Six injured in THAI flight during air turbulence over Singapore

webfact

Is this similar to a driver fleeing the scene? If passengers were injured close to Singapore why fly them to Bangkok and another 2 hours.

Imagine the immigration mess when 72 passengers show up with assorted passports that may and may not get them into Singapore. Not to mention the onward travel arrangements of some of the 72.

Add that to the cost of an unscheduled stop in a very busy and (I imagine) expensive airport, balanced against what the OP refers to as "slight injuries".

Seems like the 2 additional hours was a reasonable decision. But, of course, I wasn't there to second guess the pilot.

Edited by impulse

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not looking for reasons---just having been here and back for 38 years maybe you will realize I have witnessed Thai going from the best down to near the costliest, and now near bankrupt...............Have a look at Air Asia and Singapore etc to see how an airline should be managed

I make it a point not to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person!

Enjoy the rest of your life.

Not at all unusual for airlines to have full flights one way and nearly empty return. The Christmas/New Year flights tend to be like that for many destinations. Also one off charter flights tend to be full in only one direction.

The crew may have reached their working hours limit and the only available option was to return to the aircraft's operating base, even if it was near empty, although the norm is for a down route crew change if possible, with the off duty crew returning as passengers.

Your in denial ?? anymore excuses for Thai Airways, Do you deny Thai are over priced ?? you never mentioned this FACT.

I wasn't denying anything, I wasn't responding to the question of price, as you've correctly pointed out! However, I did point out that occasional empty aircraft are an industry wide occurance, not just a Thai Airways issue!

But you carry on looking for reasons to knock Thai Airways!

Oh, and it's *You're* not "Your". You're being the diminutive of *You are*.

YOUR last sentence, I am awfully sorry for the typo dear beloved TEACHER, get real---no need, you are only TRYING to be be clever--not actually being clever.

Not looking for reasons---just having been here and back for 38 years maybe you will realize I have witnessed Thai going from the best down to near the costliest, and now near bankrupt...............Have a look at Air Asia and Singapore etc to see how an airline should be managed

I make it a point not to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person!

Enjoy the rest of your life.

Was not even attempting to battle, you are the nasty one, and of course the clever one----BYE

one note: that's probably not blood, it looks more like tomato juice or something else from the passengers meal tray.. don't think turbulence wold have caused that kind of blood loss unless they were thrown up in the air and impaled on something sharp..

A head wound can result in serious blood loss. If the person involved had their seat belt unfastened, the first thing to collide with an overhead locker or air vent would be their head.

Boxers concentrate head blows on the eyebrows and forehead because the opponent is fighting blind if they can open up a cut.

A tomato juice or other foodstuff hypothesis does not explain why the adjacent seat is unmarked.

it would have a 310 people capacity... so 72 is not a whole lot, considering its the starting day for songkran...

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thai_Airways/Thai_Airways_Boeing_777-200_772.php

Yes turbulence can be nasty, but what caught my eye was 14 staff for 72 passengers on a 777. I wonder how much Thai Air loses on that one. Perhaps their fares are to blame for low passenger numbers if this is any indicator.

I've been invited to visit friends in Canada this summer, so I went to Kayak and searched for return fare prices. The range in $US was from 726 to 5459 for 1 economy seat -- BKK to Toronto return. The fare of $5449 was with Alitalia, but Thai air came up as the second highest at $4915. Now, I can understand that the Italian airline isn't too interested in flights routes including Thailand, but you'd think the Thai flagship airline -- the pride of Thai commercial aviation would make some sort of effort to price themselves competitively for flights to and from their own country. Instead, they are almost 7 TIMES HIGHER than the lowest available fare.

I guess one could argue that 72 passengers at an average of 6 to 7 times the price of the lowest fares is a good business model, and that might be true if the heavily tax-supported airline wasn't catering to the rich and elite but instead serving the average Thai citizen.

I stopped using Thai Air two years ago after 12 years because of their high air fares. But they just keep on keeping on Thai style.

The plane depicted in the picture in not a 777 who has 3 rows of seats, more likely a 737 variety....

but for the local repotting the incident it's close enough.....

Can you tell that from the picture? Could the seats on the right hand side of the picture just be the middle bank of 3 or 4 seats?

I don't see any overhead lockers above that row of seats, do you ? rolleyes.gif

The thing is, those cheap airlines, even Thai Airways, do not avoid heavy pocket shadows, they go straight through it to safe fuel and dont give a crap about turbulence.

When you travel with good airlines, you hardly ever feel turbulence because the pilots are good and plan ahead of time to avoid turbulence.

Yes, an interesting and newsworthy topic to read on this forum.

What a shame after reading all so-far to come away with the feeling, rather than the facts of the matter, the majority of posts are just members having a go at each other.

