's just ignorant. If you would just occasionally post something remotely intelligent or well-thought-out, then I'd be happy to have a sensible discussion. But clearly, you are incapable.

Man, that's just ignorant. If you would just occasionally post something remotely intelligent or well-thought-out, then I'd be happy to have a sensible discussion. But clearly, you are incapable.

You're quite right of course as I've found your comments on this thread to be intelligent, well thought out - and with no hint of using insults rather than reasoned discussion cheesy.gif .

Time to resurrect a quote from Sawan Chan 7.

"Having lived here most of my life,I speak fluent Thai.

If you don't believe this up to you. I have lived here 30 years btw.Thais racism is heard through their language. Many times I've heard things when they thought I couldn't hear or understand. "

Now of course he could be lying about speaking fluent Thai - but it sounds about right to me.

I've met numerous farangs who think they speak fluent Thai. But very few who actually do.

What a silly discussion. The use of the word Farang is not open to debate as far translation or word definition, or who speaks Thai better than another. You can't apply Western values and ideas to an Asian culture. Thailand is an extremely racist society, mainly to their own people. They detest blacks of any race, and anyone of colour or lower status in their own country. I still don't believe farang is generally a term of derision. In some contexts it could be.

If you guys don't know if the word is derisive or not...ask ur missus or a Thai person you trust. My missus says it's not used derogatively. Good enough for me

Edited by Kenny202

"Man" is not automatically a derogatory term. In fact, the first (meaning the most common) definition of this word is the personal pronoun "it, they, them", depending on the context, with no derogatory meaning whatsoever. In the above sentence, the correct translation would be "Foreigners, they like to sunbathe." There is absolutely nothing derogatory about the use of "man" (มัน) in this sentence.

The second usage of this term is derogatory. Whether the use of 'man' is intended to be derogatory or not would depend on the context of the sentence. Obviously, a benign factual statement about foreigners enjoying sunbathing would be translated as "they" like sunbathing, not "it" likes sunbathing.

See attached entry from Mary Haas Thai-English Student's Dictionary for reference:

post-215904-0-03157700-1460706247_thumb.

Edited by Gecko123

So, i've got. A question. to be an 'offensive' word what does a word have to do?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Answer it has to offend .

So, i've got. A question. to be an 'offensive' word what does a word have to do?

So. Lets get to the basics does the word 'farang' offend?

Answer ???? YES

So on that very simple unarguable fact

and in answer to the .original post.

FARANG is offensive .

Edited by rijit

What a silly discussion. The use of the word Farang is not open to debate as far translation or word definition, or who speaks Thai better than another. You can't apply Western values and ideas to an Asian culture. Thailand is an extremely racist society, mainly to their own people. They detest blacks of any race, and anyone of colour or lower status in their own country. I still don't believe farang is generally a term of derision. In some contexts it could be.

If you guys don't know if the word is derisive or not...ask ur missus or a Thai person you trust. My missus says it's not used derogatively. Good enough for me

I agree with the first para - its only rarely used as an expression of derision.

My POV though is that it carries a certain (small ) element of 'inferior' status - otherwise why use the expression when they know our name?

Typically when I hear 'farang' being bandied about at the market - its a discussion as to how much more they should charge me....

First we need to consider whether we're talking about a word that can be used in an offensive context, or a word that is intrinsically offensive regardless of usage.

Whilst 'Farang' qualifies as the former, I don't believe it is the latter. Which means it's not an offensive word, but merely a word some use offensively.

If Thai people were regularly heard saying 'white people are stupid', that would be an offensive comment. But it wouldn't make the word 'white' an offensive word.

If I was to say 'that ni**er sure is handsome', it would be regarded as offensive, even though I was paying them a complement - because I used what is generally regarded as an offensive word.

So. Lets get to the basics does the word 'farang' offend?

Answer ???? YES

So on that very simple unarguable fact

and in answer to the .original post.

FARANG is offensive .

it's offensive because your mind is trained to hear it in that context. Just like Isaan people always sound like they're arguing to me when theyre just having a conversation. It's just their way and it's different to our way.

It is interesting to see how in this debate that those who have reservations about the word are generally polite in their arguments .On the other hand those who believe the word is OK (with a few exceptions) are very often offensive.

SB - 'I would rather they revel in their ignorance than educate them'.

Berkshire = uses 'deluded Farangs' amongst numerous other insults

Gecko123 - 'these morons'

Whether or not the word is offensive or not in derivation it clearly is disliked by a significant number (possibly around the 50% mark) of Westerners. Surely this should be a good enough reason alone for other Westerners and Thai alike (if they are aware of this) to avoid using it especially as it is as unnecessary as the word 'n....r'. Growing up in London 40 years ago this word, amongst others like 'd..o' and 'w..p' were used so frequently by Uk citizens who were quite frankly racist (including my parents). Credit to the UK for pretty well consigning these terms to the history books.