Doesn't make for good reading, a real shame.

Please heed the request to keep seat belts (at least) loosely fastened at ALL times, even when the seat belt sign is off. If could save your life.

I'm amazed that so many pax flick it off when the sign is extinguished. You may think you are, or appear to be, a cool traveler, but in reality you're a complete d***head for doing so!!

You're not Marco Polo, and the very first person to have travelled. Crew give appropriate warnings for a reason, and Clear Air Turbulence, despite best efforts, is very difficult to forecast.

Yes, an interesting and newsworthy topic to read on this forum.

What a shame after reading all so-far to come away with the feeling, rather than the facts of the matter, the majority of posts are just members having a go at each other.

Doesn't make for good reading, a real shame.

You're so right. This is a great cautionary tale for all of us who fly.

But we're only likely to remember what Johnny called Tommy under the monkey bars at recess. Because this was Thai air, and couldn't happen to me...

Have a good look at the blood or Coke or wine or tomato sauce, or whatever it was on the seat. Remember it, and remember to fasten your seat belt. Then this thread is in the win column.

Just 72 passengers on a 777. Lets hope that is just the Songkran effect or things are not looking good.

Sorry to say this BUT, agree with the above, no wonder Thai are in a desperate situation capacity for a 777 aircraft but only 72 seated.

either the route has too many airlines OR Thai prices are far too high, please any feedback on the actual price on this flight for ECONOMY ??

Turbulence can happen at any time, just unfortunate on this occasion. BELT UP AT ALL TIMES WHEN SEATED

You need to take into account the aircraft possibly operated on the outbound sector with a full passenger compliment. That would preclude the user of a smaller aircraft if that was the case.

Airlines carry cargo in addition to the passenger luggage. That in itself can be quite profitable. If it was a 3 class configuration then perhaps business and first class were relatively busy. Again, generating revenue.

Glad a safe result ensued.

Just 72 passengers on a 777. Lets hope that is just the Songkran effect or things are not looking good.

Sorry to say this BUT, agree with the above, no wonder Thai are in a desperate situation capacity for a 777 aircraft but only 72 seated.

either the route has too many airlines OR Thai prices are far too high, please any feedback on the actual price on this flight for ECONOMY ??

Turbulence can happen at any time, just unfortunate on this occasion. BELT UP AT ALL TIMES WHEN SEATED

You need to take into account the aircraft possibly operated on the outbound sector with a full passenger compliment. That would preclude the user of a smaller aircraft if that was the case.

Airlines carry cargo in addition to the passenger luggage. That in itself can be quite profitable. If it was a 3 class configuration then perhaps business and first class were relatively busy. Again, generating revenue.

IT IS THAI NEW YEAR---why would it be loaded outbound and not IN ?? it was a B 777.-------1st class busy with non paying VIP-(regular with Thai)--------any more excuses----because Thai are running at a loss so what are you talking about "PROFITABLE" I agree with your final 3 words

IT IS THAI NEW YEAR---why would it be loaded outbound and not IN ?? it was a B 777.-------1st class busy with non paying VIP-(regular with Thai)--------any more excuses----because Thai are running at a loss so what are you talking about "PROFITABLE" I agree with your final 3 words

Happy new year chap.

I just highlighted how it generally works in the airline industry. I personally have no interests in TG so don't care whether they make money or not.

Happy new year chap.

I just highlighted how it generally works in the airline industry. I personally have no interests in TG so don't care whether they make money or not.

Safe new year with you......agree airline industry on average IF managed ok.----I have a Royal Orchid card but has not been used for a decade. Europe with EVA--Emirates--Etihad ------Just a real shame NITS are running it into the ground--biggest problem being competitive.

There is a bit more than price involved when it comes to passenger numbers.

I came back from China on an Orient Thai flight where my wife and I were the only 2 passengers on the aircraft. It was great, our luggage was at the bottom of the steps when we disembarked and we were out of DM within 20 minutes of landing.

Edited by sandyf

I am glad to read that this flight did successfully get to Bangkok, and there were

only a few injuries. I have flown a lot of times in my life, and it does not seem to matter

whether it is within Canada, or across the globe, there is usually at least one idiot on the

flight, who does not stay buckled up, or who is still wondering around when the staff

is saying to sit down, and return to their seats. There are people who will take their shoes off

even before the planes taxis out to the runway for take off. For your information, Takeoff

is one of the most dangerous of segments of the whole flight. The aircraft is racing down the runway

with the engines operating at a high RPM and flaps out for extra lift. During this stage of flight, there are quite a few things that can occur, and if you survive a crash on takeoff, you will definitely want to have your shoes on to get away from the crash site. I have talked with flight crews and pilots, who have survived

crashes, and that is one of the many things I have heard about.

Geezer

I am glad to read that this flight did successfully get to Bangkok, and there were

only a few injuries. I have flown a lot of times in my life, and it does not seem to matter

whether it is within Canada, or across the globe, there is usually at least one idiot on the

flight, who does not stay buckled up, or who is still wondering around when the staff

is saying to sit down, and return to their seats. There are people who will take their shoes off

even before the planes taxis out to the runway for take off. For your information, Takeoff

is one of the most dangerous of segments of the whole flight. The aircraft is racing down the runway

with the engines operating at a high RPM and flaps out for extra lift. During this stage of flight, there are quite a few things that can occur, and if you survive a crash on takeoff, you will definitely want to have your shoes on to get away from the crash site. I have talked with flight crews and pilots, who have survived

crashes, and that is one of the many things I have heard about.

Geezer

There was a time, not sure if it still applies, when pax were instructed to remove shoes before evacuating via escape slides in case heels, women's shoes particularly, punctured the slides.

Page 3 of Airbus' Flight Operations Briefing Notes says......High-heeled shoes and sharp objects must also be removed, because these objects can cause damage to the slide during an evacuation. That's dated 2007 and may have changed. High heels aren't much good for running in when you hit the ground anyway, if they didn't puncture the slide on the way down.

I do recall a time, certainly up to late 90's, when part of the brief was for ALL pax to remove shoes and sharp objects from their person before an evacuation.

Stargrazer, you are a lucky (or maybe unlucky??) guy having spoken with pilots and 'flight crews' (Pilots ARE the flight crew, cabin attendants are cabin crew, incidentally!!) who survived crashes. In over 20,000 hours flying, I never had the opportunity to talk with crew who survived a crash, let alone crashes of civilian aircraft!

I did work with a former helicopter pilot who survived a crash during the Vietnam war, but there was no evacuation order by the cabin crew for that one.

Edited by F4UCorsair

a post about turbulence on an airplane ........turns into a debate about airplane seating configuration and then into a debate about coke/ tomato juice/red wine stains and then about how the PM ( love him or hate him ) affects the numbers of passengers on a plane.

TVF members sure know how to hijack a post

It must have been sudden turbulence if so many cabin crew were injured. Normally they wd go to their seat stations and strap in - also you can see it's a two aisle wide body from the roof design.

Started flying thaiairways again on the London Bangkok route after 5 years with Eva. Surprise... Newer planes, better infotainment, more toilets, nicer passengers who don't open the blinds during sleep hours, as much booze as you want, lovely food, better service, pricing is more or less the same and you can usually stretch out as the plane isn't packed like on EVA

Edited by Cook my sock

It is really necessary to photograph this bloody mess?

Is this what the injured person's family want to see?

Perhaps a simple description would surfice.

What can we expect in the future, body parts depicted?

Negative comments are not welcome without knowledge of all the facts and witness statements.

It's possible the person just returned to his seat and did not have time to buckel up. Perhaps the belt was not long enough or malfunctioned.

I really miss common sense.coffee1.gif

I do not think that was blood on the seat, looks more like someone's tomato juice, (or Bloody Mary).

It must have been sudden turbulence if so many cabin crew were injured. Normally they wd go to their seat stations and strap in - also you can see it's a two aisle wide body from the roof design.

Started flying thaiairways again on the London Bangkok route after 5 years with Eva. Surprise... Newer planes, better infotainment, more toilets, nicer passengers who don't open the blinds during sleep hours, as much booze as you want, lovely food, better service, pricing is more or less the same and you can usually stretch out as the plane isn't packed like on EVA

I recall a trip down to KL a few years ago with Air Asia on a A320, flight was smooth, then a little bit of flutter, then within seconds we were in free fall, stewardess was a few rows in front of me, she quickly pulled herself to the floor, grabbing onto the seats either side of the isles and digging hers feet under the seats of the row in front of her facing me, her knees in the air, ...not a pretty sight.

In the adjacent seat was my then girlfriend who had never flown before, I estimate we must have dropped some 200 or more feet, (based in my student pilots experience, induced stall & spin), only lasted a few seconds, but by then my ex had her arms round my neck and was sobbing her eyes out, thankfully most people were strapped in and no injuries.

Bit of bumping around for the next 20 minutes or so before the seat belt signs were switched off, I now had another worry, how the hell was I going to coax my ex on to the return flight? seems the experience was soon forgotten and she enjoyed the uneventful return flight.

I used to travel low-cost weekly between BKK & SIN and almost every flight we had turbulence just before starting the descent into SIN. One time we had a sudden bump resulting in my red wine and other people drinks heading for the ceiling and spraying several rows including ours. A few rows back one poor guy was struck by a falling bag from the locker which burst open and ended up getting first aid from the co pilot and me, nasty head injury. We all had seat belts on but crap can still happen.